Film (movie) Music

Started by vandermolen, August 12, 2008, 12:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko Keskinen

Howard Shore's music is one of the very few things I liked in Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.  8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

vandermolen

Quote from: Alberich on January 20, 2019, 04:47:01 AM
Howard Shore's music is one of the very few things I liked in Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.  8)
The music has grown on me over the years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2019, 07:30:10 AM
The music has grown on me over the years.

I enjoyed Jackson's LOTR and thought the music suited it well but I haven't listened to it separately from the films. I definitely didn't enjoy his overblown Hobbit; I collected the DVDs as they were issued but gave them to a charity once I realised I would never watch them again.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2019, 11:38:19 PM
I have that 'Return of the King' CD which is very nicely produced. I'm not 100% sure about Howard Shore's score for LOR and I once read a review which referred to it as 'barely adequate'. I certainly don't agree with that and have loads of permutations of the score 'LOR Symphony' etc. There are moments I think very highly of 'The White Tree' or the music got the Mines of Moria but, as a whole, I prefer works like Basil Poledouris's score for 'Conan the Barbarian' which I (seriously) rate alongside Prokofiev's 'Alexander Nevsky'.

Well, to be fair, film music isn't my forte or really something I'm all that knowledgeable about. My favorite film score composers are Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2019, 10:51:25 AM
Well, to be fair, film music isn't my forte or really something I'm all that knowledgeable about. My favorite film score composers are Jerry Goldsmith and Ennio Morricone.

Many rate LOR score v highly. Jerry Goldsmith is possibly my favourite film composer, especially for the original Planet of the Apes, The Omen and especially Damien: Omen II and Capricorn 1.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 01:48:11 AM
Many rate LOR score v highly. Jerry Goldsmith is possibly my favourite film composer, especially for the original Planet of the Apes, The Omen and especially Damien: Omen II and Capricorn 1.

All great scores from Goldsmith, too! 8)

vandermolen

Currently enjoying this very atmospheric score. I haven't seen this version but Poledouris is one of my favourite film composers and I have enjoyed everything I have heard by him:

vandermolen

Currently enjoying this.
I like the emotive cover image as well:

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2019, 02:59:43 AM
Currently enjoying this.

Very dramatic cover, haven't heard the music or seen the film.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 14, 2019, 03:03:43 AM
Very dramatic cover, haven't heard the music or seen the film.
The film is more of a documentary - it's on DVD and I enjoyed it.

Yes, the cover's good.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2019, 02:59:43 AM
Currently enjoying this.

That is very clever and imaginative cover art.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2019, 11:52:00 AM
That is very clever and imaginative cover art.
Glad you think so Fergus and welcome back!
:)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Being quite a fan of Jerry Goldsmith's work but not actually owning any of his film scores, I bought these recordings this afternoon:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 15, 2019, 04:48:52 PM
Being quite a fan of Jerry Goldsmith's work but not actually owning any of his film scores, I bought these recordings this afternoon:

I'm a great fan of the Planet of the Apes and Omen soundtracks. I think that the soundtrack of 'Damien Omen II' is even better with its 'Black Mass' and extraordinary use of the Jew's Harp in the title music. I think that my daughter had it as her mobile ring tone!

Here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmixJmXSyc

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2019, 10:37:56 PM
I'm a great fan of the Planet of the Apes and Omen soundtracks. I think that the soundtrack of 'Damien Omen II' is even better with its 'Black Mass' and extraordinary use of the Jew's Harp in the title music. I think that my daughter had it as her mobile ring tone!

Here it is:

We share similar tastes.  I met the percussionist who worked with Goldsmith on the original Planet of the Apes and he demonstrated all the exotic percussion instruments used in that score.  It was absolutely fascinating to see the score come back to life in his hands.  He worked closely with Frank Sinatra and toured the world with him.  At each place they visited, he would aquire a new percussive instrument to add to his collection.  Ultimately he had a room full of exotic/primitive instruments like these:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2019, 10:37:56 PM

Here it is:

Actually, all of these soundtracks I bought are outstanding the best I can remember. I remember hearing bits from Rambo: First Blood on Sirius radio (when my dad was subscribed to them) many years ago and I was thoroughly impressed by what I heard. Chinatown was another favorite as it's main theme has haunted me for a long time.

As a consequence of your post, Jeffrey, I bought a copy of Damien: Omen II and can't wait to hear it. In fact, I bought some others as well:

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 16, 2019, 06:24:53 AM
We share similar tastes.  I met the percussionist who worked with Goldsmith on the original Planet of the Apes and he demonstrated all the exotic percussion instruments used in that score.  It was absolutely fascinating to see the score come back to life in his hands.  He worked closely with Frank Sinatra and toured the world with him.  At each place they visited, he would aquire a new percussive instrument to add to his collection.  Ultimately he had a room full of exotic/primitive instruments like these:

Gosh - that is so interesting and I love the look of those instruments. My dad would have been most impressed that he worked with Frank Sinatra as well!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2019, 06:48:43 AM
Actually, all of these soundtracks I bought are outstanding the best I can remember. I remember hearing bits from Rambo: First Blood on Sirius radio (when my dad was subscribed to them) many years ago and I was thoroughly impressed by what I heard. Chinatown was another favorite as it's main theme has haunted me for a long time.

As a consequence of your post, Jeffrey, I bought a copy of Damien: Omen II and can't wait to hear it. In fact, I bought some others as well:

Excellent John! Although I'm most jealous that you have a 'De-Luxe edition' of Damien: Omen II coming. My daughter and her cousin became obsessed with the opening titles music and used to play it on their mobile phones at family dinner parties! Her cousin even wanted it played at his wedding but his fiancé unsurprisingly vetoed the idea. I have an old Jerry Goldsmith compilation album 2CD set (one of the series performed by the Prague Philharmonic) and I remember that the original 'Total Recall' extract was one of the highlights. I don't know the others although remember thinking highly of 'Chinatown' as a movie when it first came out.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2019, 07:14:20 AMExcellent John! Although I'm most jealous that you have a 'De-Luxe edition' of Damien: Omen II coming. My daughter and her cousin became obsessed with the opening titles music and used to play it on their mobile phones at family dinner parties! Her cousin even wanted it played at his wedding but his fiancé unsurprisingly vetoed the idea. I have an old Jerry Goldsmith compilation album 2CD set (one of the series performed by the Prague Philharmonic) and I remember that the original 'Total Recall' extract was one of the highlights. I don't know the others although remember thinking highly of 'Chinatown' as a movie when it first came out.

Very cool, Jeffrey. 8) I try my best to find the original soundtracks. You need to get Rambo: First Blood. You really do. It's outstanding. Other Goldsmith soundtracks I'm looking at: Alien, Logan's Run, and Poltergeist.