What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
The former. The vintner (Steinmühle) labelled his wine "Secco" in bold and in small print "Perlwein mit zugesetzter Kohlensäure". In any case, quite delicious.

Sarge

Absolutely there are some delicious bubblies among that kind. We particularly love the two bubblies (pink and green) made thus from this vintner: http://www.tauchnerwein.at/ Just absolutely delicious and perfect for any occasion, since the price makes it easy to open one at EVERY occasion.
Don't buy their Fass X. I'm trying to buy it all up, whatever they have left.  ;)

Ghost Sonata

I am going to enjoy a nice, hot cuppa Orange Pekoe tea, something I used to do with my dearly departed Granny who loved the brew.  I've got some French coconut cookies who've been looking forward to meeting that tea.  Was greatly amused to read on the Twining's box that "Despite its name, this tea does not contain orange flavor..." Shows how all those horrid flavored teas, ugghh  >:(, dominate the market.   
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on November 12, 2016, 02:15:10 PMI've got some French coconut cookies

I can't even remember the last time I had a cookie...but I want one so badly now!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 12, 2016, 01:58:45 PM
Absolutely there are some delicious bubblies among that kind. We particularly love the two bubblies (pink and green) made thus from this vintner: http://www.tauchnerwein.at/ Just absolutely delicious and perfect for any occasion, since the price makes it easy to open one at EVERY occasion.
Don't buy their Fass X. I'm trying to buy it all up, whatever they have left.  ;)

Thanks for the recommendation. The Frizzante Green has the price crossed out. Ausverkauft? How is their Veltliner? I'm always hesitant to buy that varietal without sampling first: some of the worst wine I've ever had...some of the best.

Sarge

Spineur

Scallops season is back.
Yesterday we made some with a leek fondue.  I was hoping there would be some leftover for my lunch at work, but everything got cleaned up.

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2016, 02:37:46 PM
I can't even remember the last time I had a cookie...but I want one so badly now!

Sarge

You deserve a seat at the table upon which these are piled high, calling out for your attention and delectation (the French have a wicked and yummy way with these) :

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2016, 02:46:19 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. The Frizzante Green has the price crossed out. Ausverkauft? How is their Veltliner? I'm always hesitant to buy that varietal without sampling first: some of the worst wine I've ever had...some of the best.

Sarge

Ausverkauft? SOB. But they'll have more; it's not like it's a vintage thing. And the Pinky is very, very similar, actually.

They have different Veltliner's. I like Krems-Veltliners, generally, but I hear you. Not aggressive and no longer violently cheap as they might have once been, 20, 30 years ago. I'm away from my copious notes that I've taken, but when back in Vienna, I'll consult them and let you know.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on November 14, 2016, 11:15:09 AM
You deserve a seat at the table upon which these are piled high, calling out for your attention and delectation (the French have a wicked and yummy way with these) :

Thank you. I'll see if Amazon has them.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 14, 2016, 02:34:41 PM
Ausverkauft? SOB. But they'll have more; it's not like it's a vintage thing. And the Pinky is very, very similar, actually.

They have different Veltliner's. I like Krems-Veltliners, generally, but I hear you. Not aggressive and no longer violently cheap as they might have once been, 20, 30 years ago. I'm away from my copious notes that I've taken, but when back in Vienna, I'll consult them and let you know.

I replied to this in the wine thread.

Sarge

Spineur

We had duck with apples and a bottle of cider.  Duck, pintade, and to a lesser extend chicken are great with some acidity.  Standard recipies are with oranges here in France.  My favorite combination is with apricots and/or peaches.  Apples are very nice too.

James

Core breakfast every morning ..

- mineral water, baby aspirin
- 2 raw eggs in a glass
- half of grapefruit (alternate/substitute with veggies like steamed broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus or green beans, usually leftovers from night before)
- avocado (sometimes a little later than the main course)
- one cup of coffee, black (or with a splash of almond milk)
Action is the only truth

Bogey

Quote from: James on November 20, 2016, 07:18:51 AM
Core breakfast every morning ..

- mineral water, baby aspirin
- 2 raw eggs in a glass
- half of grapefruit (alternate/substitute with veggies like steamed broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus or green beans, usually leftovers from night before)
- avocado (sometimes a little later than the main course)
- one cup of coffee, black (or with a splash of almond milk)

Nice!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SurprisedByBeauty

Had a little dinner-gettogether with friends and was, along with another friend, in charge of the main course which we'd mostly prepare at his place, then bring over. (For reasons of space constraints but also conveniently giving us a little time away from the crowd to chat and have a glass and marvel at his new hunting guns.) Anyway, we strolled through a magnificent gigantic Delikatessen in the middle of the slaughterhouse (so quarantined off, by now, you didn't even notice were you where, as hardly any smells were emitted) and figured that a convenient way of making-transporting was to go with quails.

So we got a dozen Quails
Stuffed them to the hilt with a mix of
chopped green coriander, the zest of several limes and the juice of one, a bit of soy sauce and dried bird's eye chili liberally crumbled into it.
On the outside the birds were salted, peppered, got a fresh leave of sage attached like a purple heart... and had it affixed to them with a slice of lardo.
Wrapped the whole lot of birds in aluminum foil, threw them in a now empty carton of wine, brought them over, and into the oven they went, for some 40m at ~high temperature.
Spectacular results, despite being easy-peasy. The Lardo had completely disappeared and become one with the bird. The lime and and chili provided a bit of spark, and the rest was juicy deliciousness.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 21, 2016, 01:08:05 AM
So we got a dozen Quails
Stuffed them to the hilt with a mix of  chopped green coriander, the zest of several limes and the juice of one, a bit of soy sauce and dried bird's eye chili liberally crumbled into it.
On the outside the birds were salted, peppered, got a fresh leave of sage attached like a purple heart... and had it affixed to them with a slice of lardo.  Wrapped the whole lot of birds in aluminum foil, threw them in a now empty carton of wine, brought them over, and into the oven they went, for some 40m at ~high temperature.
Spectacular results, despite being easy-peasy. The Lardo had completely disappeared and become one with the bird. The lime and and chili provided a bit of spark, and the rest was juicy deliciousness.

Sounds delicious. I'll have to try that sometime...providing I can find a source for quail.

Sarge

SonicMan46

o we got a dozen Quails
chopped green coriander, the zest of several limes and the juice of one, a bit of soy sauce and dried bird's eye chili liberally crumbled into it.
On the outside the birds were salted, peppered, got a fresh leave of sage attached like a purple heart... and had it affixed to them with a slice of lardo.
Wrapped the whole lot of birds in aluminum foil, threw them in a now empty carton of wine, brought them over, and into the oven they went, for some 40m at ~high temperature.

You're back - great!  :)  The Quails above sound great, a favorite of ours - Susan often buys whole quail and does a simple sautéed recipe w/ onions and salt/pepper - plus, invariably if I end up at a restaurant w/ a quail offering, then my main course!  Good to see you here again - Dave

Bogey

Had a little dinner-gettogether with friends and was, along with another friend, in charge of the main course which we'd mostly prepare at his place, then bring over. (For reasons of space constraints but also conveniently giving us a little time away from the crowd to chat and have a glass and marvel at his new hunting guns.) Anyway, we strolled through a magnificent gigantic Delikatessen in the middle of the slaughterhouse (so quarantined off, by now, you didn't even notice were you where, as hardly any smells were emitted) and figured that a convenient way of making-transporting was to go with quails.

So we got a dozen Quails

Wow!  We need a pic next time when this type of meal is plated at your end.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2016, 06:37:55 AM
Wow!  We need a pic next time when this type of meal is plated at your end.

There were some other delectables, made by the home-team: Truffle polenta and Eggmatoes, as I have just decided to call them: Tomatoes decapitated, hollowed out, and filled with a spiced, raw egg mixture. Topped with cheese. Interestingly, they needed A LOT of time in the oven, well shielded from the heat by the tomato, for the egg to harden inside.

But will repeat the quail part (and maybe the Polenta) for Thanksgiving dinner... so there's a chance of obliging. Still pondering side dishes. Cranberries will be involved, somehow. Heck, I think I'll go to a market now and see if I find inspiration.

SurprisedByBeauty

Voila, the lime & coriander stuffed quails.

Bogey

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 25, 2016, 06:31:44 AM
Voila, the lime & coriander stuffed quails.

Excellent.  Post cooking photo if you have it.

North Star

Lunch today
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr