What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I'm eating a lot at a local Veracruzan (the Mexican city) restaurant. Not my pictures, but they'll give you a good idea:

Cochinita pibil (pork marinated in spices & orange juice) tacos

Picaditas

SurprisedByBeauty

If they tasted half as good as they looked, you were in for a treat.

I'm making a batch (~4lbs) of bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) now, with all the stale bread that's accumulated over the last half year. The great advantage in this is that the variety of bread and esp. prevalence of Pretzels makes the dough much more interesting than the usual 'white Kaiser-roll' bread that you can buy for the purpose.

Will be used in dinner tonight, which I expect to be a cream-mushroom-beef-strips stew of sorts (taken out of the round; from the a local butcher-friend-of-the-extended-family) with said dumplings. I use about 2x the amount of eggs most recipes ask for, which makes the Semmelknödel fluffy to the point of total silliness!  ;D

NikF

Back from the gym and enjoying daal makhani accompanied by a garlic and coriander naan, although the latter is not of my own making. And one pint of milk, also not of my own making.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mahlerian

Cooked myself a meal of sauteed cod in white wine sauce with asparagus on the side.  It turned out pretty well!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mahlerian on December 16, 2016, 04:21:56 PM
Cooked myself a meal of sauteed cod in white wine sauce with asparagus on the side.  It turned out pretty well!

Where in the world is it asparagus season right now? New Zealand?

Brian

For those who want to read a really, really harsh restaurant review from yours truly:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniel's into it and passed it to a new customer."

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 14, 2016, 07:37:25 AM
I'm making a batch (~4lbs) of bread dumplings (Semmelknödel) now, with all the stale bread that's accumulated over the last half year. The great advantage in this is that the variety of bread and esp. prevalence of Pretzels makes the dough much more interesting than the usual 'white Kaiser-roll' bread that you can buy for the purpose.

Will be used in dinner tonight, which I expect to be a cream-mushroom-beef-strips stew of sorts (taken out of the round; from the a local butcher-friend-of-the-extended-family) with said dumplings. I use about 2x the amount of eggs most recipes ask for, which makes the Semmelknödel fluffy to the point of total silliness!  ;D
Man, this sounds great!

GF and I threw a dinner party on Saturday and made, for the first time, cassoulet - complete with duck confit. Took 7 lbs. of lard to make the confit, but the cassoulet was delicious. :) Paired it with some reds, both rustic and refined, from California and Southern Oregon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 21, 2016, 06:56:11 AM
For those who want to read a really, really harsh restaurant review from yours truly:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/with-atandt-stadium-club-the-dallas-cowboys-have-a-cleveland-browns-quality-restaurant-8987826

"At one point, a waiter arrived at the bar with a half-full glass of a brown liquor and set it down next to some newly-made drinks. A bartender looked at that glass, poured some Jack Daniel's into it and passed it to a new customer."
Man, this sounds great!

Ouch! Scathing review. I love it! :D I have found places like that to be ridiculously overhyped.

NikF

Post gym - fried beef with bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, onions and tomatoes. Egg fried rice. One pint of milk.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

And tonight on my way back from the surprisingly quiet gym I picked up chicken chow mein and sesame toast with crispy seaweed from the surprisingly busy takeaway. But the biggest surprise of all was that I'd forgot to buy milk.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on January 05, 2017, 02:16:10 PMBut the biggest surprise of all was that I'd forgot to buy milk.

??? ??? ??? ...maybe this is a sign that you're ready to be weaned  :D ;)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 05, 2017, 02:21:16 PM
??? ??? ??? ...maybe this is a sign that you're ready to be weaned  :D ;)

Sarge

Hahaha. No chance.  :laugh:

NikF

Run, run, run, in the chill and dark, into the park, along the path, around the vacated and mostly iced over duck pond, then on the way back into the deli/cafe for -

Ghost Sonata

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

NikF

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on February 23, 2017, 05:00:15 PM
Do not forget: next Tuesday is Pancake Day!  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pancake-day-2017-when-why-9646680

I won't forget, but thanks for the reminder. :) My grandmother made pancakes and I was always fond of them. Spoiled/sour milk? - not a problem because very little was ever wasted. Yeah, pancakes. ;D

Sergeant Rock

No one has eaten anything of interest in the last two weeks?  ;)

Tonight Mrs. Rock tried a new recipe, and it was really delicious: fish on a bed of rhubarb (sweetened with a bit of brown sugar), yellow bell pepper and celery. We wanted cod loins but our fishmonger was sold out so we settled on pollock filets. Rice was made interesting with coriander seeds, star anise and Ras el hanout (a spice mix from North Africa). We drank a German grand cru (GG) Riesling from Philipp Kuhn.

We had an interesting aperitif: a drinkable, low acid, vinegar from Weingut Doctorenhof in Venningen (the Pfalz).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
No one has eaten anything of interest in the last two weeks?  ;)

Tonight Mrs. Rock tried a new recipe, and it was really delicious: fish on a bed of rhubarb (sweetened with a bit of brown sugar), yellow bell pepper and celery. We wanted cod loins but our fishmonger was sold out so we settled on pollock filets. Rice was made interesting with coriander seeds, star anise and Ras el hanout (a spice mix from North Africa). We drank a German grand cru (GG) Riesling from Philipp Kuhn.

Sarge, that does all sounds delicious!
I just had a few girl scout cookies. You win.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 11, 2017, 12:05:43 PM
Sarge, that does all sounds delicious!
I just had a few girl scout cookies. You win.

Well, I'm actually jealous  :D  I haven't had a girl scout cookie since I retired from the Army and settled permanently in Germany. Both me and my German mother-in-law miss the peanut butter variety.

Sarge

vandermolen

Emmental cheese - apparently one of the 'healthiest' cheeses to eat.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2017, 12:11:40 PM

Is it? Good to know as it's one of my favorites.

Sarge

Spineur

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2017, 12:11:40 PM
No difference between Emmental, Comté, Swiss, Beaufort, ...  All are cooked (which kills some of the unwanted germs, and this is the "healthy" part).  But in term of fat, 40%, no good.  In term of cholesterol it gets worse if you  combine it carbohydrates (pasta, bread).  Tends to contain too much salt (bad for the kidneys&heart).  Some people claim that wine helps, but there are no proof that it is true.
The least detremental cheese for your health is goat (preferably the fresh kind).  Less fat, salt... sheep cheeses are sort of OK also.