What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 11:58:57 AM
No one has eaten anything of interest in the last two weeks?  ;)

I think I was the only one posting for a while and it was like spamming the thread. So I stopped.

Tonight Mrs. Rock tried a new recipe, and it was really delicious: fish on a bed of rhubarb (sweetened with a bit of brown sugar), yellow bell pepper and celery. We wanted cod loins but our fishmonger was sold out so we settled on pollock filets. Rice was made interesting with coriander seeds, star anise and Ras el hanout (a spice mix from North Africa). We drank a German grand cru (GG) Riesling from Philipp Kuhn.

We had an interesting aperitif: a drinkable, low acid, vinegar from Weingut Doctorenhof in Venningen (the Pfalz).

Sarge, as ever Mrs. Rock has cooked you up some fine fare. :) Good stuff.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 12:42:50 PM
I think I was the only one posting for a while and it was like spamming the thread. So I stopped.

But I love spam...especially fried...a staple of my poor childhood  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 12:48:32 PM
But I love spam...especially fried...a staple of my poor youth  ;D

Sarge

A staple of your poor youth? It was a foundation of mine! ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 12:51:23 PM
It was a foundation of mine! ;D

;D :D ;D  ...I just asked Mrs. Rock if she'd ever eaten Spam and she said yes, when we were first married, and she loved it (if we did eat it, the memory escapes me utterly). But she's German so processed pork products are in her blood (literally)  ;D

Anyway, we weren't technically poor when I was a kid (my father always had a good job with a decent salary) but it was a large family (eight mouths to feed) so pickin's were slim before payday and fried mush, Spam, pre-fab, out of a can, choy main, and fish sticks were often served at dinner.

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 12:18:30 PM
Is it? Good to know as it's one of my favorites.

Sarge
Article in the paper or online last week listed cheeses which were 'healthier' for you. Emmental came out high protein and better than others. However, Spineur has provided a more scientific response.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 12:51:23 PM
A staple of your poor youth? It was a foundation of mine! ;D
Mine too - always had it at school.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 01:07:24 PM
;D :D ;D  ...I just asked Mrs. Rock if she'd ever eaten Spam and she said yes, when we were first married, and she loved it (if we did eat it, the memory escapes me utterly). But she's German so processed pork products are in her blood (literally)  ;D
Mrs. Rock could probably cook it up a treat. Spam is as versatile as hell. :)

I had a relationship with a German woman (she was over in the UK finishing up her doctorate) and she introduced me to all manner of those processed pork products. Some were from a monthly kind of travelling euro market, but most often from a shop called Lidl. That's the only meat we ate for almost two years... I forgave her though, because she was cute as hell and introduced me to the music of Brahms, Mahler, and Schumann. ;D

Anyway, we weren't technically poor when I was a kid (my father always had a good job with a decent salary) but it was a large family (eight mouths to feed) so pickin's were slim before payday and fried mush, Spam, pre-fab, out of a can, choy main, and fish sticks were often served at dinner.

Sarge

'Fried mush' sounds strangely familiar. :)
But yeah, that's a big family. I was raised by my grandparents. My grandmother would do her best all week with the cooking, but as the end of the week neared the cooking pot - no matter what was already cooking in it - had an increasingly higher ratio of pasta/macaroni added to pad things out.
But spam, yeah - I believe that to this day a cross section of my biceps would reveal layer upon layer of spam fritters. ;D

NikF

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2017, 01:12:04 PM
Article in the paper or online last week listed cheeses which were 'healthier' for you. Emmental came out high protein and better than others. However, Spineur has provided a more scientific response.

*All things in moderation - that's the way I roll. And to be blunt, I'm 109 years old now (sorry Sarge ;D) and I'm as healthy as hell. I haven't had an illness in years, I lift weights, spar in the boxing ring, and consort with young ladies. I just eat what I want as long as its within my daily TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and if that means I'm heading for health problems, well, I'll worry about it later. But as ever, each to their own. :)

*Well, perhaps most things in moderation.  8)

vandermolen

I'm sure that tomato ketchup is responsible for my healthy complexion.

NikF

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
I'm sure that tomato ketchup is responsible for my healthy complexion.

Damn, I knew there was something I forgot to pick up from the shops...  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 01:35:28 PMAnd to be blunt, I'm 109 years old now (sorry Sarge ;D)

No need to be sorry...I'm 110, and still kicking  ;D

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:02:44 PM
No need to be sorry...I'm 110, and still kicking  ;D

Sarge

Yeah, and just you keep ahead of me.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
Yeah, and just you keep ahead of me.  ;D

I'm sinking fast so you'll undoubtedly catch up and pass me soon.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the photos I wanted to show you. Just trying to decide which ones to begin with.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 11, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
My wallet

I hear leather boiled isn't too bad...if you are really hungry  ;D

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
I'm sinking fast so you'll undoubtedly catch up and pass me soon.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the photos I wanted to show you. Just trying to decide which ones to begin with.

Sarge

No way, Sarge. You obviously still have an appetite. And also, in the two years I've been posting here you haven't aged one bit in your profile photo ;D Anyway, I'm probably a lot older than you think - I just act and feel like I'm still 21.  8) :laugh:

Cool. When you choose the photos I'll be glad to look at them. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 01:25:01 PM
I had a relationship with a German woman and she introduced me to all manner of those processed pork products...most often from a shop called Lidl.

I'm not allowed to go into a Lidl now. Mrs. Rock had an altercation with a cashier some ten years ago and has had a vendetta against the entire Lidl corporation ever since. But Wurst isn't exactly hard to find in this country ;)  And there are some healthier options; for example, a quite tasty sliced turkey breast with a pepper crust I discovered in a butcher shop a few days ago.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 02:25:46 PM
No way, Sarge. You obviously still have an appetite. And also, in the two years I've been posting here you haven't aged one bit in your profile photo ;D

I know, amazing isn't it? I haven't aged a day since WWII  ;D

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:26:06 PM
I'm not allowed to go into a Lidl now. Mrs. Rock had an altercation with a cashier some ten years ago and has had a vendetta against the entire Lidl corporation ever since. But Wurst isn't exactly hard to find in this country ;)  And there are some healthier options; for example, a quite tasty sliced turkey breast with a pepper crust I discovered in a butcher shop a few days ago.

Sarge

;D I'll give my local branch a disapproving look the next time I pass. ;D

That pepper crusted turkey breast sounds good. :) There's a new deli opened near where I live and I'll need to check it out.
Anyway, this nostalgic talk has helped me decide to make one of my auld granny's favourite meals - mince and tatties. Och aye the noo. ;D

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:29:17 PM
I know, amazing isn't it? I haven't aged a day since WWII  ;D

Sarge

Yeah, forget counting the years - let's talk about counting the amount of royalties you must've earned.   :laugh:

e: lend us a quid? ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 02:34:06 PM
Yeah, forget counting the years - let's talk about counting the amount of royalties you must've earned.   :laugh:

They haven't paid me a damn cent for my image and exploits. I should sue.

Sarge