What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:36:52 PM
They haven't paid me a damn cent for my image and exploits. I should sue.

Sarge

Tell them you'll accept it in spam rations?  ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 02:42:34 PM
Tell them you'll accept it in spam rations?  ;D

I'd rather have K- and C-rations  ;D  I ended my time in service consuming MREs in the field but I still fondly remember the C-ration cans of ham and eggs.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 11, 2017, 02:56:32 PM
I'd rather have K- and C-rations  ;D

Sarge

I had to Google those and wow - no wonder you're so well preserved, Sarge. ;D

Actually, that's quite interesting. 'Canned Spread'? The mind boggles... :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 11, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
'Canned Spread'? The mind boggles...

I've been retired for over twenty-five years but I think some of those rations haven't come out yet. There was a rumor that the "food" in those rations was designed for that very purpose  ;D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock excelled for a second night in a row, with two new recipes: a black salsify cream soup with saffron and saffron infused vinegar; and a Cajun chicken/avocado sandwich with a mayonaise/garlic/lime sauce. We had the saffron vinegar also as an aperitif. Drank a Sekt (German sparkling wine) from Schloss Wachenheim.

It will be my turn to cook tomorrow night. I'll probably order pizza  ;D

Sarge

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 12, 2017, 01:25:32 PM
Mrs. Rock excelled for a second night in a row, with two new recipes: a black salsify cream soup with saffron and saffron infused vinegar; and a Cajun chicken/avocado sandwich with a mayonaise/garlic/lime sauce. We had the saffron vinegar also as an aperitif. Drank a Sekt (German sparkling wine) from Schloss Wachenheim.

Sarge

As ever, Mrs. Rock serves up a fine platter. Good stuff. :)

Tonight I ate mince and tatties. I planned to take a photo, but that was superceded at the last moment by greed. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on March 12, 2017, 01:48:55 PM
As ever, Mrs. Rock serves up a fine platter. Good stuff. :)

Tonight I ate mince and tatties. I planned to take a photo, but that was superceded at the last moment by greed. ;D

Tatties, I understand (I think  ;) ) but what is mince...mincemeat?

Sarge

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

NikF

Yeah, that's it. But the carrots are an unheard of exotic addition, far too posh for the likes of me...  ;D

Spineur

Did you try one of these restaurants ?

http://www.theworlds50best.com/index.html

I welcome invitations !  :P

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Spineur on April 05, 2017, 05:07:38 PM
Did you try one of these restaurants ?

http://www.theworlds50best.com/index.html

I welcome invitations !  :P

I'm surprised that I have; No.10, at that. But Hiša Franko looks really interesting, actually... would be an excellent goal for a bike-tour from Klagenfurt, I imagine... through that national park to a fantastic dinner.
And I'm writing the places in Tokyo down, for later this month. Perhaps I can convince someone with the company credit card to take us there. ;-)

Brian

My friends have been to No. 17 (Le Bernardin). I in fact know one person who has been to 10 of the 50 and is a regular at No. 1!!

I haven't been to any of the 100; my girlfriend vetoed a possible visit to No. 66 Estela because she thought the menu not very exciting.

Not sure which is the more surprising inclusion: No. 87 Per Se, recently torched by NYC critics, or No. 88 Selfie - a restaurant called Selfie?!??!?!

Sergeant Rock

Tried a new recipe, cooked it up a few days ago: Mexican Chicken Stew with Chipotle; and Quinoa with Black Beans and Cilantro. Mrs. Rock made the guacamole. We drank San Miguel, a Spanish beer.

Sarge

North Star

Speaking of guacamole, I bought avocados a week ago, had never even tasted them before as far as I know. Good stuff, although I've not done anything fancy with them - on toast with lemon juice and a thin slice of ham works nicely.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on April 08, 2017, 10:52:40 AM
Speaking of guacamole, I bought avocados a week ago, had never even tasted them before as far as I know. Good stuff, although I've not done anything fancy with them - on toast with lemon juice and a thin slice of ham works nicely.

I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow  8)

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 12, 2017, 01:25:32 PM

Sarge

The crazy thing is  the saffron and its price. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on April 09, 2017, 10:23:00 AM
The crazy thing is  the saffron and its price.

Yeah, crazy about covers it (although it is labor intensive to produce and I suppose justifies the price...if you like it). We spend a small fortune on it but love its taste, especially in Tandoori chicken, and paella. And apropos saffron, just tonight Mrs. Rock put it in rice. The flavor was faint but discernible but contributed to a very expensive meal that included vintage champagne.

Cod and scallops, saffron rice, asparagus...and the champagne, Bollinger La Grande Année 2005

Sarge

Mirror Image

On tonight's menu: brown sugar/orange juice marinated bone-in pork chops sizzled to perfection on our customary grill, roasted Yukon gold potatoes coated in olive oil/salt/pepper, and whole green beans sautéd in soy sauce. Dessert will probably be a delectable Mayfield ice cream sandwich.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2017, 11:51:58 AM
On tonight's menu: brown sugar/orange juice marinated bone-in pork chops sizzled to perfection on our customary grill

Sounds great. I'll have to try that.

Sarge