What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on May 13, 2008, 06:51:51 PM
Speaking of fish, my last two lunches have consisted of a nice strip of smoked salmon....never really had it much, but now that I have, I cannot get enough.........................

Bill - boy, I've been eating 'smoked' salmon since the late '60s, first introduced to the product then by my Jewish in-laws who lived in New Jersey (near NYC) @ the time - I've been ADDICTED ever since - continue your exploration of this wonderful (and quite varied) product - just a superb treat (w/ or w/o bagels & cream cheese!) -  :D

Quote from: uffeviking on May 14, 2008, 06:41:06 AM
Glad you found it, but that's the smoked variety, available the year around at a very high price. As I understand it, Alaska Airlines has their own Copper River Salmon Shuttle flying the fresh fish all over the US. I don't know where you live, but if it's a fairly big city you probably can find it at a store there.  8)

Lis - I've had that Copper River Salmon several times - just delicious!  I understand your attraction to this fish - an Oregon Pinot Noir is my favorite wine w/ salmon (regardless of its origin), but I may have already mentioned this affinity in the past!  ;) :D

Tonight - ate in - grilled duck breast w/ a bok choy/mushroom veggie - sorry, but had some Pinot Noir w/ this dish - excellent!  :)

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on May 14, 2008, 04:54:37 PM
but I may have already mentioned this affinity in the past!  ;) :D

You have never mentioned Pinot Gris, at least I don't remember. During my conversation in the local grocery store I have mentioned above, the gentleman told me about the origin of the discovery of those grapes. You like the white variety? When it comes to wine, I follow your recommendations; it's the devouring of anything that kreucht und fleucht - doesn't eat you first, we are parting our ways!  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on May 14, 2008, 05:28:49 PM
You have never mentioned Pinot Gris, at least I don't remember. During my conversation in the local grocery store I have mentioned above, the gentleman told me about the origin of the discovery of those grapes. You like the white variety? When it comes to wine, I follow your recommendations; it's the devouring of anything that kreucht und fleucht - doesn't eat you first, we are parting our ways!  :D

Hi Lis - think the quote came from the Cooper River salmon posts - I mentioned liking Pinot Noir w/ that fish (also w/ rare tuna) - always have some in the cellar from Oregon & California - and starting to explore those from New Zealand!  :D

But, I also drink a lot of Pinot Gris (or Grigio - same grape) - trying to get away from those 'oaky' chardonnays!  Currently, I have a couple of Oregon Pinot Gris in the basement, including the '06 King Estate, a perennial favorite recently - have sampled some from Washington State (but few seem to be shipped to NC); also, many North Carolina (and Virginia) wineries use the grape, and 'once in a while' make a decent wine - of course, the origins of this grape are in the Alsatian area down into Italy, but I only occasionally sample those wines, which are often highly recommended.  :)  Dave

toledobass

The Copper River salmon around these parts is running close to $40 a pound....what's up with that?

Allan

uffeviking

Quote from: toledobass on May 15, 2008, 12:35:42 PM
The Copper River salmon around these parts is running close to $40 a pound....what's up with that?

Allan

Allan, does your store have their salmon travel first class?
Fresh, packed in ice, off the plane, it's $17.99 per pound. 'These parts' is where? South Africa?  ::)

SonicMan46

On a long weekend trip to Richmond, Virginia - great historic city w/ plenty of Gem attractions in AAA & an excellent place to eat!  Staying at the wonderful Jefferson Hotel - will be having the outstanding jazz champagne Sunday brunch tomorrow (I concentrate almost solely on the seafood offerings!) (lower lobby pic below where the brunch is held) - will exercise in the AM (might burn up enough calories to equal a few jumbo shrimp!  ;D)!

Last night we ate at the Bookbinder's Restaurant - original in Philadelphia; probably our third dinner @ this place & always consistent - wife wanted something light, so I planned our identical dinners - shared a dozen oysters (what else for us!) & lumped crab meat cocktail (this is some of the best lumped crab I've ever had - pieces the size of your thumb tips!); followed by a spring salad (fresh arugula,  goat cheese, & pine nuts tossed lightly in a wonderfully light & subtle dressing); main course was actually a special appetizer for the night - half of a chilled lobster w/ two giant jumbo shrimp (must have been 4-5 inches long!) - of course, some wine, Pinot Grigio - shared a homemade mango sorbet & a delicious key lime pie w/ a chocolate graham cracker crust - we will RETURN on our next visit!   :)

Tonight, tried a 'new' restaurant for us, the Pomegranate on Cary Street (plenty of great places in that restored downtown area near the canal) - surprisingly, we wanted the same dinner; started out w/ a wonderful salad (cantaloupe w/ arugula/thin cheese/prosciutto - again, a subtle dressing); both of us had the lamb chops grilled wonderfully w/ grilled asparagus tips & an absolutely superb mushroom risotto - just shared berry dessert caramelized w/ fresh whipped cream; a few glasses of red Burgundy for me -   ;D 

12tone.

Just came home from White Spot (a restaraunt chain here in Canada...BC at least) and finished one of their cheese cakes.  Although this picture here isn't the one from White Spot, it's still a cheese cake  :D

I also had some of this:

Although, I'm finding the taste funny on this one.  I've heard and read about 'Dutching' in chocolate and I heard from another board (a chocolate-based one) that Lindt dutches their chocolate...at least their 99% bar.  I find their 85% to be very 'chemical' tasting...perhaps from the dutching?  Anyway, it's an okay chocolate. 

vandermolen

Toast with Marmite and Tomatoes  :P  Am on a diet as I am too FAT.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Lilas Pastia

Yesterday with a friend at a nice french bistro, appropriately called Bistro Justine.

Sushi style fresh tuna Niçoise. A beautilful salad with a generous supply of greens, tomato wedges, hard eggs, endive leaves, olives, topped with good sized slices of marinated raw tuna, and the essential anchovy fillet.

Braised Lamb shank with figs. Perfectly cooked, light in flavour, it melted in the mouth. Served with zucchini and figs relish, some grilled grees and only a few very thinly scalloped potatoes. Very good french bread to scoop up the sauce ;D.

No salt shakers on the tables, only giant pepper grinders.

Excellent private imports on the wine list, served by the glass. I had this one: Domaine La Bastide, Plenitude, 2005. This was simply outstanding. Being private imports, they're not available in liquor stores. I was curious to find out more. I found a review from a wine publication:
The grapes used (Syrah, Merlot and Pinot Noir) mean that this cannot bear the Corbieres appellation one might expect as Pinot Noir and Merlot are not allowed within this appellation. The wine is therefore classified as a vin de pays: but what a vin de pays! The majority Syrah gives it power and massive bramble and liquorice flavours while the Merlot rounds it out and the Pinot Noir provides some real elegance. Supple, with great length, this is fantastic value.

M forever

Quote from: uffeviking on May 14, 2008, 05:28:49 PM
it's the devouring of anything that kreucht und fleucht - doesn't eat you first, we are parting our ways!  :D

"was Fleucht" means "what flies", so are you saying you don't eat birds either?

uffeviking

Of the fliegende variety I only eat chicken - and they usually don't do much flying anyhow. - Wild ones, like quail, ducks and geese, et al, are save from me.

orbital

A wheat heavy diet today.
This one for breakfast:

And this for lunch

and now:

I've been eating so many of these plums lately that I've lost count  :P

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on May 19, 2008, 09:33:56 AM
A wheat heavy diet today.
This one for breakfast:

Burek - yees! My favorite breakfast, twice or three times a week usually.

(poco) Sforzando

Right now lunch is consisting of two dishes made from Clothilde Dusouillier's excellent "Chocolate and Zucchini" cookbook - diced fresh turkey in a curried yogurt dressing with raisins and greens on a multi-grain baguette, and afterwards a slice of her yogurt cake with an apple. (The apple is not in the recipe book.)
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

orbital

Quote from: Drasko on May 19, 2008, 09:46:34 AM
Burek - yees! My favorite breakfast, twice or three times a week usually.
It is the best! I had it with tea on the waterfront  0:) the one I particularly like is the one that is plain (no cheese) with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on May 19, 2008, 11:25:33 AM
It is the best! I had it with tea on the waterfront  0:) the one I particularly like is the one that is plain (no cheese) with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

Plain burek is either the most fabulous or completely horrible, there is no saving grace (cheese, minced meat...). Totally depends on the knowledge of the maker. I usually only buy plain where I'm sure the maker is capable.

Those plums, are those not ripe yet? There is one sort around here that looks lot like one in that picture, mostly grows wild, very small round species. When ripe become first yellow than red and sweet but I like them while still green, sour as hell.

orbital

Quote from: Drasko on May 19, 2008, 11:39:24 AM
Plain burek is either the most fabulous or completely horrible, there is no saving grace (cheese, minced meat...). Totally depends on the knowledge of the maker. I usually only buy plain where I'm sure the maker is capable.

Those plums, are those not ripe yet? There is one sort around here that looks lot like one in that picture, mostly grows wild, very small round species. When ripe become first yellow than red and sweet but I like them while still green, sour as hell.
This is the perfect season for them. It is a variety that is special to a very limited geography I think. They are ripe now, hard, juicy and very sour. I enjoy them with some salt. 

How about these?

I like those a lot too.

Bogey

Leftovers from last night's eating at the Cheesecake Factory.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz