Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

This looks for all the world like a disemboweled alien critter  :P

Bogey

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on May 19, 2008, 05:14:03 PM
This looks for all the world like a disemboweled alien critter  :P

And you have a problem with this? ( ;))
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Lilas Pastia

Only if it starts reproducing itself in my stomach ;).

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on May 19, 2008, 12:22:33 PM
This is the perfect season for them. It is a variety that is special to a very limited geography I think. They are ripe now, hard, juicy and very sour. I enjoy them with some salt. 

Have to be the same ones as here, they look just too similar, how do you call them?

QuoteHow about these?

I like those a lot too.

Have no idea what is that.

SonicMan46

Amazing how our 'Eating Thread' can go for a week w/o a post - I need to lose a few pounds & wish I could just fast for a week!  ;D

But, on this holiday weekend, wife & I took an overnight trip to Greensboro, North Carolina (just less than an hour from us) - visited the famous Guilford Courthouse Battlefield (Nathaneal Greene was in charge of the American forces against Cornwallis - hence the birth of 'Greensboro') - we stayed at the Proximity Hotel, a new place w/ -wonderful 'old timey' architectual themes to resemble an old factory - wonderful room + a great 'holiday' reduced rate!

Hotel restaurant is called the Print Works Bistro - did not know 'what' to expect, but the experience was wonderful - started out w/ a great salad of mixed greens w/ nuts & fried cheese & a light dressing - my main course was the special of swordfish on top of a veggie of snap peas w/ onions/fennel (better than my description) - of course, I had a couple of glasses of a Santa Barbara TAZ Pinot Gris - dessert, we shared a wonderful cheese course w/ some North Carolina dessert wine (from Childress Vyds - if you're passing through this area, I can certainly recommend this place to stay & to eat!  P.S. stopped by the bar on the way out of the restaurant to see if there were any 'local beers' - YES, a Nattie Greene brewery (of course, named after Nathanael Greene of the battle fame!) - had some of their dark amber - delicious!  Wonderful overnight vist -  :D

orbital

Quote from: Drasko on May 20, 2008, 09:19:21 AM
Have to be the same ones as here, they look just too similar, how do you call them?

Have no idea what is that.

They are called "maltese plums" here for some reason. They are very juicy, semi sweet (though I prefer the sour ones) with 3 or 4  big seeds in the middle. Let me see if I can find the English name for it.

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on May 27, 2008, 04:23:54 AM
They are called "maltese plums" here for some reason. They are very juicy, semi sweet (though I prefer the sour ones) with 3 or 4  big seeds in the middle. Let me see if I can find the English name for it.

It's called Japanese Medlar, they are rather rare around here, that's why I couldn't recognise the picture. But I absolutely adore regular Medlar, which is fairly common here. I always tend to overstuff myself with it since its season is very short.

Lethevich

I had salad (with apple slices and grapes) with taleggio cheese for lunch. I hadn't had taleggio for so long, I was getting withdrawal symptoms :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

For lunch I had a favorite sandwich but one I can't indulge in often (have to watch my cholesterol): an egg, fried hard (yoke broken) on wheat toast smeared with Miracle Whip. Squeeze an ample amount of Heinz ketchup on top. Disgusting and totally delicious.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 27, 2008, 06:25:38 AM
For lunch I had a favorite sandwich but one I can't indulge in often (have to watch my cholesterol): an egg, friend hard (yoke broken) on wheat toast smeared with Miracle Whip. Squeeze an ample amount of Heinz ketchup on top. Disgusting and totally delicious.

Sarge

I was with you till the ketchup.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on May 27, 2008, 06:26:31 AM

A healthier alternative, which Mrs. Rock prefers, is sliced tomatoes and diced onions on top the egg instead of ketchup.

Sarge

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 27, 2008, 06:25:38 AM
For lunch I had a favorite sandwich but one I can't indulge in often (have to watch my cholesterol): an egg, fried hard (yoke broken) on wheat toast smeared with Miracle Whip. Squeeze an ample amount of Heinz ketchup on top. Disgusting and totally delicious.

Sarge

The Miracle Whip is probably the worst part of that -- a combination of fat and sugar.  The ketchup is a little less objectionable; although it's loaded with sugar, it at least has tomato concentrate which is loaded with bioflavenoids.  I won't comment on the taste.  I prefer my fried egg sandwiches smeared with butter, with sliced tomato, bacon, and cheese melted all over it.   Add a big cafĂ© au lait, and it's is enough to keep me happy from breakfast to dinner. :D

Unfortunately, today as usual, my lunch will be another Lean Cuisine entree.  210 calories, practically no fat, and even less taste. :(

toledobass

Quote from: MN Dave on May 27, 2008, 06:26:31 AM

Same here.....for me, it's also screaming for some bacon or fried salami.

Allan

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bunny on May 27, 2008, 09:11:21 AM
I prefer my fried egg sandwiches smeared with butter, with sliced tomato, bacon, and cheese melted all over it.

Bacon and cheese...now there is a healthier alternative to my egg sandwich  ;D

Miracle Whip is, of course, one of the unhealthiest condiments ever invented and we do use it sparingly. But it is the secret ingredient in many of my mother and grandmother's recipes and I have many testimonials to my cooking to prove it....although my egg sandwich wouldn't fall under that category  :D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Today's lunch is considerably healthier; leftovers from last night's dinner, Country Captain, Paul Prudhomme's Indian-style chicken recipe slightly changed by Mrs. Rock. The major change is substituting lentils for the rice. Here are the ingredients (the page from our very used and food-stained copy of the book):

Sarge

SonicMan46

Well, stimulated by an article in the Winston-Salem Journal on soft shell crabs, my wife stopped by Sea Products today (owner, George Streblow, interviewed), and picked up 4 'jumbo' crabs (looked like the one shown below); she put together a wonderfully simple dinner - sauteed the crabs in oil/butter after a light flour dredge - we had 2 each (kind of looked like the pic in the article mentioned - my camera was not @ hand to take a pic - they did look beautiful) - BOY, these were absolutely delicious!

Simple side dish of cherry tomatoes sauteed w/ a little oil, fresh chopped garlic, & topped w/ fresh basil (could have had twice as many!).  Wine for the evening was Franciscan Chardonnay 2006 vintage (not the one shown) - excellent value; not strongly oaked but plenty of crisp lemon tropical flavors - just fine w/ the crab - probably a lot made, so worth a search, if available!

Music w/ the meal - something relaxing (my wife's preference) - Lute Music of the Renaissance w/ Joachim Held on the Hanssler label - a great bargain from the BMG club -  :D

SonicMan46

Well, I can't believe that no one has responded in a week or so!  ::)  All on a diet?  ;D

Tonight, the LOML was out to a 'hot dog' dinner - I refused to attend, so for the evening alone for me:

Lobster - bought live locally and steamed by me (details if interested, quite simple & fast!)

Salad - some fresh garden greens w/ a raspberry dressing + pecans, blue cheese, & fresh cut stawberries - really good!

Chardonnay - Ch. Ste. Michelle '05 from Indian Wells w/ a little age - great w/ the lobster!  :)

Maybe I should ask my spouse to go out for 'hot dogs' more often -  ;) ;D

Sergeant Rock

Ladies and gentlemen, the eating and wine threads have now moved to the classical listening thread  ;D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on June 07, 2008, 04:52:59 PM
Well, I can't believe that no one has responded in a week or so!  ::)  All on a diet?  ;D

Tonight, the LOML was out to a 'hot dog' dinner - I refused to attend, so for the evening alone for me:

Lobster - bought live locally and steamed by me (details if interested, quite simple & fast!)

Salad - some fresh garden greens w/ a raspberry dressing + pecans, blue cheese, & fresh cut stawberries - really good!

Chardonnay - Ch. Ste. Michelle '05 from Indian Wells w/ a little age - great w/ the lobster!  :)

Maybe I should ask my spouse to go out for 'hot dogs' more often -  ;) ;D

I'm really impressed Dave. Most husbands, whose wives were out for the evening, would heat up a TV dinner. Not you!  :D

Sarge

P.S. Mrs. Rock wants to know what the brown things are sticking out of your salad. Bread?