What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: Corey on September 06, 2008, 02:59:44 PM
Some real comfort food: angel hair pasta in white sauce (I think to be bechamel it has to have nutmeg — correct me if I'm wrong). Slightly more trouble to make but much more filling than tomato sauce.

Hmmmm...no nutmeg and it's on pasta?   Just call it balsamella and you get a lot more leeway.  Then dig in.

Allan

SonicMan46

Susan & I our currently on a 5-day trip to Memphis, TN - her first visit here (my second) - staying @ the famous Peabody Hotel (see the vacation thread for some more details on the hotel & some of the activities in this historic American musical city!):

First night, we ate at the Peabody's Chez Phillipe - yes, expensive, but beautiful setting & superb service - both started out w/ oysters on the half shelf - I had a wonderful Scottish salmon on a bed of 'lemon' spinach, and a wonderful tomato sauce that just went perfect w/ the fish - we both had the soufflé dessert which was lemon flavored w/ a reduced delicious berry sauce.

Second night, decided to eat on Beale Street at a place w/ some music - picked the King Palace Cafe - extensive menu and quite good - shared a cup of their famous gumbo (could have a large bowl for dinner); standard salad; main course was swordfish w/ rice & veggies - quite tasty but not great; music was 'jazzy' w/ a well-known local guitarist & keyboard player - highlight was that the guitarist called for some 'singers' from the audience (we were there early); my wife decided to go up there and sing Summertime (one of her specialties) - got plenty of claps, and even the next day when we were touring Graceland, a couple of people in the line w/ us who had heard her sing were quite complementary!  8)

Tonight, we did Memphis barbecue - what style to try!  I like 'dry-rubbed', so went to Charles Vergos' Rendezvous, a wonderfully atmospheric 'basement' (large!) restaurant just a half block from our hotel - the ribs were absolutely delicious!  The accompaniments included coleslaw & baked beans (w/ pieces of pork - could have had 4x the amount!)!

Well, a couple more days here - may need a 'follow-up' post -  ;) ;D

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on September 06, 2008, 03:42:04 PM
Hmmmm...no nutmeg and it's on pasta?   Just call it balsamella and you get a lot more leeway.  Then dig in.

Allan

Maybe next time I'll throw some parmesan in there and call it Mornay. Mmmmmm...  :D

uffeviking

What have I been eating? applies to this. The creative artist in me was fascinated by my empty plate, lovely colour combination and shapes. What was it I had?

orbital

some type of tomato salad?

---
Me I've been having a lot of apples lately. 4-5 a day. It is the ideal time for my favorite apple variety. I don't know what it is called and I could not find a picture on the net. This variety has a sour tasting skin (red and green in color), and a semi-sweet, juicy and hard inside (green). They are only on the market for about 3 or so weeks, so I eat all that I can find  :-*

Bogey

Quote from: orbital on September 08, 2008, 12:08:32 PM
some type of tomato salad?

---
Me I've been having a lot of apples lately. 4-5 a day. It is the ideal time for my favorite apple variety. I don't know what it is called and I could not find a picture on the net. This variety has a sour tasting skin (red and green in color), and a semi-sweet, juicy and hard inside (green). They are only on the market for about 3 or so weeks, so I eat all that I can find  :-*

This page may interest you then Orbital....even has a forum.  I average 2-3 a day myself.
http://www.allaboutapples.com/index.htm
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Well, a few posts back, I mentioned our trip to Memphis - still eating well and just a couple of more recommendations for those who might be visiting this interesting city:

Sunday Champagne Brunch @ the Peabody Hotel - just $32; the usual breakfast/lunch offerings but just wonderful for this price - I'm not a huge brunch fan unless the offerings are quite varied; I invariably skip 'breakfast' type selections (although these were great here - including an omelet station) - I stuck w/ seafood (i.e. smoked fish, salmon, several baked fish selections), plus some excellent sushi offerings - believe that we did quite well w/ the price - just had some 'light' bar food for dinner!  :D

Carpriccio Grill - the same restaurant in the hotel which offered the brunch above; I decided to just 'eat in' for our last night - not a bad choice at all! Started w/ the clam appetizer perfectly steamed w/ a great sauce + Portuguese sausage (and some nice chunky bread for the wonderful sauce); main course was veal piccata w/ sautéed spinach - I adore veal!  This veal was superb, so I was quite pleased!

All around, Memphis is an outstanding city for eating w/ plenty of varied cuisines - we were not disappointed and just 'touched' the many culinary options in our short 5-nighter!  ;D

Lilas Pastia

Allan, Corey: Béchamel is simple white sauce: salted butter, flour and milk. Quantities vary depending on the purpose. Typically, it's one tbsp each of butter and flour, with 1/4 cup of whole milk.

For a Fondue Parmesan, the béchamel must be very thick (double the butter and flour quantities). When done, add parmesan (50/50), eggs or egg yolks (one to a cup of sauce), line a buttered 'brownies' pan with the contents, refrigerate and cut into squares. Roll into whipped whites, coat with bread crumbs and deep fry: you get scrumptious 'fondues Parmesan'.
They can also be cooked in the oven  (at high heat). Serve on 'Boston' lettuce. Pinot Grigio is the natural mate with those 0:)

If the sauce is light, mix it with drained, chopped spinach, add a whole egg or two and cook in muffin shells:L sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving. Divine!

Adding nutmeg to the bechamel is a typically northern twist. Mandatory in belgian cuisine, often found in dutch or german dishes as well. From the southern climates, chopped fresh herbs are the norm. For the Fondue Parmesan: add no herbs or spice. For the spinach servings: nutmeg is mandatory,

From the USA  ;D I strongly recommend a good helping of sharp cheddar; pour generously on cooked pasta, season with freshly ground black pepper. That one's a hit with kids !

Kullervo

Had the same thing for dinner tonight, but tried it with nutmeg this time. I thought it was going to be strange since I normally associate nutmeg with sweet things but it adds a nice depth of flavor. The cheddar idea sounds delicious — I can't believe I hadn't thought of that!

I should probably get some vegetables here before I die of scurvy. ;D

orbital

Quote from: Bogey on September 08, 2008, 03:38:07 PM
This page may interest you then Orbital....even has a forum.  I average 2-3 a day myself.
http://www.allaboutapples.com/index.htm

Amazing site. I've gone through most of the varieties, but could not find the picture I'm looking for  :-\

---
Eating:

Only with aniseed instead of sesames.

Sergeant Rock

Watched the Good Eats egg episodes this morning. Had to have an egg and chives omelet for lunch (incorporating some of Alton Brown's suggestions):

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark

Crisps. Cheese and onion flavour.

mn dave

Starbucks Doubleshot Energy+Coffee

:)

Bogey

About to get busy on a big plate of these:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Funny, I just had a couple of those. Although mine were totally not authentic in any way.  For some reason I had a craving for some crappy taco bell style hard shell tacos but didn't want to eat taco bell, so I went to the market and got some hard shells, ground round, iceburg lettuce and some shredded chedder.

I sauteed the beef then simmered it in some tomatoes that I added some reconstituted ancho chiles then blended and an hour and a half later I have taco filling for the week!!  I have to say, they are some pretty good 'bad' tacos.  :P ;) ;D

Allan

Lethevich

http://fxcuisine.com/

This site is making me so hungry. I wonder if there is anything simple enough for me to try... err, probably not.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Homo Aestheticus

Small raw clams with  a little lemon juice...

Yum.

SonicMan46

Quote from: The Ardent Pelleastre on September 21, 2008, 06:05:18 PM

Small raw clams with  a little lemon juice...

Yum.

GREAT! Another fan of raw shellfish - wife loves raw clams, but my preference are oysters on the half shell (and sushi of all types!) -  :D

M forever

M loves oysters, too. And Sushi. These are pretty much the only "luxury" food items I am prepared to pay good money for. I don't get why people pay a lot of money for caviar. I think it tastes good, but not as good as it is expensive.

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on September 22, 2008, 09:04:59 AM
M loves oysters, too. And Sushi. These are pretty much the only "luxury" food items I am prepared to pay good money for. I don't get why people pay a lot of money for caviar. I think it tastes good, but not as good as it is expensive.

Hello M - appears that we could have some wonderful dinners together!  :D

Wife & I love caviar, too - use to buy the Caspian Sea offerings in the old days when one knew what was real - now just a mess and a 'dead' industry - but for our special occasions, we still get American, French, & South American caviars off the web @ decent prices! Dave  :)