What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Never liked caviar  :P. But taramosalata is one of my favourite appetizers!

This evening we had a scrumptious choucroute garnie that I lovingly cooked yesterday. Here's a wiki picture, but it looked even better in our plates  ;D

M forever

M loves taramosalata, too! But only if it doesn't have too much potatoes or bread in it. Some do that to tone down the fishy taste - but that is the whole point! Good taramosalata tastes fishy and has a creamy consistence.

Wanderer

Quote from: M forever on September 22, 2008, 09:05:05 PM
Good taramosalata tastes fishy and has a creamy consistence.

Indeed.

Lilas Pastia

Today I drove South to pick up my sister-in-law at Burlington (Vt) airport. She's an American through and through: born in Great Smoky Mountains land, raised in Chicago, lived in Pittsburgh, Northern Florida and back to NC. As we crossed the canadian border, her nostrils flared (it was suppertime) and she expressed a strong craving for a hot dog  ::). So I stopped by one of the innumerable fast food shacks we have here on main roads and small villages alike and we had hot dogs and fries. She flatly declared nothing beats a canadian hot dog and Quebec french fries. A 'canadian' hd is toasted, not steamed, and Qc ff are always fresh, never frozen, and deep-fried twice for maximum caramelization of the starch - hence their deep gold, brownish colour. She also stated she firmly intends on having a smoked meat at Schwartz  (read the 'reviews' section) in Montreal.

Meanwhile, at my Mom's house where she was staying, a simple but delicious meal of General Tao meatballs and rice was waiting for her. Talk about a culinary adventure . !

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 23, 2008, 08:01:22 PM
A 'canadian' hd is toasted, not steamed, and Qc ff are always fresh, never frozen, and deep-fried twice for maximum caramelization of the starch - hence their deep gold, brownish colour. She also stated she firmly intends on having a smoked meat at Schwartz  (read the 'reviews' section) in Montreal......

AndrĂ© - I've eaten at that deli in Montreal a number of years ago, and we always enjoy a 'smoked meat' sandwich when in Canada - last year on our trip to Quebec, one of our lunches included that choice w/ frittes & a delicious cold draft beer - nice combo!   Dave  :D

M forever

M ordered sushi online today! Isn't that weird?

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on September 24, 2008, 08:50:35 PM
M ordered sushi online today! Isn't that weird?

Well, I assume that the sushi was delivered to your doorstep?  ;) ;D

About the only food we order delivered is from a Chinese 'hole in the wall' - easy, cheap, and usually quite tasty - there are a lot of delivery chains in my town, but the wife does the ordering, so I'm not sure if any are setup for web ordering, but would be convenient!  :)

M forever

That was my point. There are "classic" delivery fods such as pizza or Chinese, but of course we only think that because it is so common. You can order food of any kind for delivery, so why not sushi? That actually is a good delivery choice because you don't have to worry that it might get cold.
:)

You can order basically anything over the phone or the net these days. Yesterday, I even called a mattress. Not to eat it though. And that worked out really well. They gave me a few tips about what kind of mattress might be right for me (and lying doen on them in the store for a few minutes doesn't really tell you much anyway) and the mattress was delivered only a few hours later, for a delivery charge less of what I make per hour, so I actually saved money through that because the time that it would have taken me to go to the store and all that I could spend in the office and work.

Homo Aestheticus

Tonight it was fresh paella with extra clam juice broth...

Deliciousss!

Lilas Pastia

Mussels and crayfish, right? Miamm !!!

Right now it's Tostitos with taramosalata dip.

M forever

Taramosalate on tostitos? That's a crime, like sushi on a hot dog bun.

I haven't eaten paella in many moons. I guess I could order that online, too.

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on September 25, 2008, 06:50:25 PM
Taramosalate on tostitos? That's a crime, like sushi on a hot dog bun.

I haven't eaten paella in many moons. I guess I could order that online, too.
;D

M forever

No, seriously. I just looked that up on "foodler". There is only one place in the area though which offers paella. And it's a pizza and pasta place. Dunno if I can trust the to make good paella. It is not easy to make. I know. I tried once and failed miserably. I would also love some gazpacho. I haven't had that in ages either.

Lilas Pastia

Gaspacho is very easy to do. But paella is something else :-\. Like risotto. I just don't have the patience.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Corey on September 27, 2008, 04:11:40 PM

Hi Corey - love sushi w/ beer, but responding because I've been on a short 2-day trip to the Sandhills area of North Carolina (famous for golf - Southern Pines & Pinehurst) - stayed @ Pine Needles Golf Resort - visited their bar each night after dinner & had some Newcastle on tap - outstanding!  Unfortunately, the 'bar food' menu did not include sushi, but popcorn was available!  ;D

Bogey

Chili on rice with some sharp cheddar and raw onion as a garnish.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

M forever

So I ordered paella online but it totally sucked. It was basically just dry yellow rice with tiny, tiny morsels of what I might have been able to identify as octopus and squid if I had had a manifying glass, but they tasted like little rubber crumbs. I guess I should have known better than ordering that from a pizza and pasta place which has the paella under pasta on the menu...but there is tapas restaurant nearby which looks more quality. Maybe I will try that.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Bogey on September 27, 2008, 04:20:29 PM

Chili on rice with some sharp cheddar and raw onion as a garnish.

And Cactus for desert Bill?  ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

M forever

A form of cactus (nopal) is actually part of Mexican cuisine. It doesn't taste bad, but it's not a delicacy either. OK vegetable.