What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on September 28, 2008, 12:42:39 PM
So I ordered paella online but it totally sucked. It was basically just dry yellow rice with tiny, tiny morsels of what I might have been able to identify as octopus and squid if I had had a manifying glass..........

M - LOL!  ;D  But, really sorry about your experience - love paella myself when well made, but as already indicated, a rarity; years ago when my in-laws lived in Short Hills, NJ, we used to frequent a great Portugese restuarant in one of the adjacent towns, and always ordered the paella w/ great 'home-made' sangria - pleasant experiences!  :)

Tonight, wife & I dined at our local mountain bistro and both had game meats:  Susan chose the bison - NY strip cut w/ a great sauce; their grill is just superb imparting a wonderful smoky flavor to the meat - medium rare a must w/ this creature!  I had a frequent choice - venison tenderloin, also medium rare (to rare) - same smoky flavor - wonderful!  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on September 28, 2008, 02:57:31 PM
You killed Bambi's daddy!

Nah - just 'road kill' -  ;) ;D  North Carolina is a BIG state for deer-car accidents; in the mountains, I've even had a few black bears run across the road - surprised!  :o   

M forever

At least that's what they say. "Make it look like an accident."

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: imperfection on September 28, 2008, 06:03:41 PM

:-* :-* Please describe in scrumptious detail the charcuterie varieties you tempt us with ! Santa Pizza ! That's a family plate, isn't it?

toledobass

I've given up on trying to find a good bowl of pho in Ann Arbor.  There are some passable bowls that will do in a pinch but none that have really satisfied my craving.  I decided to give it a try myself and glad I did.  I made pho ga (chicken pho) last night and was impressed with how it turned out.  Next week I'll try and tackle pho bo.

Allan

M forever

I rectified my bad paella experience the other night by getting some takeout from a nice tapas restaurant, paella (which was really good with nice pieces of vegetables and seafood and mussles on top), and some tapas - grilled sausage bites, vegetables, a cup of chiken stew, and some other stuff. Very tasty and - it all smelled awesome of the ingredients and mediterranean spices.

SonicMan46

Just returned from a 4-day trip to Orlando, FL - medical meeting held @ a wonderful property called the Gaylord Palms Resort (need to do a separate listing in the 'Vacation Thread') - we had some wonderful food, but just to choose a couple of favorite meals:

Bosphorous Restaurant - on Sunday (day off), drove a little north above Orlando to Winter Park which has a number on inter-connected lakes w/ canals - first took a boat ride (second time) - beautiful lakes w/ expensive houses; parked in the downtown area and searched for a place to eat lunch - picked the linked restaurant - Turkish food - boy we had a great time - had a couple of glasses of white Turkish wine (can't remember the grape, but similar to Greek white wine); we both had a 'luncheon special' - a lamb and chicken wrap w/ a salad - absolutely light, refreshing, and wonderfully flavored - reminded me of Greek offerings - I would love to have gone back for a dinner!

Fulton's Crab House - located in a riverboat on Lake Buena Vista in Downtown Disney - this place always receives very 'mixed' reviews (see link) - I've eaten there multiple times and indeed have mixed reviews, but this latest experience was outstanding (too expensive, though!  So, beware if you go) - we shared a dozen raw oysters (2 different types)  - these were plump & outstanding; both had the baked Maine lobster stuffed w/ shrimp/scallops, which was superb!  Shared a dessert of a dry cherry tart w/ a scoop of vanilla ice cream + a couple of delicious capuccionos - this was an absolutely delicious meal - read the reviews before you go & look @ the prices!

Sora Sushi Bar - out last dinner for the trip, located at the Gaylord Palms, and one of the 4 restaurants in this wonderful property, all under a huge glass roof as if you're 'out in the wild', i.e. Disney World for adults (pic of the place below)! Quite innovative and beautiful preparation w/ specials - won't go into detail but had another great eating experience - ended the night @ the bar of their 'fancy' restaurant, and had a cheese course w/ some red wine -  ;D

M forever

Quote from: SonicMan on October 08, 2008, 04:50:22 PM
Just returned from a 4-day trip to Orlando, FL

Sorry to hear that. Orlando is one of the worst airports I have ever flown into. Maybe the worst. Or maybe Detroit is. No, actually I think Orlando is the worst.

Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on October 08, 2008, 04:50:22 PM
Bosphorous

It should have been Bosporus, what a hideous mistransliteration to behold. At least you had a good time.

Kullervo

Quote from: Wanderer on October 08, 2008, 11:46:20 PM
It should have been Bosporus, what a hideous mistransliteration to behold. At least you had a good time.

I've seen it spelled "Bosphorus" most of the time.

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on October 08, 2008, 10:10:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. Orlando is one of the worst airports I have ever flown into. Maybe the worst. Or maybe Detroit is. No, actually I think Orlando is the worst.

M - agree!  I like the Tampa airport much better - Orlando also has a 'hub' system w/ trams - but there is so much construction going on that the experience is pretty dismal; plus, the number of shops & eateries is really sub-standard for an airport that caters to countries/planes from all over the place - but, happily, we arrived & left the airport ON TIME!   ;D

orbital

I am not sure about its etymology, but I've heard theories as to Bosphorus being a version of "Phosphorus" (in the sense of illuminating), and another theory that has to do with "Sepharad". In any case, as Corey says, Bosphorus is the commonly used version. In Istanbul today, it is simply referred to as "The Strait"   :P

What would Bosporus mean?

SonicMan46

Hi Tasos:D  Well, not sure 'why' the owners picked Bosphorous as the name of the restaurant, but the pronunciation has a softer 'f' sound and seems more melodious to say - guess there is some disagreement w/ statements in subsequent posts - but if anyone is in the Winter Park, FL area & enjoys 'near Eastern' food, this is an excellent choice for lunch and dinner - would love to go back!  Dave

M forever

Well, look up wikipedia about "Bosporus". There is some interesting information there about the origin and various forms of the name - among which Bosphorus is one which has been used long before that restaurant, so they didn't come up with that. I didn't know that.

Jay F

Back to "What are you eating?", I made basil mayo today and had a turkey and swiss cheese and tomato sandwich on toast made from olive oil bread.

toledobass

The local grocers here have Nueske's Bacon. It's a bacon I've read about for years but never really got around to ordering it online.  It's nice to find it here and I've been having a great time trying it in lots of different preperations.  A few nights ago I tried out some carbonara with it, but it has such a strong smokey quality to it that I didn't think it worked all that well.  So tonight I have a big pot of collards simmering awaw with a good bit of the bacon in there.  The house smells so awesome right now. I can already tell that this will be a home run. I wish you all were able to be here in person for it. 

Allan

Lilas Pastia

Dave, I trust you have visited the Morse Museum? One of the most distinctive and weel appointed ones I've seen. I've seen it three times and would gladly go back.