What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papageno

Organic spaghetti with organic tomato puree, organic goat's milk yogurt, tahini, extra virgin Greek olive oil and a dash of oregano as a sauce.
My flat-mate says it's disgusting...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Papageno on November 13, 2008, 12:39:49 PM
Organic spaghetti with organic tomato puree, organic goat's milk yogurt, tahini, extra virgin Greek olive oil and a dash of oregano as a sauce.
My flat-mate says it's disgusting...

OK - please explain 'organic'?  I'm assuming that the term mainly implies no preservatives, fertilizers, etc. but is there 'something' else special about this appelation? Thanks -  :D

SonicMan46

Tonight, the LOML (Susan) placed a plate before me that I just had to take a photo!  ;D

Main course Shrimp Cakes purchased from our local seafood products store - locally made and just wonderful (like them more than crab cakes - plenty of shrimp 'inside' & wonderful oriental flavors) - Sabo Buckwheat noodles, boiled then added soy sauce & scallions + steamed 'snap peas' - wine was a new discovery (see the wine thread) from Argentina 'Mendoza Valley' - Torrontes grape - wonderful!  :)

toledobass

The Mrs. has been in a cooking mood lately so we've been cooking a little together this past week.  Today we woke up and had an awesome breakfast.  Waffles, eggs, sausage and coffee.  Perfect.

She made our dinner tonight, a curry with cauliflower, green beans, carrots and tofu.  I made the rice.

Allan

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: Papageno on November 13, 2008, 12:39:49 PM
extra virgin Greek olive oil

What brand is your Greek oil? I used to get Tassos, but my store doesn't carry it any more, I now have Martinis.

I totally got off any Italian olive oil after reading in the New Yorker and exposé of the Italian oil industry. Dominated by a Mafia style organisation, who brings in tankers full of low grade oils from Spain, mostly peanut oil, and mixes it with the Italian oil. There is an official organisation in Italy supposedly checking the oils and if prooven to be pure, apply a certificate, but I have not seen any 'certificate' on any Italian oils sold in our stores here.

Greek oil is supposed to be pure.  :)

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: toledobass on November 13, 2008, 05:17:04 PM
 I made the rice.

Allan

And how do you cook the rice?  ???

I learned from Nigel - remember him? - how to fix rice the way Iranians do theirs; it takes about half a day, but is different and delicious. The main attraction is the bottom layer of the rice ending up as golden, crispy grains. A nice crunchy addition to a 'soft' meal, but I don't think I'll bother to fix it too often.  ;D

Papageno

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 05:36:42 PM
What brand is your Greek oil? I used to get Tassos, but my store doesn't carry it any more, I now have Martinis.

I totally got off any Italian olive oil after reading in the New Yorker and exposé of the Italian oil industry. Dominated by a Mafia style organisation, who brings in tankers full of low grade oils from Spain, mostly peanut oil, and mixes it with the Italian oil. There is an official organisation in Italy supposedly checking the oils and if prooven to be pure, apply a certificate, but I have not seen any 'certificate' on any Italian oils sold in our stores here.

Greek oil is supposed to be pure.  :)

Now I get Kolymvari.

toledobass

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 05:47:06 PM
And how do you cook the rice?  ???

I learned from Nigel - remember him? - how to fix rice the way Iranians do theirs; it takes about half a day, but is different and delicious. The main attraction is the bottom layer of the rice ending up as golden, crispy grains. A nice crunchy addition to a 'soft' meal, but I don't think I'll bother to fix it too often.  ;D

That sounds like a delicious way to enjoy rice.  I love that part in the bottom of the pot that sticks and gets that golden crust on it.  When I order be bim bop I let the rice sit in the hot stone bowl for a few minutes to get that crust.  I just made a plain white rice this evening.  I just use a ratio of 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water throw in a good pinch of salt, bring it up to a boil on med hi and let it sit at the boil for a minute or two then place on low, cover and don't touch for 20 minutes.  Then I usually take it off the oven fluff it up and serve.  If I want the crunch browned bits I'll leave it on the stove a bit longer before fluffing it up. 

I find rice to be extremely difficult to make consistently. 

Allan
Allan

Brünnhilde forever

Allan, you asked me about my use of nutmeg, finally getting around to answer, sorry.  :-*

Mama was adamant about spinach not being acceptable unless it has a generous dash of nutmeg added. I followed her rule, but never did like the chances of ending up with bloody fingertips using Mama's old style nutmeg grinder. Found a nice one surfing, and it does safe my fingertips, but when I had to refill it was very difficult to put the top back on to the bottom, kind of a twisting move with a lot of pressure.

Anybody here have a grinder suitable for the female cook, who has to run to the neighbour to open the pickle or jam jars??  :-[

Got off the topic, Allan! I use it for a lot of vegetables, mainly the cabbage variety, and since you mentioned dessert I tried it tonight for cubed papayas with vanilla icecream and a rather generous amount of nutmeg. Tasted great! I bet it's good with stewed pears!  :)

Brünnhilde forever

You gentlemen are confusing me! Isn't 'Sonic Man' also 'Allan'?

Ach, those friggin' senior moments! Maybe I should stop posting. You know who I mean when I reply to a post, if not, take your pick - and remain my friend!  :-*

Brünnhilde forever

See what I mean? I forgot to add the photo of my nutmeg grinder:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 06:20:33 PM

Maybe I should stop posting. You know who I mean when I reply to a post, if not, take your pick - and remain my friend!  :-*

Lis - Allan & I are not the same!  ;) ;D  But, I was born in Toledo & his moniker includes in part that Ohio city; plus, we do seem to share a lot of culinary interests - however, he is up in Ohio & I'm in North Carolina - maybe I should become NorthCarolinaDave:)

But, please don't leave us - all love you here & always enjoy your posts & flower pics!   Dave  :-*

toledobass

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 13, 2008, 06:20:33 PM

Ach, those friggin' senior moments! Maybe I should stop posting. You know who I mean when I reply to a post, if not, take your pick - and remain my friend!  :-*

It's all good Lis ;D

ezodisy

I ate Korean last night, that is some of the best Asian food I've tried, very spicy and rich, delicious.

Brünnhilde forever

My Korean friend introduced me to Kimchee, she made it herself, and I love it!  8)

Dundonnell

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: ezodisy on November 13, 2008, 11:37:24 PM
I ate Korean last night, that is some of the best Asian food I've tried, very spicy and rich, delicious.

Love Korean too but don't know any decent Korean restaurants here in Vienna. You are in London, right? There's a really good one I used to go to when I lived in London, in a little street right behind the Center Point building, near Tottenham Court Road tube -- can't remember the name.

mozartsneighbor

I am eating Austrian-style Pumpkin Soup I made yesterday. It is served with drops of pumpkin seed oil from Steiermark on top. Delicious.

ezodisy

Quote from: mozartsneighbor on November 14, 2008, 08:34:58 AM
Love Korean too but don't know any decent Korean restaurants here in Vienna. You are in London, right? There's a really good one I used to go to when I lived in London, in a little street right behind the Center Point building, near Tottenham Court Road tube -- can't remember the name.

I don't know the name either but I've eaten in a couple Korean restaurants there, you got the location exactly right. However there is a better one in Soho, just one street to the west of Frith St (Bar Italia), off Old Compton St. Great area.