What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: toledobass on December 21, 2008, 05:18:52 PM
I remember seeing that movie too, Sidoze.  Wasn't that Suzuki's Branded to Kill? 

Yes, I remember that movie with the rice-sniffing Yakuza killer -- it is indeed Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill.

Brünnhilde forever

Enough is enough! Poured out the last of my shredded wheat this morning for breakfast and took a good look at it. YUK! It reminded me of the chopped straw we kids used to put in the the cradle of the Jesus Child at our convent's crèche! - Must be the season to recall this childhood memory! -

Enough of this healthy eating, that stuff in my bowl does not look appetising at all. Give me back my German/Austrian variant of hard rolls, butter, a variety of sliced luncheon meats and cheeses, plus a 4 minute egg. I'll even settle for the American bacon, eggs and hashbrowns!

I could get in my car and get a decent breakfast at the local Country Inn, but weather conditions put a stop to that dream. - Hey, I think I have some bacon in the freezer! -

ezodisy

Quote from: toledobass on December 21, 2008, 05:18:52 PM
Wasn't that Suzuki's Branded to Kill? 

Quote from: mozartsneighbor on December 22, 2008, 08:46:57 AM
Yes, I remember that movie with the rice-sniffing Yakuza killer -- it is indeed Seijun Suzuki's Branded to Kill.

nice, that's the one. That was a lot of fun and I'd definitely watch it again. Did you guys like it?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 22, 2008, 09:48:13 AM

Sharing with all of you this morning's view from my sundeck:

Lis - also enjoying your pictures - BTW, I had some great Washington State oysters to other night - probably not the greatest choice for a chilly wintry day!  ;) :D  Dave

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: SonicMan on December 22, 2008, 11:14:01 AM
Lis - also enjoying your pictures - BTW, I had some great Washington State oysters to other night - probably not the greatest choice for a chilly wintry day!  ;) :D  Dave

Dave: Did you get the special variety of Olympic Oyster, those tiny morsels? Whenever we came in the vicinity of Olympia we went to the Oyster House, lovely, rustic, restaurant built right over the water of Puget Sound, part of the Atlantic, just a bit inland and kind of hidden, reminiscent of Norway's shores.  ;)

karlhenning

As long as Olympic oysters are not prairie oysters . . . .

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 22, 2008, 06:15:48 AM
And what place was that, Allan? Should I check it out when next I'm in Ohio (which will be in May/June...another wedding to attend)?

Sarge

Sarge, it's a place in Ann Arbor where I'm located now.  My favorite fried chicken place is in Cleveland though, Hot Sauce Williams on Carnegie @ e 55th. (I know, I know. It really isn't that bad of an area though).  It was on my way home from gigs and I would always stop there late night on the last night of a series for a piece or 2 with some collards and mac and cheese.  The chicken is awesome, the hush puppies rock (if they have them).  Actually I think all of the sides are great.  Just stay away from the ribs...pretty mediocre.

7815 Carnegie Ave

Bourdain visits Hot Sauce Williams

Allan

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: karlhenning on December 22, 2008, 11:26:40 AM
As long as Olympic oysters are not prairie oysters . . . .

No, Honey, those you get on my side of the Cascade Mountains, Olympia is on The Coast, as we prairie citizens call the other part of the State of Washington.  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on December 22, 2008, 11:29:32 AM
Sarge, it's a place in Ann Arbor where I'm located now.  My favorite fried chicken place is in Cleveland though, Hot Sauce Williams on Carnegie @ e 55th
Allan

I'll have to go alone...none of my friends or family will drive through, let alone stop in that part of town. Wimps  ;D

You're in Ann Arbor now??? Are you still playing for the Akron Symphony?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 22, 2008, 01:06:23 PM

Allan - curious, too about the above?  I went to school in Ann Arbor (1964-71) - undergrad & medical schools - met Susan there, also (married in '70) - loved the place, but have not been back since our departure to North Carolina in '71 - just curious, and good luck!  Davd  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 22, 2008, 11:25:26 AM
Dave: Did you get the special variety of Olympic Oyster, those tiny morsels? Whenever we came in the vicinity of Olympia we went to the Oyster House, lovely, rustic, restaurant built right over the water of Puget Sound, part of the Atlantic, just a bit inland and kind of hidden, reminiscent of Norway's shores.  ;)

Hi Lis - you know, I was goin' to copy down the names just to post in the 'eating thread', but did not -  ::)

I know that we had the Kumamoto Oysters (a fav & a Japanese import) & the Penn Cove Oysters, but can't recall the others - BUT, each type was superb & different in taste; Susan & I just love the West Coast oysters, just a lot of variety & flavors that are distinctly different - yum yum!  :P

Hello Karl - I've never tasted Prairie Oysters (of course, I'm assuming that you mean 'Rocky Mountain Oysters, or bull's testicles?) - years ago on a trip to Colorado, we were at a 'western-style' Denver restaurant (believe a famous one but cannot remember the name?), and this was an appetizer selection which I wanted to try - Susan was reluctant; now, liking some of these 'solid' organs, such as sweetbreads, I told her that the taste & texture would likely be similar but a little firmer (but I don't know! Just an educational guess) - maybe some of our 'Prairie Oyster' experts from the wild west can chime in -  ;) ;D

Brünnhilde forever

Dave: those are the ones, look at the small size, delicious morsels when breaded and fast pan fried in butter:

http://www.penncoveshellfish.com/OlympicMiyagi.htm

Lis

mozartsneighbor

Quote from: ezodisy on December 22, 2008, 09:58:35 AM
nice, that's the one. That was a lot of fun and I'd definitely watch it again. Did you guys like it?

I watched it quite a few years ago, so my memory of it isn't very fresh, but the general impression was positive. Another Seijun Suzuki film I watched more recently and enjoyed was Tokyo Drifter.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 22, 2008, 08:00:13 PM
Dave: those are the ones, look at the small size, delicious morsels when breaded and fast pan fried in butter:

Lis - well, next time I'll write down the names of those West Coast oysters - too many choices!  :D

BTW, we're getting a 'new' seafood restaurant in town claiming to 'fly in' fresh stuff daily!  Not sure 'how good' it will be or whether oysters will be part of their aerial shipments, but will certainly give the place a try! Dave  :)

karlhenning

Dave! Your in-box is full, and there is a message I would send thee!

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2008, 06:13:02 AM
Dave! Your in-box is full, and there is a message I would send thee!

Sorry, Karl - just 'cleaned out' some older messages from last year, so should be some room now - thanks!  Dave  :)

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 22, 2008, 01:06:23 PM
I'll have to go alone...none of my friends or family will drive through, let alone stop in that part of town. Wimps  ;D

Sarge

Total wimps!!!! yeah it's not the 'burbs but I don't think it's all that bad.  Sure you've gotta be aware of your surroundings, but it's the same for any downtown, I think.  Plus if you actually did get shot, it'd be one hell of a story to tell:

How'd you get shot?

Well I was 'bout to get my fried chicken fix on, when all of a sudden....

;D

Re: Ann Arbor

My schedule in Toledo had become such, especially in the spring, where I spent more nights in Toledo than at home in Cleveland.  The move to Ann Arbor was to be closer to Toledo without actually living in Toledo.  If it didn't work out it would be easy enought to move back to CLE after the season was up.  

I am no longer playing in Akron,  I continue to play in CityMusic Cleveland and of course Toledo, and I've accepted a position with the Lansing Symphony here in Michigan.

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: ezodisy on December 22, 2008, 09:58:35 AM

I did like it, but I think I like Pistol Opera more.  Pistol Opera was the first Suzuki film I'd ever seen and it made me wonder what the hell was going on....in a good way.  I was either laughing or scratching my head and it was a great time.

Allan

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on December 22, 2008, 02:25:06 PM
Hi Lis - you know, I was goin' to copy down the names just to post in the 'eating thread', but did not -  ::)

I know that we had the Kumamoto Oysters (a fav & a Japanese import) & the Penn Cove Oysters, but can't recall the others - BUT, each type was superb & different in taste; Susan & I just love the West Coast oysters, just a lot of variety & flavors that are distinctly different - yum yum!  :P

Hello Karl - I've never tasted Prairie Oysters (of course, I'm assuming that you mean 'Rocky Mountain Oysters, or bull's testicles?) - years ago on a trip to Colorado, we were at a 'western-style' Denver restaurant (believe a famous one but cannot remember the name?), and this was an appetizer selection which I wanted to try - Susan was reluctant; now, liking some of these 'solid' organs, such as sweetbreads, I told her that the taste & texture would likely be similar but a little firmer (but I don't know! Just an educational guess) - maybe some of our 'Prairie Oyster' experts from the wild west can chime in -  ;) ;D

Was the restaurant possibly The Fort, Dave?

http://www.thefort.com/

Appetizers

Roast Bison Marrow Bones
A crown of bones simply roasted and served with a port-bison reduction,
Hawaiian red salt and sourdough crostini's(allow extra time)
$18

BBQ'D Duck Quesadilla
Smoked duck in a coffee barbeque sauce with aged Mexican cheeses in a flour tortilla.
Served with a mango-chipotle salsa.
$8

Peanut Butter Stuffed Jalapeños Escabeche
House made pickled jalapeños with a mango whipped peanut butter.
$6

Bison Eggs
Pickled quail eggs wrapped in house made buffalo sausage. Served with a
raspberry-jalapeno jam. Our version of a "Scottish egg."
$10

Broiled Asadero Cheese
White cow's milk cheese broiled and served with Fort toast.
$8

Lamb Riblets
Crispy lamb riblets tossed in a spicy citrus bbq sauce
$13

Hot Sausage Bean Dip
Hot sausage sauteed with Mexican beer, refried beans and cheddar cheese.
Served with corn tortilla chips
$7

Mexican Style Salsa Cruda
A simple fresh salsa served with corn tortilla chips.
$6

Acapulco Shrimp "Ceviche"
Acapulco shrimp "Ceviche" style with fresh avocado,
a spicy-sweet tomato broth and salsa fresca. $14
Try with a shot of Absolut Peppar...Delish! add $2

Historians' Platter
Boudies, Rocky Mountain oysters, guacamole, bison tongue and jalapeños for 4
$28

Sam's Famous Guacamole & Corn Chips
Denver's Best Guacamole with big chunks of avocado, tomato, onion and fresh squeezed lime,
served with corn tortilla chips.
$7

Bison "Boudies" Sausage
Sam's mountain man recipe for homemade buffalo sausage.
$8

Rocky Mountain Oysters
Small bites battered and fried to a golden brown and served with a tangy "cocktail" sauce.
$8

Braised Bison Tongue - A Historian's Treat
The 19th century's finest gourmet meat served with Fort toast and caper aioli.
$9
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on December 23, 2008, 01:14:54 PM
Was the restaurant possibly The Fort, Dave?

http://www.thefort.com/

Appetizers

Roast Bison Marrow Bones
A crown of bones simply roasted and served with a port-bison reduction,
Hawaiian red salt and sourdough crostini's(allow extra time)
$18

BBQ'D Duck Quesadilla
Smoked duck in a coffee barbeque sauce with aged Mexican cheeses in a flour tortilla.
Served with a mango-chipotle salsa.
$8

Peanut Butter Stuffed Jalapeños Escabeche
House made pickled jalapeños with a mango whipped peanut butter.
$6

Bison Eggs
Pickled quail eggs wrapped in house made buffalo sausage. Served with a
raspberry-jalapeno jam. Our version of a "Scottish egg."
$10

Broiled Asadero Cheese
White cow's milk cheese broiled and served with Fort toast.
$8

Lamb Riblets
Crispy lamb riblets tossed in a spicy citrus bbq sauce
$13

Hot Sausage Bean Dip
Hot sausage sauteed with Mexican beer, refried beans and cheddar cheese.
Served with corn tortilla chips
$7

Mexican Style Salsa Cruda
A simple fresh salsa served with corn tortilla chips.
$6

Acapulco Shrimp "Ceviche"
Acapulco shrimp "Ceviche" style with fresh avocado,
a spicy-sweet tomato broth and salsa fresca. $14
Try with a shot of Absolut Peppar...Delish! add $2

Historians' Platter
Boudies, Rocky Mountain oysters, guacamole, bison tongue and jalapeños for 4
$28

Sam's Famous Guacamole & Corn Chips
Denver's Best Guacamole with big chunks of avocado, tomato, onion and fresh squeezed lime,
served with corn tortilla chips.
$7

Bison "Boudies" Sausage
Sam's mountain man recipe for homemade buffalo sausage.
$8

Rocky Mountain Oysters
Small bites battered and fried to a golden brown and served with a tangy "cocktail" sauce.
$8

Braised Bison Tongue - A Historian's Treat
The 19th century's finest gourmet meat served with Fort toast and caper aioli.
$9

Now that's a menu!