What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

Sakradinoamal!  >:(

I got involved in Barenboim doing Beethoven's 7th and I forgot the DiGiorno! - You think it's still edible?

Tell you about it later!

Lis

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 25, 2008, 11:08:06 AM
Sakradinoamal!  >:(

I got involved in Barenboim doing Beethoven's 7th and I forgot the DiGiorno! - You think it's still edible?

Tell you about it later!

Lis

;D  ;D

Boy, that sucks bad, Lis! I had the traditional frozen pizza for Christmas Eve dinner last night. Not Di Giorno though, Red Baron which has a wonderful thin, crunchy crust on it. Get the sausage kind and top with some green olives and some extra cheese: Yum! :)

Today it is "get your own" buffet with cold cuts, nice yeasty rolls and carrots and celery on the side. Nice day to relax! :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Acht Notturni für den König von Neapel - Mozzafiato / L'Archibudelli - Hob 02 25 Notturno #1 in C for Wind & Strings 1st mvmt - Marcia
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brünnhilde forever

Conclusion to the story of Lis's holiday dinner!

The crust was a bit on the done side; sauce and pepperoni were edible, kinda. Still waiting in the background a small bowl of sliced banana with Cascade Mountain Blackberry icecream - plus a sip of the Hoodsport Cabernet Merlot. Not a complete distaster!

There is New Year's to look forward to!

toledobass

;D

I'm making some sausage with white beans while the Mrs. is preparing butternut squash couscous for our meal.  Muching on cheese and crackers in the mean time.

Allan

Senta

Happy Christmas to all!!  :D

We usually put on a whole traditional sit down Christmas dinner, but this year we've scaled back since some of our people will already have been to a couple of houses already for vittles by the time they get here!

Most of our stuff came from the local Sam's Club store (party central!), and we made up some dips, brownies, sweets and such. Will post pics later! For afterward we have a nice Gewurtztraminer and White Zin chilling plus a round of brie, and Maytag blue w/ smoked salmon - yum!  ;D

Brünnhilde forever

Renfield: I hope you have better luck with your pizza!  8)

Novi: How did your sandwich turn out? Peanut butter and jelly?  8)

Lis

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 25, 2008, 11:48:27 AM
Conclusion to the story of Lis's holiday dinner!

The crust was a bit on the done side; sauce and pepperoni were edible, kinda. Still waiting in the background a small bowl of sliced banana with Cascade Mountain Blackberry icecream - plus a sip of the Hoodsport Cabernet Merlot. Not a complete distaster!

There is New Year's to look forward to!

Lis - glad that your pizza was 'edible' - and I bet the wine was a big help 'softening up' the crust!   ;) :D

Brian - we enjoy eating alligator (of course, tastes like chewy chicken!); once returning from a trip to New Orleans, we bought a small alligator tail in the airport (ready to carry on the plane) - Susan made a couple of dishes but one of my favs was Alligator Etouffee - she did a great job, even w/ the roux - have not had in a while, though!

Tonight, a 'free range' chicken is roasting in the oven - likely will just have w/ some veggies; of course, some white wine - just popped open a bottle of Sanford Chardonnay from Santa Barbara County!

Novi

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 25, 2008, 01:33:11 PM
Novi: How did your sandwich turn out? Peanut butter and jelly?  8)

Lis

Roast vegetables, rocket, and goat's cheese :D.

Glad to hear that your pizza was salvageable :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Renfield

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 25, 2008, 01:33:11 PM
Renfield: I hope you have better luck with your pizza!  8)

I did indeed have unusual luck with my pizza, in that I was almost certain I'd left it for a little too long myself, but it turned out ideal; and likely better than it would have if I'd taken it out when I intended to.

It seems the topping - onion, green pepper and something spicy and coming from an animal (in the unfortunate absence of a pepperoni equivalent, which would've been ideal) - reacted well to the extra exposure...

The result was a characterfully tangy, but delicate and interesting pizza. Certainly more than I'd bargained for! 8)

Edit: And I'm also glad to hear your pizza was at least a success, if not entirely a triumph. (Not that I had any doubts.)

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on December 25, 2008, 02:05:26 PM
Tonight, a 'free range' chicken is roasting in the oven - likely will just have w/ some veggies; of course, some white wine - just popped open a bottle of Sanford Chardonnay from Santa Barbara County!

Well, thought that a post-prandial post was in order - Susan wanted an 'old timey' dinner, like when our son was still around - the chicken was wonderful ('organic' - whatever that means? - and 'free range') and more flavorful that the usual bird - think that we'll be just getting this kind in the future!

Veggie was peas (which I love!), but the 'special' treat (a rarity for us now) was 'mash potatoes' - red skins, mashed coarsely w/ garlic added - boy, I REALLY love these but at our age, we've tried to avoid carbs @ dinner time, so now a rarity - delicious!   :D

Bogey

Tonight:

Prime Rib
Baked Scallops
Yorkshire Pudding
Brussels Sprouts cooked in olive oil with garlic
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Trifle

Booyah!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2008, 05:45:22 PM
Tonight:

Prime Rib + Baked Scallops + Yorkshire Pudding + Brussels Sprouts cooked in olive oil with garlic + Garlic Mashed Potatoes + Trifle

Bill - boy, that sounds great and a real 'pig-out'!   :D  But, you're forgiven @ this time of the year!  :)   Dave

Brünnhilde forever

'Free Range' chicken are the only kind to buy! Those chicks are out on pasture, scratch for crunchy bugs and cackle happily, even welcome the advances of an admirer. We lived just a few miles from one of those ranches - Wilcox Family Farms, Roy, WA. - known their devotion to producing the best and healthiest, and respect their integrity. Wilcox also has the best organic eggs.

Have you tried Yukon Gold potatoes for mashing? Lovely light 'golden' colour and wonderful taste.

P.S. to complete my royal holiday feasting I had a yummy peanutbutter sandwich for supper. - Still eating the German way: Dinner at noon, light supper in the evening, avoids going to bed with a full tummy! -  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 25, 2008, 05:57:05 PM
'Free Range' chicken are the only kind to buy! ......

Have you tried Yukon Gold potatoes for mashing? Lovely light 'golden' colour and wonderful taste.

.....Still eating the German way: Dinner at noon, light supper in the evening, avoids going to bed with a full tummy! -  8)

Lis - we've had these types of chicken before, but I must say tonight that the taste & flavor were just wonderful - not sure 'what' brand we had but will likely be our choice in the future!

Tonight, Susan used red skin potatoes mashed lightly, so still some chunks inside (love that texture), part of skins left on, plus plenty of garlic - quite tasty; have also had the Yukon Gold potatoes which are indeed a treat!

Avoiding a 'full tummy' at bed time is probably a good habit that all of us should consider esp. in our older years - as a GI radiologist, I can fully appreciate your sage advice!

Dave

Sergeant Rock

Our Christmas meals were entirely traditional again this year.

Christmas Eve:

Turkey, stuffing made with the innards and ground pork, potato salad, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce. Wine was a German pinot noir (Spätburgunder)

Christmas Day:

Roast venison, dumplings, red cabbage, green salad. Wine was a Rioja.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Serenity Now!

Lilas Pastia

Today I spent the afternoon/evening with my best friend, and between a Mizoguchi and a Bergman we tasted a couple of cheeses, wild boar terrine, caribou and apricot paté, doused with a really nice Jurançon sweet wine (crisp and fruity but with plenty of depth). The main course was cuttlefish ink-flavoured linguine in a wild mushroom and scallops sauce, boldly seasoned with fleur de sel aux piments d'Espelette. The wine was a very elegant but firm and full-bodied Volnay Premier Cru Les Santenots - one of Burgundy's classiest climates (often referred to as the most 'feminine' of great burgundys - how do they come about such descriptions?). Much to our surprise this particular dish and wine combination proved just right, each abetting the other as equals. A bolder red would have made mincemeat of the scallops and wild mushrooms, whereas the heady Espelette chilies would have made any white taste bitter. As it turned out, our culinary instincts were proven right! We finished with an opera cake, roquefort and port wine - at that stage I didn't check the name or vintage of the bottle  ;)

toledobass

Sounds like a great evening Lilas.

Breakfast this morning, 2 soft boiled with toast:

SonicMan46

André - thanks for the description of that meal & wine (or was it 'meals'!  ;)) - I think that the only animal in the listing that I've not eaten yet is caribou, but not certain; Susan & I have made many trips to Canada, so might have had the pleasure (maybe at the Quebec restaurant we ate at a year ago - had a trio of game meats?).

Last night, a 'new' experience for the both of us - Halibut Cheeks - now I love halibut, but have never sampled the cheek muscles (below some pics of their 'expected' location) - our son sent us a holiday gift certificate from Seabear, a company that we have used for years (overpriced but the products are superbly packed & delicious) - well, the order included halibut, smoked scallops, trio of smoked salmons, and HALIBUT CHEEKS!

Susan just pan fried the 'cheeks' w/ a little butter and light seasoning - served w/ a veggie; the meat is really white, firm, and flaky - texture similar to a crab or scallop and just great flavor - we have another package and will try a different recipe next time, but I believe that we've added a new seafood option to our dining!  :D

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: toledobass on December 27, 2008, 05:44:06 AM

Breakfast this morning, 2 soft boiled with toast:

Now why didn't I think of that, Allan, instead of yet another bowl of Irish Oatmeal with yoghurt?  :-\

A guess: You decapitate the egg and dip the toast sticks retrieving them covered with nice soft yolk?  ;)