What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

But Luv, that would give away my age! How about the pile of ribbons and emblems, with the year blocked out?  :-X

Brünnhilde forever

After this showoff post, I'll share a very humiliating event with you. - Sorry, has nothing to do with eating! -

It was one of those big swim events where exciting from the center lane after the race to the left or right pool ladder was forbidden. I had given my all and simply didn't have anything left to haul myself up onto the deck. The very concerned judge inquired about my well being, while the coach behind him, muttered a few uncomplimentary remarks about what to do with me.

Some team member found this fitting newspaper clipping!

How did I get out of the pool? Judge and coach got a hold of each of my arms and landed me on the deck like a dead hooked fish. Roaring applause from the stands was not appreciated!  >:(

Dundonnell

I have just finished eating burnt food...again  :(

Cooking whilst reading and posting on this forum is not to be recommended ;D

It may be a testimony to the number of interesting and entertaining posts but forgetting that food is cooking(or rather, burning) in the kitchen is utter folly :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on December 30, 2008, 03:59:55 PM
After this showoff post, I'll share a very humiliating event with you. - Sorry, has nothing to do with eating! -.............................

Lis - really appreciate the story - wonderful - hope that you've recover from that event by now?  ;) ;D

I use to be quite 'athletic' in my high school years but 'academics' seem to have won over - I guess that my only accomplisment w/ recognition (no medals or ribbons) was being the 'highest scorer' in my high school for two years on the yearly 'physical test' - kind of like a decathalon - not the same events but similar - now I'm just an aging senior who can hardly do any of those tasks of the past!   :D

Lilas Pastia

Lis, I'm afraid you're not using the best quality maple syrup for your buckwheat pancakes.  I was alerted to that by the "dark Amber" mention on that bottle. That's NOT the colour the finest syrup should have. In short, the lighter the better. Check the Wikipedia article, particularly the "Grades" section.

A lady like you should not settle for anything but the "fancy grade"  stuff  :-*

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 30, 2008, 04:07:28 PM

Cooking whilst reading and posting on this forum is not to be recommended ;D

Nice to share the boat with you! But I am sorry your meal was not the success you expected and worked for. Better luck tomorrow!  :-*

Lis

SonicMan46

Well, this is New Year's Eve and Susan & I usually do a 'snack' dinner (similar to the one we had on Christmas Eve) - below is a picture of our evening's delights:  several cheeses (including a mixed cheddar/blue cheese) w/ various crackers; smoked salmons (two different types) w/ light cream cheese on some pumpernickel rye; and two American caviars (the Paddlefish is our favorite; both types discussed in my previous post - we love Caspian Sea caviar the best but just too expensive and unreliable); finally, a bottle of California 'sparkling wine' - Mumm Napa - Brut Prestige (excellent value, less than $20) - delicious and a treat we should explore more often!  :D

jchen

Chinese food, kind of hard to say what it is in English. :) I eat Chinese food almost everyday. It's almost because some days we eat pizza, or go out.  ;D :) 0:) $:) :D

Renfield

Quote from: SonicMan on December 31, 2008, 05:31:01 PM
Well, this is New Year's Eve and Susan & I usually do a 'snack' dinner (similar to the one we had on Christmas Eve) - below is a picture of our evening's delights:  several cheeses (including a mixed cheddar/blue cheese) w/ various crackers; smoked salmons (two different types) w/ light cream cheese on some pumpernickel rye; and two American caviars (the Paddlefish is our favorite; both types discussed in my previous post - we love Caspian Sea caviar the best but just too expensive and unreliable); finally, a bottle of California 'sparkling wine' - Mumm Napa - Brut Prestige (excellent value, less than $20) - delicious and a treat we should explore more often!  :D

This looks delightful.

Quote from: jchen on January 01, 2009, 10:18:14 AM
Chinese food, kind of hard to say what it is in English. :) I eat Chinese food almost everyday. It's almost because some days we eat pizza, or go out.  ;D :) 0:) $:) :D

Good to be consistent, for sure! ;D

jchen

to be exact, right now at this exact moment I just finished a donut  ;D ::)

arkiv

SonicMan46

Quote from: epicous on January 02, 2009, 09:01:22 PM
Tacos al Pastor

Boy, that 'column' of meat(s) looks great - kind of like the Greek gyros:D

SonicMan46

Susan is really getting into these 'natural' chickens - bought one called Poulet Rouge Fermier at Whole Foods - thought that it was from France (of course, originally is!), but was grown in Piedmont, North Carolina and sold by Joyce Foods in my home town - what do ya know -   8)

Description HERE - she roasted the bird in our convection oven; meat was not as tender as a regular chicken (fine w/ me), but there was less fat on the bird (I did the carving) and the flavors were wonderful, just fuller and more 'gamy' - believe that we'll be trying these 'free range organic' chickens more often -  :)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on January 03, 2009, 06:47:42 AM
Susan is really getting into these 'natural' chickens - bought one called Poulet Rouge Fermier at Whole Foods - thought that it was from France (of course, originally is!), but was grown in Piedmont, North Carolina and sold by Joyce Foods in my home town - what do ya know -   8)

Description HERE - she roasted the bird in our convection oven; meat was not as tender as a regular chicken (fine w/ me), but there was less fat on the bird (I did the carving) and the flavors were wonderful, just fuller and more 'gamy' - believe that we'll be trying these 'free range organic' chickens more often -  :)

Will give this a try, Dave.  We always cook our whole chickens in one of these.

Always comes out very tender.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/large/1188140_w_co_f_bricks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_17055_-1_39149_10551&usg=__oT_p3_d1H0rbfAIPaUr7rLetKzI=&h=255&w=312&sz=21&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=DlfwI3PW5DJokM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchicken%2Bterracotta%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DiiT%26sa%3DN
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on January 03, 2009, 06:55:24 AM
Will give this a try, Dave.  We always cook our whole chickens in one of these.

Always comes out very tender.  Terracotta Pot

Bill - that chicken in a pot looks great, too!  Susan has done that in a roasting pan, but not one from terracotta - thanks!  Dave

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on January 03, 2009, 06:47:42 AM

These things are pricey, but when I taste them I know why I don't mind spending that extra money.

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on January 03, 2009, 08:43:24 AM
These things are pricey, but when I taste them I know why I don't mind spending that extra money.

Hi Allan - yep, those birds do cost a little more (not sure 'what' she paid?), but we had a different one on Christmas Day which was wonderful, also - but I really liked that French chicken, and even supporting the local Piedmont economy!   :)  Dave

toledobass

ughhh

went out last night

drank

ate taco bell

Homo Aestheticus

A nice appetizer of fresh cockles (baby clams) in brine with a sprinkle of lemon juice...  I am not a drinker but this goes especially well with a small Beck's beer... :)

Anne

Château Latour, Yours for $200 Million

Posted Jan 2nd 2009 8:02AM by Jared Paul Stern
Filed under: Wine

Fabled Bordeaux brand Château Latour, widely regarded as one of the finest wines from the Medoc region, is being offered for sale by top-drawer investment bank Lazard Freres, the London Times reports. French business tycoon and president of the luxury-goods group PPR, François Pinault, is seeking $200 million - $280 million for it, the paper reports.

Pinault, whose holdings include Christie's (also rumored to be for sale), Gucci and Puma, paid about $150 million for Latour in 1993. Bernard Magrez, owner of the rival Pape Clément winery, is said to be a strong contender, perhaps with backing from his and friend fellow wine aficionado Gérard Depardieu.

The Château Latour estate consists of 190 acres of Bordeaux vineyards, but only grapes from the 115 acres that surround the actual chateau at the heart of the estate are used to make the Grand Vin de Château Latour (right). A case of the 1961 vintage fetched an impressive $170,000 at auction by Christie's in Hong Kong last month.

Gallery: Château Latour