What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

Mmm pasta...whole grain pasta and sauce I made...using some sugar with the tomato was a big plus!
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Mozart

Do some olive oils have a really bitter after taste? I tried a new one today, and in my mouth it was fine, but after swallowing it, I felt as if I drank poison.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mozart on July 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM
Do some olive oils have a really bitter after taste?

The short answer: Yes. The difference between bad and good olive oil (often, and often strongly, but not necessarily related to price point) is like the difference between ketchup and sun grown tomatoes.

SonicMan46

Away for a few nights in the Triangle area of North Carolina - staying @ the Washington Duke Inn, and just had a fabulous meal - plan to return the next evening; will report later! Dave  :)

Mozart

Quote from: jlaurson on July 17, 2009, 03:48:03 PM
The short answer: Yes. The difference between bad and good olive oil (often, and often strongly, but not necessarily related to price point) is like the difference between ketchup and sun grown tomatoes.

I bought a big tub of casserta olive oil and it has no such after taste, but this one from trader joe tastes like poison. I left it on my tounge and nothing, but after swallowing it? EEEEEEEEk what is this crap?

Brünnhilde ewig

Do you pay attention to where the oil comes from? Italy? Spain? Greece? If you were a reader of The New Yorker magazine, you couldn't have missed their long investigative article about the Italian Olive Oil Mafia, bringing cheap peanut oil by tankers to Italy and mix with Italian olive oil.

I prefer Greek Olive oil. Martini's is a good one. Of course California also grows olives and produces oil! :)

Mozart

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on July 17, 2009, 07:43:51 PM
Do you pay attention to where the oil comes from? Italy? Spain? Greece? If you were a reader of The New Yorker magazine, you couldn't have missed their long investigative article about the Italian Olive Oil Mafia, bringing cheap peanut oil by tankers to Italy and mix with Italian olive oil.

I prefer Greek Olive oil. Martini's is a good one. Of course California also grows olives and produces oil! :)
Hmm it was italian.....trader giotto's

anyways ill give it one more shot, if not ill return it.

QuoteI bought Trader Giotto's Extra Virgin Olive Oil and made some marinara sauce. It has an after taste I don't like

I guess I am not the only one!

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on July 17, 2009, 07:43:51 PM

One should have one cooking olive oil... a good, clean, and reasonably inexpensive oil that's not too strong in taste, no bitterness in the aftertaste, no harshness. Lo and behold, I've always found SAFEWAY Gold to be such an oil; much preferable over Whole Foods' 356 brand. But there is a plethora of other choices...

All depends on personal taste, availability, and quantity needed. For me, even as a single cook, it made sense to go for a half gallon cannister... others might use less and better get a big bottle.

Choosing olive oils for cold use, or use where the taste is essential, is a matter of tasting your way through whatever is expensive or--if you have importers or live near Italy or places where they make good oil--getting recommendations... and then finding a few choices you really like.

Good olive oil must be a DELIGHT to sip pure... dip your bread into (perhaps with a few flakes of sea salt or without salt on Sardinian bread). And of course it must enhance your Carpaccio, not drag it down. The differences are staggering. I don't know non-Italian oils very well, but I reckon they're similar in variety. From very light colored oils from northern Italy that distinctly tastes like green apple. Earthy, unfiltered dark brown oils from Sicily...
etc.etc.

Wanderer

Quote from: Mozart on July 17, 2009, 03:00:20 PM
Do some olive oils have a really bitter after taste?

Not the good ones. Olive oil of not-so-good quality leaves a more or less sour aftertaste; bad ones may taste acrid; a "really bitter" taste sounds like the oil is spoilt or, worse, mixed with who knows what.

Mozart

Roasted chickpeas...with spices

they are crunchy and gold but i think would taste better with ranch

Mozart

Someone please murder me right now because the pasta I just ate...its the best meal of my life and I feel I can never match it.

Maybe its due to the olive oil i was B1tching over, which made my pasta fabulous...MMMMMMMMMMMM I won't drink it because its poison, but cooking with it? FANTASTIC!

I kid you not, the best meal of my life! I ate each bite with a smile.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mozart on July 21, 2009, 11:05:41 AM
Someone please murder me right now because the pasta I just ate...its the best meal of my life and I feel I can never match it.

Maybe its due to the olive oil i was B1tching over, which made my pasta fabulous...MMMMMMMMMMMM I won't drink it because its poison, but cooking with it? FANTASTIC!

I kid you not, the best meal of my life! I ate each bite with a smile.

Now that the cooking is going nicely, you'll be onto photography lessons. :-)

Mozart

Quote from: jlaurson on July 21, 2009, 11:13:30 AM
Now that the cooking is going nicely, you'll be onto photography lessons. :-)

Its my webcam, its older than I am and crappy...it really made my chickpeas look disgusting...but they were golden in color and not bad! The pasta OTOH was fantastic...I need a new digital camera! My webcam sucks

Mozart

A few changes to my pasta today. I cant eat alot in summer, after lunch yesterday I was stuffed lazy and sweating and can't eat much. So I'm having pasta for breakfast. I added more oil, some wheat germ into the sauce, and covered the pasta in gold and brown flax seeds. I don't know if its better or worse for it, certainly more colorful.

ChamberNut

Lethevich

Woah, such hate for the awesome garlic press. There isn't really any waste if it has a removable grate which you can scrape off with a knife, and it stops my hands from stinking :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Tapkaara

Doing an Indian buffet for lunch. Mmmmm....naan....

Mozart

Sorry for the photo! My webcam makes everything look awful.

This is brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, with plain yogurt, wheat germ, and flax seeds. Or as my friend called it "a fiber bomb."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mozart on July 23, 2009, 03:51:57 PM
Sorry for the photo! My webcam makes everything look awful.

This is brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, with plain yogurt, wheat germ, and flax seeds. Or as my friend called it "a fiber bomb."

Mozart - LOL!  ;D  Buy a digital camera and become a better photographer - first suggestion; then, be sure that you take a 'laxative' w/ that dish of yours (I'm speaking as a GI radiologist) - but, all kidding aside, enjoy your posts - Dave  :)

Mozart

Yes I need a new one! Last time I went throw an airport mine broke, I guess through the scan...I guess you can get a good camera now for 80$ so I should.

I am not a bad photographer! You've not seen any of my real photos before  ;)