What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hildegard

Cucumber soup with mini Melba toast and goat cheese floating on top; turkey burger with a touch of Peter Luger's steak sauce; mix of marinated artichoke hearts, tomatoes, and green beans; Greek yougurt blended with fresh strawberries. Sorry, no pix! I was too hungry!  ;D

toledobass

Some more Filipino food.  For last nights dinner I prepared the heart clogging lechon kawali.  It's a deep fired pork belly dish.  I had a small tomato salad and some mustard greens sauteed with fish sauce with it.

Allan

Brünnhilde ewig

What a temptation to put my supper plate next to the first picture of your supper! Allan, how many Underbergdo you gulp after such a meal? It does look very appetising though!  :D

Harpo

Quote from: toledobass on August 10, 2009, 10:36:28 AM
Some more Filipino food.  For last nights dinner I prepared the heart clogging lechon kawali.  It's a deep fired pork belly dish.  I had a small tomato salad and some mustard greens sauteed with fish sauce with it.

Allan

Oops, at first I thought that your pork belly was accompanied by jelly beans (not teardrop tomatoes). Could have been tasty. :) Actually, I wish I could taste some of your Filipino cuisine; it looks yummy.

I have been buying locally grown tomatoes and peaches, and so I made a salad with cut-up tomatoes, olive oil and basil from my wonderful aerogarden, described previously by Sonic.

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 06, 2009, 09:44:25 AM
Went to Austin on business a few days ago, perfected the "road food" logistics

in the morning up 71 to Hruskas - pan sausage & sauerkraut kolache & a pan sausage, jalepeno & cheese kolache

back through Lockhart (the BBQ capital of Texas) and bought a pound each of brisket, ribs & sausage at Kreuz Market

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=587

Man, that sounds like a great menu, Steve. And to top it off, with Hruskas having 'ne  w bathrooms' soon, it's be just about perfect! ;)

The rest of the world is in deep envy of the way we Texans get to eat. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Wallfisch, Orfeo Baroque Orchestra - TWV 51:A4 Violin Concerto mvt. 2
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harpo

Little Richard's BB-Q! Succulent chunks of smoked pork in a tomato-vinegar sauce piquante a la Lexington, NC. With red or white slaw. Optional: oversized white hamburger buns, hush puppies (fried cornmeal) and pommes frites. Suggested traditional pairing is "sweet tea" (iced).

toledobass

All of the bbq up here is junk.  These posts have me in the mood for it though so I made some collard greens with black eyed peas.  It's doing an ok job ok satisfying my smoked meat craving. Made a broth with 2 smoked hocks and half a pound of bacon skimming and simmering for about an hour.  Then put in a whole onion some red pepper flakes, a good bit of black pepper and some salt.  Added the black eyed peas and the greens and simmered for another hour or so before I had to have a bowl.  Yummy especially the broth which Ive read is known as potlikker in the south.

Allan

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on August 14, 2009, 11:03:54 AM
All of the bbq up here is junk.  These posts have me in the mood for it though so I made some collard greens with black eyed peas.  It's doing an ok job ok satisfying my smoked meat craving. Made a broth with 2 smoked hocks and half a pound of bacon skimming and simmering for about an hour.  Then put in a whole onion some red pepper flakes, a good bit of black pepper and some salt.  Added the black eyed peas and the greens and simmered for another hour or so before I had to have a bowl.  Yummy especially the broth which Ive read is known as potlikker in the south.

Allan

I'll be right over.  ;D

--Bruce

toledobass

Better hurry...it's a big pot but it's going quick!

Harpo

Quote from: toledobass on August 14, 2009, 11:03:54 AM

Allan

Sounds authentically Southern to me. Sonic is originally from Toledo and I don't remember him ever mentioning barbecue; I don't remember it in Michigan, either. Perhaps Midwest barbecue is something like Hunt's Manwich?

toledobass

Maybe there just aren't enough warm months up here for would be pitmasters to get good practice.  Most people up here seem to think that grilled chicken with some crappy ketchup with some ceyanne in it is great BBQ.  Oh well.... At least there are good perogis up here. :)

ChamberNut

Man, this whole page has done nothing but make me drool all over myself!  ;D

ChamberNut

OK....I'm embarrassed.  :-[  I want to make Hummus.  All recipes seem to ask for Tahini, and by God.....I've never heard of Tahini before, and have no clue what it is.

Is Tahini necessary, or will just the chick peas, lemon and minced garlic pretty much do it?

My wife is away for the weekend for a 'girl's weekend out', otherwise I'd ask her.  ;D

Chosen Barley

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 15, 2009, 03:34:19 PM
OK....I'm embarrassed.  :-[  I want to make Hummus.  All recipes seem to ask for Tahini, and by God.....I've never heard of Tahini before, and have no clue what it is.

Is Tahini necessary, or will just the chick peas, lemon and minced garlic pretty much do it?

My wife is away for the weekend for a 'girl's weekend out', otherwise I'd ask her.  ;D

Tahini (sesame paste, kind of like peanut butter, but not as tasty) gives the hummus a nicer texture, better spreadability, and makes it heartier and more filling.  And it will contain more protein that way. But then, you don't need to add that much.  Also, you need to salt the mixture.  Tamari (naturally fermented soy sauce) is nice in the right amount, but plain salt will do.  Tahini is easy to locate in the ethnic section of the supermarket or in ethnic stores. 
Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Chosen Barley on August 15, 2009, 04:04:50 PM
Tahini (sesame paste, kind of like peanut butter, but not as tasty) gives the hummus a nicer texture, better spreadability, and makes it heartier and more filling.  And it will contain more protein that way. But then, you don't need to add that much.  Also, you need to salt the mixture.  Tamari (naturally fermented soy sauce) is nice in the right amount, but plain salt will do.  Tahini is easy to locate in the ethnic section of the supermarket or in ethnic stores. 

Great, exactly the info I was looking for.  Thank you so much, CB!  :)

jlaurson

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 15, 2009, 04:08:40 PM
Great, exactly the info I was looking for.  Thank you so much, CB!  :)

If/when you get your can or jar of Tahini, note that the oil will eventually separate from solid parts. No worry... like with an old can of paint, you just stir it back into a seamy mass. (Well, "just" might be understating it: You will find that it could be--literally--hard to do. Don' t use your favorite spoon; it might bend completely out of shape.  ;))

It is easy to take too much Tahini for your hummus, but it is essential. Don't forget the garlic.

toledobass

Stopped by the local growers market yesterday.  Came away with too much stuff as usuall. Last night I made ratatouille using the extremelly refined French Laundry preperation.  This morning I threw together a brine and submerged some cukes, garlic and tarragon for pickles that will be ready in a while.  I'll put up some pics later.

Harpo

Quote from: jlaurson on August 16, 2009, 01:39:58 AM
If/when you get your can or jar of Tahini, note that the oil will eventually separate from solid parts. No worry... like with an old can of paint, you just stir it back into a seamy mass. (Well, "just" might be understating it: You will find that it could be--literally--hard to do. Don' t use your favorite spoon; it might bend completely out of shape.  ;))....

That's why I don't make any recipes with tahine as the ingredient. It's too frustrating. :)

Chosen Barley

Quote from: Harpo on August 16, 2009, 09:46:22 AM
That's why I don't make any recipes with tahine as the ingredient. It's too frustrating. :)

You could use a small wooden spoon, or at least that is what I do.  Haven't broken it yet!   ;)
Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited.

toledobass

Ratatouille pics