What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Quote from: Harpo on September 05, 2009, 07:45:29 AM

You've aged very well, Susan!  :)

Mango chicken curry, with rice, zucchini, mushrooms and green beans.  Spicy mixed pickle on the side to mix in and give it that tremendous spicy and tart kick (very addictive!).  And of course, Naan bread.

Harpo

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 05, 2009, 03:43:00 PM
You've aged very well, Susan!  :)

Thanks! Not everyone can age backwards.....   :)   (well maybe Benjamin Button)
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Chosen Barley

Quote from: jlaurson on August 29, 2009, 12:40:35 AM
You are certainly right: It is complex--health... healthy eating... living. In fact, it is even more complex than "avoiding meat is healthier for the animals" would make it seem.
There are times when that is true... as with the whole meat-industry complex*.

But there are times when that isn't true. Population control does indeed much to increase the health of animals... hunters are in those cases merely a natural extension (or replacement) of nature. (Better yet: not to see ourselves outside of nature. We have "replaced" bears... now dear-hunting is our duty.) Population control can also be good for the health of those animals that are usually the victims of those hunted.

Humans as a species don't generally like complexity, though (hence this very generalization  ;D) and thus we resort to 'easy' extremes. In that sense the politics of DIETING and the politics of Middle East Peace are very similar.

(*I don't condemn it--it's not upon me to de-facto forbid poor people to enjoy meat... I just don't like it and don't support it either by not eating meat or, if/when I can afford it, getting the good stuff... or having it shot by a gun-wielding friend.)

Thanks for your post in reply to mine.   I wouldn't agree, tho, that "hunters are in those cases merely a natural extension (or replacement) of nature. (Better yet: not to see ourselves outside of nature. We have "replaced" bears... now dear-hunting is our duty.) Population control can also be good for the health of those animals that are usually the victims of those hunted."

Surely you must realize that a hunter with a h.p. rifle + scope + disguises + ability to hide up in a tree, etc. are advantages that no deer has.  Worse, even, is that hunters don't shoot the skinny, decrepit, old, wormy deer, which are usually the ones that would be caught & killed by a naturally-occurring animal predator.  They shoot healthy bucks in large numbers, leaving the inferior ones' genes to be passed on, etc. etc. So, hunters who hunt with all these technological benefits are not a "natural" extension or replacement of nature.  I don't know what the solution is to population problems of any sort, including the most foul species of all.

Could you expand on your 3rd & 4th paragraphs?  I am not that swift.
Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited.

jlaurson

Quote from: Chosen Barley on September 06, 2009, 12:42:29 PM
Surely you must realize that a hunter with a h.p. rifle + scope + disguises + ability to hide up in a tree, etc. are advantages that no deer has.  Worse, even, is that hunters don't shoot the skinny, decrepit, old, wormy deer, which are usually the ones that would be caught & killed by a naturally-occurring animal predator.  They shoot healthy bucks in large numbers, leaving the inferior ones' genes to be passed on, etc. etc. So, hunters who hunt with all these technological benefits are not a "natural" extension or replacement of nature.  I don't know what the solution is to population problems of any sort, including the most foul species of all.

Could you expand on your 3rd & 4th paragraphs?  I am not that swift.

The point about human hunters replacing animal hunters is not that humans are smarter/better equipped (any deer would find the advantage a pack of wolfs has, or any antilope those of a lion etc. quite "unfair", too, I'm sure.) It's just about replacing hunters in terms of population control.

You make a good point about hunters going for healthy dear, not the weak ones... but that assumes most hunters are good at what they are doing and actually track and kill the smart, strong ones... and even if hunters have no positive influence on the deer gene-pool, gamekeepers will do just that, because it's their job.

Too late at night and I'm too exhausted to clarify my abbreviated and confusing statements right now... will get back shortly, though. Cheers & best.

MN Dave

Tonight we are having soy sauce chicken with baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

ChamberNut

Homemade borscht soup from our neighbours.  BBQ turkey burgers topped with fresh homemade salsa my wife made.  :)

Delish...... 0:)

Mozart

A little falafel, some bread, hummus, some salad

and you get this glorious meal

"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

Mozart

In case anyone was wondering, its israeli salad. Basically cucumber, tomato, parsley, green pepper, lime juice, and olive oil.

Yummmy...it took me about 8 times to perfect my falafel, but not its always delicious!

Chosen Barley

Quote from: Harpo on September 03, 2009, 11:52:47 AM

Champagne grapes--tiny, sweet and intense, best scraped off the stem with your teeth. They are not the grapes real champagne is made from (Chardonnay, Pinot Noir); the name comes from a photo in a magazine in which a bunch of the grapes were alongside a flute of Champagne. They are actually Corinth grapes, which when dried are called Zante currants.

It always rubbed me the wrong way that the "currants" we buy in the store are actually the variety of grape (Corinth) that you mention.  I could never figure out why they misrepresent their product.  Real currants grow on a bush and would be just as easy to grow & harvest.  We have a large clove currant bush in our yard.  Maybe I should start a business growing & drying true currants (Ribes) for folks who want the real thing, not glorified tiny grapes.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I am sure that the champagne grapes are much tastier in their fresh form, too. 
Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited.

SonicMan46

Well, tonight eating 'in house' - Susan did well!  :D

Shrimp Cakes - Thai flavorings w/ chunky pieces of shrimp - made by our local 'seafood' place - just heat them up and delicious!

Bok Choy w/ mushrooms - sauteed & steam lightly - one of my favorite veggies!

Tomatoes w/ basil - tomatoes from a local farmer's market - just red, juicy, & tasty!  Basil picked in the basement fresh!

Wine - Pinot Grigio 2008 - Italian; Banfi - inexpensive & refreshing - great w/ this dinner - hey, I'm happy tonight!  ;D

Papageno

Bread and cheese

+

Mozart

I made 2 types of falafel tonight, 1 with chickpeas and 1 with fava beans. I dont know why but with fava beans, it tastes spicy. I guess it used a different onion, are yellow onions spicy?

Everyone preferred the garbanzo one slightly. but they were both interesting. I've really become pro  :)

Lethevich

I've been making student-level simplicity food with tagliatelle recently - I'm really loving this pasta, it adds great texture to almost anything. I'm forcing myself to use as few ingredients as possible, as that way there is less to screw up.

Earlier: with mushrooms fried in garlic infused olive oil and butter. Basil added at the end.

Last week: with gorgonzola cheese sauce and mixed small vegetables (peas, diced celery).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe on September 11, 2009, 10:52:42 PM
I've been making student-level simplicity food with tagliatelle recently - I'm really loving this pasta, it adds great texture to almost anything. I'm forcing myself to use as few ingredients as possible, as that way there is less to screw up.

Earlier: with mushrooms fried in garlic infused olive oil and butter. Basil added at the end.

Last week: with gorgonzola cheese sauce and mixed small vegetables (peas, diced celery).

You are on a great path... indeed a path toward mastery. Congratulations and enjoy!

ChamberNut

Quote from: SonicMan on September 11, 2009, 05:04:43 PM
Bok Choy w/ mushrooms - sauteed & steam lightly - one of my favorite veggies!

Bok choy, Dave?  Me too!  Love it.  Especially the mini bok choy.  Great for steaming/sauteeing.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 12, 2009, 06:48:57 PM
Bok choy, Dave?  Me too!  Love it.  Especially the mini bok choy.  Great for steaming/sauteeing.  :)

Ray - yes, the Bok Choy was just wonderful, as usual - just love the appearance of white/green, the different textures, and the varied tastes - when we eat out and there is an offering including this veggie, I invariably order the dish!  :D

Now, I must say that those 'fresh' local vine picked tomatoes where the best I've had in AGES, esp. w/ the fresh basil from our Aero Garden located in our basement; this 'hydroponoic' system works well w/ this system!  :)

Brian

About to go have waffles at the university pub's Waffle Night. I'd rather have one of Dave/Susan's delectable-looking fish cakes, though...  :D

SonicMan46

Susan & I are on a 'long weekend' vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC, a very 'eclectic' vacation spot w/ plenty of attractions, activities, eating/shopping spots, and miles of beautiful beaches, but on our arrival night we ate at a 'chain' restaurant called LeGrand's, which emphasizes Alaskan seafood products flown in from southern Alaska on nearly a daily basis!  Well, we could not turn down this experience, so tonight:

Oysters on half-shell - shared a dozen (one of our favs!) - these were just delicious!

Spinach Salad w/ baby spinach, blue cheese, strawberries, Granny Smith apples, candied pecans, and a light well-tossed vinaigrette dressing - this was just delicious; we plan to return to this place and will likely have a repeat!

Then decided to share a bunch of appetizers:

Mussels - Prince Edward Island - pan seared w/ seasoning & butter - whole pound - tasty!

Crab Cakes w/ remoulade sauce - large lumps of crab w/ very little to hold them together - our fav way!

Alaskan King Crab - chilled & a specialty, i.e. flown in from their Alaskan source; again, superb!

For me, some glasses of Sauvignon Blacn from New Zealand - great combination!

Shared a delicious dessert w/ some Irish coffee - if interested, check out their site/menu HERE - we plan to return to this place in the next few days!  ;D

toledobass

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day in the kitchen curing meat.  I've got bacon, pancetta, duck proscuitto curing right now.  The pancetta and bacon will take a week to cure then the bacon will be smoked and the pancetta hung to dry.  The duck will be hung up to dry tonight.  I also have some duck legs
curing for some confit.

Allan

Papageno

No ascetics here, only akratic, greedy slaves of desire?