What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Riffing on carbonnade.....using left over duck legs.

WI Dan

Quote from: Papageno on September 19, 2009, 12:32:43 PM
No ascetics here, only akratic, greedy slaves of desire?

Mind your manners and put some pants on.

SonicMan46

Susan & I are still in Myrtle Beach and eating quite well:

Last night - Collector's Cafe just 5 mins from our hotel - located on 17th & 179th Ave; some interesting art work on the walls, hence the name - all is for sale but tremendously overpriced (our table was next to a 'Picasso-like' cubist painting selling for $15,000!); for me:

Mixed greens salad w/ blue cheese & a wonderfully mild balsamic vinaigrette dressing!

Tuna, grilled rare sliced & served over a couscous salad w/ ginger, wasabi, & sesame oil; light & excellent -  :D

Dessert - shared a fresh blueberry tart w/ homemade ice cream w/ Susan; could have had two -   :)

Wine - Pinot Noir from Domaine Carneros - excellent choice as usual; my favorite grape w/ this fish.

This is our second visit to this restaurant in MB, and we plan to return on our next stay; considered one of the best on the Grand Strand; not cheap but worth the experience.

BTW - Susan had the Herb roasted New Zealand lamb racked - had a bite - just delicious!

Today - lunch - oysters on half shelf & poy boys!  Dinner - something light before a show - sushi!   :D

Brian

Cafeteria dinner was:
Macaroni and cheese
Corn w/ onions and peppers
Cheesecake with Oreo crust

DavidW

Dave man, I envy you, your dinners sound heavenly. 0:)

Gurn Blanston

Brian, man, I envy you, your dinners sound heavenly.   0:)

Anyway, I just finished some smoked fresh salmon (Kathy smokes them with oak from the Back 40), corn-on-the-cob, green salad. Now a nice Puros Indios Toro to top it all off. Sunday evening at home.... ;)

8)

----------------
Listening to: Brüggen - Schubert - Symphony No.5 in Bb D485 - IV- Allegro vivace
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

I feel Brian's pain, I had a frozen pizza.  I usually only feel like cooking when it's summer time and I have more free time and less stress. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on September 20, 2009, 05:00:33 PM
I feel Brian's pain, I had a frozen pizza.  I usually only feel like cooking when it's summer time and I have more free time and less stress. :)

Yeah, but I was serious. I'm strictly a low-brow eater. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 20, 2009, 05:13:45 PM
Yeah, but I was serious. I'm strictly a low-brow eater. :)

8)

Actually today was the best cafeteria day all week. The mac 'n' cheese was with a really intriguing blend of cheeses, the corn was great, and the cheesecake scrumptious. I would have loved to try that salmon, but all in all, this was much better than some of the bizarre stuff our cafeteria serves up every once in a while. (Friday night was fajita meat that hadn't been seasoned or placed in fajitas, or actually given any indication of wanting to be a fajita. So I got some onions from the salad bar and a dollop of garlic yogurt sauce from the burger stand, where somebody had inexplicably put a tub of garlic yogurt in the place where the sour cream was supposed to be, and made a vaguely middle eastern dish out of it all. :P :P)

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2009, 03:14:04 PM
Cafeteria dinner was:
Macaroni and cheese
Corn w/ onions and peppers
Cheesecake with Oreo crust

I thought the prestigious Rice University would serve gourmet food, or at least something that is healthier.     ???

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on September 20, 2009, 06:33:19 PM
I thought the prestigious Rice University would serve gourmet food, or at least something that is healthier.     ???

I thought so too.  :( ;D  Let's just say that the economy has hit Housing & Dining's budget hard.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on September 20, 2009, 06:14:00 PM
and made a vaguely middle eastern dish out of it all. :P :P)

Vague indeed.

It is rare that a recipe in the NYT Sunday Magazine sounds irresistible, but today was an exception, and so I made a pork loin with a glaze of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar, garnished with sauteed green apples, candied pecans, and candied ginger, all accompanied by polenta. I had to drive a half-hour to the nearest Whole Foods in hoping of finding the ginger. The recipe actually asks for pork chops, but I roasted a boneless loin to made it easier to reheat the leftovers. It does also need something green on the plate, like sauteed spinach or broccoli.  :)
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on September 20, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
Dave man, I envy you, your dinners sound heavenly. 0:)

David - well, Susan (a.k.a. Harpo) needs to be fed well, so I just come along for the ride!  ;) ;D

But, as Gurn states, some of our favorite meals are pretty 'low brow' - doesn't take much to shuck some oysters & steam up a pile of shellfish, as long as all is fresh and not overdone!  :D  Dave

Brian

Today at lunch, another meal after Gurn's heart!

Pulled-pork sandwich
Macaroni and cheese (it must have been on discount or something...)
Sauteed asparagus and mushrooms

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on September 21, 2009, 12:00:40 PM
Today at lunch, another meal after Gurn's heart!

Pulled-pork sandwich
Macaroni and cheese (it must have been on discount or something...)
Sauteed asparagus and mushrooms

I love pulled pork sandwiches!!!  Yum gimme!! :)  Also that asparagus and mushrooms sound wicked good. :)

MN Dave

Very simple, but one of my faves tonight: baked chicken.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on September 21, 2009, 12:06:00 PM
Very simple, but one of my faves tonight: baked chicken.

I like Cornish Game Hen, cheap, small, just slather it in butter, pop it in the oven and it comes out tender and moist. :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on September 21, 2009, 12:07:42 PM
I like Cornish Game Hen, cheap, small, just slather it in butter, pop it in the oven and it comes out tender and moist. :)

Yep, a fav of ours too for a home cooked meal!  Years ago I thought that this was a 'special game' bird from some far off land - the name just sounds romantic, but only a young whole chicken and not necessarily a hen; but OH SO TASTY!  :P 

Quote below from WIKI:

Quote Cornish game hen, also sometimes called a Cornish hen, poussin, Rock Cornish hen, or simply Rock Cornish, is a young chicken sold whole. Despite the name, it is not a game bird, but actually a typical chicken that is slaughtered at a young age and therefore is smaller in size. Though the bird is called a "hen," it can be either male or female.

MN Dave

I want my chickens to have a life before I eat them.  :P