What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: MN Dave on September 21, 2009, 12:24:44 PM
I want my chickens to have a life before I eat them.  :P

Well, that leaves out veal, lamb chops, suckling pig, and baby octupus (and likely others) - Dave  ;D

DavidW

That also leaves out scrambled eggs. ;D

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan on September 21, 2009, 12:20:49 PM
Yep, a fav of ours too for a home cooked meal!  Years ago I thought that this was a 'special game' bird from some far off land - the name just sounds romantic, but only a young whole chicken and not necessarily a hen; but OH SO TASTY!  :P 

Quote below from WIKI:

I didn't know that!  Oh I'm eating babies how delicious! :) >:D

MN Dave

Quote from: SonicMan on September 21, 2009, 12:42:16 PM
Well, that leaves out veal, lamb chops, suckling pig, and baby octupus (and likely others) - Dave  ;D

I'll pass on all those but DavidW has a point about the eggs.  ;D

But, which came first?

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on September 21, 2009, 11:42:53 AM
But, as Gurn states, some of our favorite meals are pretty 'low brow' - doesn't take much to shuck some oysters & steam up a pile of shellfish, as long as all is fresh and not overdone!  :D  Dave

In our early years we were really lowbrow: hot dogs and American cheese wrapped in Pillsbury croissants, Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, and spaghetti with Campbell's tomato soup and Colby cheese. Accompanied by Vernors ginger ale (the offical drink of Michigan).

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on September 21, 2009, 12:42:16 PM
Well, that leaves out veal, lamb chops, suckling pig, and baby octupus (and likely others) - Dave  ;D

As you know, I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but baby octopi have round, squishy heads, which give me nightmares.

toledobass

Sausages braised with grapes on polenta.  Very low brow in Italy. :)

Allan

jlaurson

Quote from: MN Dave on September 21, 2009, 01:32:43 PM
I'll pass on all those but DavidW has a point about the eggs.  ;D

But, which came first?

The egg, since you ask.

(Not to be a party pooper, but that's the answer. Since all chickens are necessarily born from eggs, but many animals lay eggs, it goes to reason that an ever so slightly different animal than the "chicken" we now know, laid the first egg that contained that chicken.  Transmutation is the name of the game.)

Conor71

Breakfast time: Toast with Strawberry Jam and a Coffee

Lilas Pastia

I saw one moving !  :o

I did, I did see one moving !!  :o :o

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 01, 2009, 06:03:13 PM

I saw one moving !  :o

I did, I did see one moving !!  :o :o

AndrĂ© - LOL!  ;D  Susan finds these Baby Octopi creapy, but notice 'no heads' attached to this cooked bunch - now having been to Quebec City several times, I don't remember 'earthquakes' being a problem but maybe your computer monitor is shaking?  ;) :D

Dave  :)

Brian

Just went to a chain burger place, Smashburger, and had a custom burger. I designed and devoured a bacon and pepper jack burger with grilled onions and guacamole. Yum!  :D

ChamberNut

That sounds really good, Brian!

I am now playing the fartsichord, a few hours after a large helping of my wife's wonderful homemade leek, potato, corn and onion soup!  :D

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on October 03, 2009, 04:44:11 PM
Just went to a chain burger place, Smashburger, and had a custom burger. I designed and devoured a bacon and pepper jack burger with grilled onions and guacamole. Yum!  :D

Just threw some burgers on the grill.... :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

A repeat tonight from a few months back, Susan picked up some Osso Buco (braised veal shank - description below from their website) from 'Whole Foods' locally - package came w/ two shanks pre-cooked (w/ ingredients described below), so just needed to re-heat them; as side dishes, she served Wild Rice which we topped w/ a little of the veal sauce & added a nice salad of greens w/ walnuts & blue cheese.

Boy, I usually don't like these pre-fab dishes (and rarely have them), but this veal was just superb!  The meat was 'fork' tender, fell off the bone, and was wonderfully flavored (as good as I've had in a restaurant); the rice was a perfect side along w/ the salad.  Of course, one of the 'highlights' of this meat dish is picking out the bone marrow w/ a little 'lobster' fork - I gave Susan my bone shank (guess not my thing!) - her face glowed!

The company is Cuisine Solutions - the veal was a second experience, but we've also tried the New Zealand Lamb Shanks, also delicious; still need to have the 'seafood products' - and the calories/fats/etc. were quite respectable - of course, a light red wine for the evening (decanted an Oregon Pinot Noir) -  :)

ChamberNut

Sounds delish, Dave!  :)   Mmmmmm.....bone marrow!

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on October 03, 2009, 05:44:15 PM
A repeat tonight from a few months back, Susan picked up some Osso Buco (braised veal shank - description below from their website) from 'Whole Foods' locally .... I gave Susan my bone shank (guess not my thing!) - her face glowed!

The company is Cuisine Solutions - the veal was a second experience, but we've also tried the New Zealand Lamb Shanks, also delicious; still need to have the 'seafood products' - and the calories/fats/etc. were quite respectable - of course, a light red wine for the evening (decanted an Oregon Pinot Noir) -  :)

So that people don't run to Whole Foods, I got it from the Fresh Market which is a regional chain. And yes, I love the marrow.

Lethevich

More experimenting - cooking is hella fun. Prawns with tomato and chorizo sauce.

This went surprisingly well as frying the chorizo with onions before putting the tomatos in really softens it up - it's still chewy, but no more so than the prawns. I fried the prawns with smoked paprika, as I love that stuff, but it's not neccessary, taste-wise.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

Quote from: Lethe on October 07, 2009, 12:27:28 AM
More experimenting - cooking is hella fun. Prawns with tomato and chorizo sauce.

Don't tell them though, they might not appreciate it!

;D

toledobass

I've been enjoying cooking heartier food in this cooler fall weather.  Here's some bread I baked,  braised lamb shanks, a panade and some chicken bouillabaisse.

A panade is a satisfying and comforting dish that takes day old bread and layers it with onion and in this case spinach and gruyere.  It then gets filled with broth or water then baked for a few hours till it becomes a firm moist solid dressing of sorts. 

Allan