What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

Home made pea and ham soup. It looks entirely unnatural but tastes beautiful.

Harpo

Calamari Part II:  cut into rings, with a sauce of garlic, basil, black olives and fresh tomatoes. Over fettucine.  

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

jlaurson

Quote from: Harpo on October 28, 2009, 05:11:51 AM
Calamari Part II:  cut into rings, with a sauce of garlic, basil, black olives and fresh tomatoes. Over fettucine.  

We demand original photography!  ;D

Harpo

Quote from: jlaurson on November 03, 2009, 10:53:35 PM
We demand original photography!  ;D

What gave me away? The compsition of the photo? Spaghetti instead of fettucine? Sonic ate the dish without photographing it first.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Harpo on November 04, 2009, 04:29:20 PM
What gave me away? The compsition of the photo? Spaghetti instead of fettucine? Sonic ate the dish without photographing it first.

1) Spaghetti over fettucinis is right !
2) The telltale ring of dried parsley on the plate  ::).
3) You don't serve bread over pasta in the same plate - should have been done 20 mins before the main course  ;)

;D

That being said, I'd have eaten the plate lock, stock and parsley barrel   :D

Harpo

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 05, 2009, 06:37:52 PM
1) Spaghetti over fettucinis is right !
2) The telltale ring of dried parsley on the plate  ::).
3) You don't serve bread over pasta in the same plate - should have been done 20 mins before the main course  ;)

;D

That being said, I'd have eaten the plate lock, stock and parsley barrel   :D

Those of you who remember Sonic's previous photos of my cooking would also have noticed that the plate and placemat were not ours. And no wine in the picture.

jlaurson

Quote from: Harpo on November 04, 2009, 04:29:20 PM
What gave me away? Spaghetti instead of fettucine?

Go no further. I knew you'd be able to distinguish... so it could not be an error of judgement but a discrepancy between the depicted and the described.

Lethevich

A rhubarb yoghurt which looks unnervingly like horseradish. The strong taste also hints along those lines as well, which makes for a highly unpleasant experience. Add some pink dye, or anything... :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

val

I am going to eat, at lunch, a trout and salad. I hope it is not as old as the one of Schubert.

SonicMan46

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Richmond, VA - stayed at one of our favorite hotels, The Jefferson, and ate well for three days; all seafood for me w/ plenty of raw oysters, clams, lobsters, shrimp, & lump crab meat!

First night, the Bookbinder's Restaurant - started out w/ a baby arugula salad w/ a light home-made dressing.  Then we shared the Colossal Cold Seafood Sampler along w/ an extra half dozen oysters!  A huge platter is brought to your table and includes 1 1/4# Maine lobster (chilled), 6 huge shrimp, 6 cherry stone clams, 6 oysters, jumbo lump crabmeat, along w/ an assortment of sauces - absolutely superb.  We shared a wonderful cheese cake & some dessert Riesling wine.

Second night, the Hard Shell Restaurant - as the night before, we started out w/ shellfish, i.e. a dozen oysters (3 different types, including a favorite of ours, the Kumamoto from the Pacific northwest coast), half dozen clams, and steamed Dungeness crab legs; followed by another delightful mixed green salad (mixed field greens w/ sun dried cranberries, candied pecans, goat cheese, champagne vinaigrette).  We decided to both have one of the 'house specialties' - stuffed Maine lobster (½ Maine lobster, lump crab cake, potato croquette, asparagus, sorrel remoulade).  Dessert - a shared piece of wonderfully tart key lime pie!

Last day, we had the Sunday Champagne Brunch (11 AM reservation) at the Jefferson Hotel - the offerings are just amazingly broad (check HERE) for a list; I invariably stick w/ the seafood, so two plates (w/ a salad intermezzo) of oysters (YES, again!), clams, large shrimp, poached & smoked salmon, along w/ flutes of sparkling wine and some live jazz music.  Did not eat dinner that night - just shared a cheese plate!

So, if you might be in the Richmond area and love seafood, all the above are heartily recommended!

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on November 12, 2009, 06:30:59 AM
Just returned from a long weekend trip to Richmond, VA - stayed at one of our favorite hotels, The Jefferson, and ate well for three days; all seafood for me w/ plenty of raw oysters, clams, lobsters, shrimp, & lump crab meat!....

I always look forward to eating in Richmond, especially the shellfish, which we can't get in mid-NC. The Jefferson Hotel chauffeurs you to most restaurants--real luxury!

Joe Barron

Cauliflower, as a snack. Yum.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Amvend on November 17, 2009, 12:20:09 PM
Raw? (no dip)

Boy, raw cauliflower -  ;) ;D

There must be some more adventurous eating here than 'rabbit food' -  :D

Benji

Spicy ground pork fajitas, with raw peppers, some green salad, soured cream and plenty of grated vintage cheddar. Nice and simple.

Lilas Pastia

Today I had Mushroom Lasagna. I always use the 2-3 strips of leftover lasagna pastas for a wonderful side dish. Sauté oyster mushrooms (plenty) in butter, add finely chopped shallot, minced celery leaves (a little, you don't them want to overpower the mushrooms). I add strips of chicken meat leftovers.  Sprinkle with a little flour, deglaze with white wine,  add a cup of heavy cream. Say it gives 2 cups of rich sauce. Scoop the morsels and spread along the lasagna strip. Roll the garnished pasta and place in a small oven dish. Cover with the rest of the sauce and let bake for some 15 minutes. Yummy!

Harpo

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spice-Rubbed-Chicken-Breasts-with-Lemon-Shallot-Sauce-106642

Spiced chicken breast with lemon-shallot sauce. Many chicken breast recipes turn out dry, but this sauce moistens it well: allspice, wine, chicken broth, lemon juice, shallots. No photo was taken, and I won't dare to post a fake one. Well, maybe....

Drasko

Medlar is right now in season, and since its season is very short I'm trying to make the most of it.

karlhenning

A juicy & delicious Macoun apple

karlhenning

And a Gala.  Also delicious, but with fruitier tones than the Macoun.