What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 25, 2009, 08:41:35 AM
And a Gala.  Also delicious, but with fruitier tones than the Macoun.

The questions begs Karl.......How do you eat your apple?  :D

Harpo

http://www.deweys.com/favorites/moravian-cookies/

Moravian cookies!! Paper-thin, melt in your mouth. A speciality of the Moravians here in Winston-Salem NC. Ginger spice is classic and by far the best, though sugar and lemon are pretty good. They make a great holiday gift.

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Harpo

Thanksgiving at an Italian-style hotel in Chapel Hill. Among the dishes we had: pork ragout tagliatelle, rabbit lasagnette, shellfish cacciucco stew, osso bucco, bread pudding, chocolate semifreddo. Good food, but the hotel is pet-friendly. so some of our fellow guests barked all night.

Papageno

Brian

I had iskender kebab for lunch at the Istanbul Grill here in Houston. Very fine Turkish food indeed, one of my favorite places to get it. And the kind of lunch so satisfying that even now, three and a half hours later, I feel pleasantly full. And can still imagine its taste... :)

Benji

Quote from: Brian on November 29, 2009, 01:08:15 PM
I had iskender kebab for lunch at the Istanbul Grill here in Houston. Very fine Turkish food indeed, one of my favorite places to get it. And the kind of lunch so satisfying that even now, three and a half hours later, I feel pleasantly full. And can still imagine its taste... :)

What's on it?

Benji

I just ate a cheese and onion sandwich, with lots of onion. Regretting it already. Thankfully I am a singleton.

I think this smiley is the most appropriate:  :-X

Brahmsian

Nothing more annoying than eating an orange with seeds.  ::)

Benji

Quote from: Brahmsian on December 04, 2009, 09:30:19 AM
Nothing more annoying than eating an orange with seeds.  ::)

Maybe eat them separately?

MN Dave

True or false: Cooked food should be eaten at room temperature?

Benji

Quote from: MN Dave on December 11, 2009, 08:17:28 AM
True or false: Cooked food should be eaten at room temperature?

Not sure whether you mean the temperature of the food should be room temperature, or the person should be at room temperature when eating. Not that it matters scientifically... but incidentally my appetite is probably optimum at room temperature. I say false.

I think food that has already been cooked and is now cold should either be eaten cold (and asap) or heated to 'piping hot' temperature (i.e. enough to kill off any bacteria). Better to eat it cold than warm it to room temperature (21 degrees C) as bacteria multiply faster the warmer they are. I think something like 37.5-40 degrees is optimum temperature for biological reactions (enzyme-based ones), so that is probably the temperature bacteria will multipy fastest at (remembering your average bacterium can clone itself every 20 minutes, thus increasing their numbers exponentially at that rate). Better to re-heat the food to boiling or as close as you can get without spoiling it.

Or if you're asking whether food you've just cooked should be allowed to cool to room temperature before eating. Well, that is perfectly safe. For thai food especially it is better served warm than hot. :)

MN Dave

Quote from: Benji on December 11, 2009, 08:44:26 AM
Or if you're asking whether food you've just cooked should be allowed to cool to room temperature before eating. Well, that is perfectly safe. For thai food especially it is better served warm than hot. :)

This. I heard it has more flavor this way and that it's not necessarily healthy to eat hot food.

toledobass

Quote from: MN Dave on December 11, 2009, 08:59:38 AM
This. I heard it has more flavor this way and that it's not necessarily healthy to eat hot food.

Hot food?  or do you mean cooked food, Dave?

Allan

SonicMan46

Just returned from the Ft. Myers-Sanibel area on the west coast of southern Florida - had a few vacation days left for the year - had a great time - posted a few activities in the 'vacation thread'! -  :)

Eating was GREAT - all seafood w/ oysters every day as starters; also, some alligator & frog's legs!  But two of my favorite FL dishes shown below, i.e. stone crab claws & Florida/Caribbean lobster tail:

P.S. - no that's not me holding my lobster; in fact that is a huge one!  Unlike the Maine lobster, the claws offer no interest, at least to a human consumer!  ;D

SonicMan46

Well, sorry about being the last one to post here, but Susan (a.k.a. Harpo) and I just returned from a short Florida vacation and had plenty of seafood (as indicated just above!)  :).

So, tonight she prepared us a non-seafood dinner of quail w/ a simple veggie, peas (pic below); quail was sauteed simply w/ butter, onions & sherry (from an old recipe book her mother owned - some very reliable recipes in that book!).

The quail were just delicious - we had 3 each (these are small birds) - the meat is dark and gamy, including the breast, so different from chicken - nice w/ a light red wine - tonight I tried a new '07 Cab-Merlot blend from Australia from Greg Norman; made from grapes along the Limestone Coast (just $12 from our local grocery store - might buy a few more bottles, a year in the cellar will lessen the tannins!).

Great meal and good change of pace - I'm happy!  ;D

Brünnhilde ewig

This photo is from a few hours ago when I rescued a quail, which had run into a window. He was dazed, I held him against my heart for twenty minutes and when he recovered I gently put him into my Colorado Spruce, far away from people eager to have him for a meal.

Why not try a hamburger some day if you lust for animal meat!  >:D

toledobass

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on December 12, 2009, 07:53:57 PM

What?  That makes no sense.  So eating one animal is OK, but another is not?  Is it because you see where that beautiful quail comes from and you understand its life where the other meat you consume comes from the grocery, all conveniently butchered and prepackaged so you never have to think about what it is or where it came from.  Cattle are beautiful animals too.  So are pigs. and chickens etc etc.  Either you eat them all or you don't eat any.   

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on December 12, 2009, 07:53:57 PM
This photo is from a few hours ago when I rescued a quail, which had run into a window. He was dazed, I held him against my heart for twenty minutes and when he recovered I gently put him into my Colorado Spruce, far away from people eager to have him for a meal.

Lis - have not seen you posting here lately!  Welcome back & hope all is well w/ you -  :D

Well, I probably would have done the same if a 'little' bird collided w/ a window in my house; unfortunately, Susan bought our quail frozen (and w/o their heads), so I did not have that option -  ;) ;D

Allan - enjoyed your comment above - thanks! Dave  :)

Harpo

Quote from: toledobass on December 13, 2009, 06:30:16 AM
What?  That makes no sense.  So eating one animal is OK, but another is not?  Is it because you see where that beautiful quail comes from and you understand its life where the other meat you consume comes from the grocery, all conveniently butchered and prepackaged so you never have to think about what it is or where it came from.  Cattle are beautiful animals too.  So are pigs. and chickens etc etc.  Either you eat them all or you don't eat any.   

Allan

Good point!! Sonic and I are carnivores (and "aquivores") but we choose our meat based on amount of cholesterol and fat, not appearance.

When I buy live lobsters at the grocery store someone invariably says "Eww! You mean you KILL them?" I always point out that all of the meat and fish in the store has been killed, so it makes no difference if it's killed by me or by somebody else.  :)

secondwind

A friend of mine has the philosophy that she won't eat any animal she like to pet. . .