What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Quote from: Brahmsian on December 04, 2009, 09:30:19 AM
Nothing more annoying than eating an orange with seeds.  ::)

How about eating an orange with no juice??
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Lethevich

Food question: what do you do with a frikadelle (or frikadeller/frikadellen - Google isn't very helpful with the name)? I have a friend who makes them with chips, but I am so far unable to work out how they would be used - as a meatball (with sauce) or as a burger (with garnish)?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lilas Pastia

Home made doner pitas. Pork cubes slowly brought to a boil and left to simmer a few minutes. Rinsed with cold water, then finely sliced and fried in oil (I used coconut shortening) with home-made 'greek-style' spices. Garnish the pita bread with mucho tzatziki sauce, finely cut onion, tomato, lettuce, and meat. Very tasty.

This is pretty much like what I did, but I fried the onions. Served with french fries from Frites Alors,  picked on my way from the concert hall.

Quite similar to shawarma, except for the spices

karlhenning

Just mention of Frites Alors makes me want to come back for a visit, André!

Lilas Pastia

Karl, the bleu and pear burger is still on the menu ;).

My son had a craving, so while I waited for my order (fries with béarnaise, tartar and indonesian sauces) he indulged in a tunisian poutine (fried onions and merguez pieces added to the usual dish). I had a couple of bites. Have to admit it's just out of this world mega caloried stuff. The glory...!

Bogey

Last night:
SHRIMP TACOS
Hacienda street-style. Three corn tortillas loaded with grilled shrimp, chipotle aioli sauce and roasted poblano peppers. Topped with cool lime-marinated cabbage, pico de gallo, chipotle onions and a fresh lime cream sauce.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Everyone's been on a diet or hunger strike the past month?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Chicken breast and cream of celery rice.

Lethevich

I tried a mushroom burger yesterday (well - mushroom, potato, chickpea, onion and bread were the ingredients), my findings:

It tastes decent, I had to melt cheese on it to make it appetising enough to eat in a bun though (so dry!). I then ran into a major flaw with the concept of a "vegetable burger", which was that when thinking of things to add to the burger and bun to make it into an enjoyable meal (as a meat one would be) rather than just an 'okay' thing, I immediately started considering adding... meat - which would leave the veggie burger itself as a glorified bread slice in the middle.

If the bun thing really is a no go, then these things will just be completely pointless, as they can't be eaten with knives and forks either, as you may as well use real vegetables. I never thought such a simple piece of food would be so difficult :-*

toledobass

Here is some stuff I've made while I've been away. Fried Chicken, I cured some pancetta that came out well, and some chicken bouillalbaisse.  Get cooking/eating folks!!!!

Allan

jlaurson

Quote from: toledobass on January 25, 2010, 12:36:06 PM
Here is some stuff I've made while I've been away. Fried Chicken, I cured some pancetta that came out well, and some chicken bouillalbaisse.  Get cooking/eating folks!!!!

Allan

I want to move in with you, now.

zorzynek

I just ate some sushi. Not sure if my fatty liver can bare the ginger but I guess I don't care. (I'm going to take one  extra pill in this intention)

jlaurson

Newly invigorated by a recent date (of sorts), I've sprung back into cooking action (even if only for myself):

Winter Salad over sautéed pumpkin and hot tomatoes
with pork tenderloin, lemon zested, au jus.

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on January 26, 2010, 10:13:53 AM
Newly invigorated by a recent date (of sorts), I've sprung back into cooking action (even if only for myself):

Winter Salad over sautéed pumpkin and hot tomatoes
with pork tenderloin, lemon zested, au jus.

MN Dave

Is that after you ate it?  ???

;D

jlaurson

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 26, 2010, 10:17:27 AM
Is that after you ate it?  ???
;D

Is that a quantity joke--or are you suggesting the presentation looks like sh*t?

MN Dave

Quote from: jlaurson on January 26, 2010, 10:20:06 AM
Is that a quantity joke--or are you suggesting the presentation looks like sh*t?

Quantity, quantity...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe on December 19, 2009, 10:06:40 AM
Food question: what do you do with a frikadelle (or frikadeller/frikadellen - Google isn't very helpful with the name)? I have a friend who makes them with chips, but I am so far unable to work out how they would be used - as a meatball (with sauce) or as a burger (with garnish)?

Frikadelle (pl. Frikadellen). The meat is half ground pork, half ground beef. Add chopped onions, one egg and some old bread that's been soaked in water and fry. I've never eaten it with a sauce, or seen a sauce offered. They are usually served with a potato salad or Pommes (french fries or chips). They can be served on a Brötchen (hard roll) like a burger but they usually aren't. Mustard is the only condiment I've seen used.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lilas Pastia

Frikadelle is a german meal, fricadelle a french or belgian one. I must say after researching the subject that the german version:

looks much better than the gallic version:

Sarge's description applies to the 'kraut' dish. It is usually served with beets and either brown gravy or yogurt. The other one is found in just about every 'baraque à frites' in northern France or Belgium. I've seen it served throughout the belgian Ardennes. Basically, it's a deep fried hot dog sausage and it tastes like one.

My MIL used to make the german kind, but my wife always snacks on the belgian version.

Lethevich

Thanks, it seems like I have the green light to just make them with chips and claim to be authentic :D Also, I realise a tactic I can now use:

Friend: "What did you eat today?"

Me: "Burger and chips frikadelle and pommes"

It sounds far healthier.