What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2010, 02:14:25 PM

I dislike capers but give me anything with a lemon sauce and I'm one happy camper.

Except capers in lemon sauce?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 04, 2010, 02:29:22 PM
Except capers in lemon sauce?

Yes, with that exception: capers in lemon sauce I cannont abide.

However, I am rather fond of capers, capers, capers, spam and lemon sauce.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2010, 02:14:25 PM
I rode in my youth. Nearly every horse I knew tried to kill me, either inadvertently (my first horse--rode her every week my first quarter at Ohio U--was incredibly clumsy, always tripping  ;D ) or on purpose. I recall a very bad tempered stallion I rode in Amish country that repeatedly tried to throw me. The first time my wife rode him, she couldn't control him; he bolted, galloped into town and ran several red lights with her hanging on for dear life. She survived but barely. Anyway, I will have no trouble eating horse  :D

I dislike capers but give me anything with a lemon sauce and I'm one happy camper.

Sarge - yep, a BAD horse experience can't be compared to a 'bad hair' day!  ;D  So far, we've been lucky w/ the ponies - just had one that I was on who decided to spontaneous break out in gallops, just short ones - not a problem but you had to be ready to hold on!

Susan is the same, i.e. loves lemon & hates capers - she never orders that veal piccata; OTOH, Susan's sister was here a few months ago and we took her to the Italian bistro - she ordered the veal piccata (along w/ me, as usual) and loved the extra load of capers!  Guess that humans are lucky to be omnivorous, adventuresome, and clever about what we put into our mouths -  ;) ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on June 05, 2010, 05:44:42 AM
Susan is the same, i.e. loves lemon & hates capers

Funny, it's just the opposite in our house: Mrs. Rock will even open a jar of capers and eat them like popcorn. She loves em.

QuoteGuess that humans are lucky to be omnivorous, adventuresome, and clever about what we put into our mouths -  ;) ;D

I often wonder just who it was that first tried to eat certain objects we now take for granted ;D  Who dared eat the first raw oyster? Who persevered to the heart of the artichoke? Who saw a nest made of bird spit and thought: that would make a damn fine soup!  :D

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan on June 05, 2010, 05:44:42 AM

Susan is the same, i.e. loves lemon & hates capers - she never orders that veal piccata; OTOH, Susan's sister was here a few months ago and we took her to the Italian bistro - she ordered the veal piccata (along w/ me, as usual) and loved the extra load of capers!  Guess that humans are lucky to be omnivorous, adventuresome, and clever about what we put into our mouths -  ;) ;D

When I was younger, I never really 'understood' capers; I lumped them in the "WHY, WHY?" category of foods, along with anchovies. In fact, if you had asked me, I might have thought that they were kind of the same... no thinking to distinguish between a blossom and a little fish.

Anchovies I've made peace with earlier--or rather: started actively appreciating them earlier. Capers I never bought--though I did start eating them without any qualms--until, interestingly enough, about a week ago; just a few days before this caper-conversation. Bought some more today ("Capucine" size, to honor that gorgeous actress in that horrible film about Liszt), along with caper-berries. [My goal is in any case not to not eat anything that is reasonably fit for human consumption and considered a delicacy by anyone (with a trustworthy palate).

Today it'll be Couscous with yoghurt-lime sauce and capers, lots of cucumber and parsley, red peppers and a few onions. Oh, and lots of garlic, because I have no meetings on my agenda, just translation-work.

toledobass

I made macapuno ice cream!!!!!  next up is avocado...

Allan

bhodges

I had to look that up--sounds delicious! 

--Bruce

toledobass

Soooo good Bruce.  I know there are some Filipino joints in NYC.  Worth the search for one of the best ice cream flavors ever.  Also have you ever tried halo-halo?  Macapuno is a featured item in that refreshing dessert, too.  Also, I just sent you a FB message.  ;D

Peace,
A

bhodges

I will seek that out!  (And I have some pals at Time Out whom I know will be able to point me in the right direction.)  Haven't tried halo-halo, but I *have* heard of it.

--Bruce

toledobass

An OG breakfast sandwich-bacon, egg, Jack cheese w/sriracha mayo on an English muffin.....and a bowl of mixed berries on the side...

I think I need a nap now,

A

Brahmsian

Bought regular ground beef (as opposed to lean ground beef) to make burgers on the BBQ.

Oh I know, it's not as healthy......but oh boy does it make the tastiest burgers!   :P  However, with the fat content, you almost have to call the fire department and have them on stand by while you are cooking, as they certainly create a lot of flames and smoke on the BBQ!  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on July 03, 2010, 04:34:40 PM
Bought regular ground beef (as opposed to lean ground beef) to make burgers on the BBQ.

Oh I know, it's not as healthy......but oh boy does it make the tastiest burgers!   :P  However, with the fat content, you almost have to call the fire department and have them on stand by while you are cooking, as they certainly create a lot of flames and smoke on the BBQ!  :D

Hi Ray - Susan made some bison filet mignon tonight w/ some veggies - we order bison (a.k.a. buffalo) on the internet (usually comes from the Dakota area or adjacent states so just south of you!) - still enjoy my red wine so have to find a red meat that is low in fat/cholesterol - bison is perfect; however, bison 'hamburger' has to pretty much cooked medium rare (just no FAT to compensate) - enjoy!  Dave  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan on July 03, 2010, 05:39:39 PM
Hi Ray - Susan made some bison filet mignon tonight w/ some veggies - we order bison (a.k.a. buffalo) on the internet (usually comes from the Dakota area or adjacent states so just south of you!) - still enjoy my red wine so have to find a red meat that is low in fat/cholesterol - bison is perfect; however, bison 'hamburger' has to pretty much cooked medium rare (just no FAT to compensate) - enjoy!  Dave  ;D

Dave, bison meat is so good!  It is an excellent substitute for beef (albeit pricier), but much lower in fat.

A restaurant a few blocks from us serves the best bison sausage for breakfast.  Absolutely the tastiest thing!

I've never had a bison filet mignon, but I can imagine it to be very delicious!

Dave, have you ever tried moose meat?  Also low and fat, and not as 'gamey' tasting as deer meat.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brahmsian on July 03, 2010, 06:11:48 PM

.....I've never had a bison filet mignon, but I can imagine it to be very delicious!

Dave, have you ever tried moose meat?  Also low and fat, and not as 'gamey' tasting as deer meat.

Hi Ray - well, I would suggest giving the bison filet mignon a try - but order 'medium rare' -  :D

Now I eat a LOT of venison, and have had elk, caribu, and several other hoofed beasts of the field, but never have tried moose - however, if on a menu I would consider an order!

On our last visit to Canada a few years ago, i.e. Quebec, our plane was late into Quebec City and our first night was way up the St. Lawrence River at La Malbaie - thought I'd have a pleasant drive in the light of day!  Well, night had fallen and I keep seeing those moose signs in the headlights!  The rental car would have been a goner, but maybe some moose meat for us?  ;D  Dave

karlhenning

In honor of two recent threads, cereal (oaty O's) with (non-degenerated) banana.

Brahmsian

Peanut butter sandwiches.  I have a weakness for peanut butter.  I can eat it by the spoonful!  :D

Sergeant Rock

Went to a new Greek restaurant tonight. Started with the usual mixed appetizers (cheese, peppers, tomatoes, stuffed grape leaves, olives). Main course: grilled lamb cutlets, green beans and fried potatoes (sprinkled with cheese). Drank a bottle of 2006 Amethystos from the Costa Lazaridis Winery: a cuvée made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Limnio (a Greek varietal that's been cultivated for millennia); aged in French oak. Ouzo to finish off the meal.

Sarge

Saul

Georgian stuffed grape leaves with sour Plum Souce.

One of the most delicious Georgian dishes.

They are stuffed with ground beef and rice, fresh time, garlic and onion.

Togheter with the extremly unique Georgian wine called Kindzmaruli, I have yet to taste a better wine.

SonicMan46

Saul & Sarge - sounds like some great EATS!  :D

Love stuffed grape leaves but rarely can get them - the yearly Greek Festival here is an option and the small Greek restaurants - as to Georgian wines, I've never had the experience despite my interest in vino!

The grapes in the eastern Mediterranean area (and in the Balkans & Georgia - plus adjacent countries) are so diverse and ancient, and likely ancestors to some of the present better know European varietals (even the Californian grape, Zinfandel, has been linked to a Balkan original, which may have come from an older varietal further east?).

Interestingly in Hugh Johnson's History of Wine which I owned on VHS years ago started out his series w/ the wines of Georgia and stated that wine may have originated in the Caucasus Mountains of the region!  Now, fermentation of grapes is a pretty natural process, so I assume that 'humans' discovered this beverage accidentally many thousands of years ago, but that part of the world is certainly a top contender!  Dave  ;D

karlhenning