What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benji

Quote from: Conor71 on September 24, 2010, 04:45:17 PM
The one I miss the most is Yorkie! - There is a chunky plain Cadbury's bar thats kind of like here though :D.

It's not for girls!  ;D

SonicMan46

One of my favorites tonight - sauteed lump crab meat (produced locally in Elizabeth City, NC) w/ some soft snap peas and a local wine, Viognier from Laurel Gray Winery, 45 mins west of Winston Salem - quite tasty!  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Benji on September 14, 2010, 08:07:18 AM
I saw a recipe for this - it was called 'Beer Butt Chicken' which makes me giggle each time I see it.  :P

Yes, Beer Butt Chicken...lol. The name is so juvenile, but it is so tasty! :D

Mirror Image

Homemade chicken noodle soup for me tonight with some grilled cheese sandwiches and sweet tea to drink.

Benji

I've been eating America sweets (...candy!)

They're all rather odd by my British tastes.

There was a chick-o-stick, which is some kind of wood-like coating surrounding a nutty bit in the middle. Nothing to do with chicken despite the name.

Then a Mary Jane IIRC, which was toffee, again with nuts in the middle I think.

Laffy taffee, which is some kind of sticky joke because you can't remove the wrapper and that leads me to guess you're either supposed to eat the wrapper or the whole wee package is inedible. Humorous. Not.

And finally, I forget the name...something wafers. Basically small thin coin sized pieces of tooth-defying siltstone flavoured with Victorian-age medicine (cough syrup?!)

Yum.

Brahmsian

Homemade perogies!  Quite an arduous, painstaking process.  ???  Very delicious though.  Made some with potato, cheese, salt, garlic and pepper, and some with a mixture of sauerkraut and potato.   :P

SonicMan46

Well, Susan (a.k.a. Harpo) & I have been in San Antonio since Saturday - our last 'full' day here tomorrow on Wednesday - we've been eating quite WELL!  Some of the early meals discussed in the 'Vacation Thread' HERE - take a look, if interested - and especially if you're planning a trip to this historic TX city!  :D

Today, we did a half day tour to the San Antonio Missions (including the Alamo) - we were dropped off at the market (a.k.a. Mercado) - did some shopping & purchases - ate lunch there at the La Margarita Mexican Restuarant & Oyster Bar - we ended up sharing 3 dishes (wanted to eat light): Dozen Gulf Coast oysters on the half shell (delicious), ceviche (wonderfully limey), and a shrimp quesadilla (just excellent w/ grilled shrimp inside) - the chips & salsa were excellent; drinks - Susan had a red wine sangria & I some Dos Equis on draft; ended w/ an outstanding flan and some great coffees! Won't have a chance to go back but will keep on my restaurant list if we return -   ;D

Tonight, dined at Boudro's - quite crowded and noisy indicating poupularity - change of pace from the usual Riverwalk eating places.  Susan started w/ a good excellent salad and I w/ seared rare tuna; we both had the Texas quail - stuffed w/ a wonderful combo of ingredients w/ roasted potatoes & veggies - skipped dessert so cannot comment (one shared a day is now our rule-  ;)).

So, a productive day of TX history, shopping, and eating - one more full day tomorrow -  :)

DavidW

Fantastic Dave! :)  Hey guess what?  Today I was a reading novel about zombies in San Antonio.  Just saying Dave, if the locals start lumbering... aim for the head. ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on October 19, 2010, 07:46:40 PM
Fantastic Dave! :)  Hey guess what?  Today I was a reading novel about zombies in San Antonio.  Just saying Dave, if the locals start lumbering... aim for the head. ;D

Hi David - none yet but we will be on the WATCH!  ;D

We did see a lot of Mexican 'voodoo' or 'dead' art - skeleton people, animals, etc. @ the Mercado yesterday - although we have been collecting art for 40 yrs, this genre is not part of our eclectic collection, but I have a fellow colleague who has a bedroom decorated with art devoted to this topic (and others involving the dead & all souls day) - quite spooky but one of his sons on returning home loves to sleep in that room -  :D

DavidW

You're like wow the recession has really hit some places worse than others.  They can't afford to eat, they're nothing but bones! ;D

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on October 20, 2010, 05:06:05 AM
You're like wow the recession has really hit some places worse than others.  They can't afford to eat, they're nothing but bones! ;D

It's like the Mr and Mrs Skeletor family album.  :P

And is that mini Frida in the corner?!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Benji on October 20, 2010, 05:11:37 AM
It's like the Mr and Mrs Skeletor family album.  :P

And is that mini Frida in the corner?!

Benji - yep that looks like Frida Kahlo in the corner; in addition to her own many portraits, there seems to me a lot of portraits of her concerning the 'Day of the Dead' - I'm sure many more can be found, and we also saw a lot of this art including many Frida works w/ this theme -  :D

SonicMan46

Well, our last day in San Antonio was full and included some GOOD eating!  :D

We first visited the Institute of Texas Cultures - gem in the AAA guide and excellent - just spent 2 hrs there but could easily have double that time but we were getting hungry!

So, took the elevator to the top of the Tower of the Americas (my own pic attached) - about 750 ft in the air - the Chart House restaurant was located there which revolved (probably about an hour per revolution giving superb panoramic views of San Antonio and environs including the Hill Country) - we ate light - started w/ the Pear & Saga Salad (Baby greens, red onions, Bosc pears, tomatoes, Saga blue cheese & glazed pecans) - then shared 3 appetizers:  Crab, Avocado and Mango Stack (Jumbo lump crab meat tossed in rĂ©moulade, layered with avocado & mango), East Meets West Tuna Zesty tuna tartare drizzled with wasabi cream paired with seared peppered tuna & avocado, with kim chee slaw & plantain chips), and Seafood Rolls (wrapped w/ shrimp & crab + veggies) served cold; couple of glasses of Sauvignon Blanc for me and a mojito for Susan!

Then some shopping (and purchases) in La Villita - for dinner we tried Acenar - modern Tex-Mex place on a less traveled area of the Riverwalk; the chips & salsa were superb; we both had a nice ceviche as starters (lot of lime, onions, et al); Susan had a roasted chicken - my dish was Cabrito en Chile Ancho (i.e. Baby Goat - young Texas goat steam-roasted served with ancho salsa ranchera, Mexican rice & refried beans); my FIRST GOAT experience (I seem to be attracted to 'baby' animals, like veal) - pretty much like an Osso Bucco using veal - very tender just falling off the bone w/ a nice tomato based preparation; the beans & rice were excellent (I'm not a big fan of this combo but this place did a great job)!  :)

Brian

;D

(Glad you got to see La Villita too, a cute place to shop (for Harpo more so maybe  ;) ).)

MN Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on October 21, 2010, 12:24:54 AM
;D

(Glad you got to see La Villita too, a cute place to shop (for Harpo more so maybe  ;) ).)

Brian - yes Harpo did 'clean-up' in San Antonio:  1) Sterling silver w/ multi-stones earrings in Fredericksburg; 2) Mexican blouses, jewelry, and a beautifully made leather back pack @ the Mercado; 3) Several of the usual souvenir T-shirts; and 4) Multi-assembly sculpture like the one below in La Villita by Pam Ameduri - comes w/ the stand shown or can be hung from a wall (about 10-12" tall) - really for the both of us -  ;)  Dave

Sergeant Rock

I'm having such a weird lunch I thought I'd revive this thread: wholly vegetarian from leftovers from Tuesday and Wednesday night's meals: brussel sprouts, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. Oddly good  ;D  Washing it down with an Alsatian beer, Licorne Elsass.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Toonces

Leftover bean salad.  Kidney, pinto, and black beans along with corn, chopped red peppers, onions, avocado, lots of chopped cilantro and lime juice.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Toonces on November 15, 2010, 01:20:16 PM
Leftover bean salad.  Kidney, pinto, and black beans along with corn, chopped red peppers, onions, avocado, lots of chopped cilantro and lime juice.

Toonces - welcome to the forum and to this thread - post anything here from a breakfast item to a delicious expensive dinner - all who visit this thread must love to eat!

Don't want to admit it to my pals here, but this morning I was driving back from our 4-day trip on the North Carolina shore (Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington) - we left early and my wife was hungry, plus I needed gas - so stopped and had an Egg McMuffin w/ coffee - I usually do not eat at these 'fast food' chains, but at the moment, it was a nice filling snack until dinner time!   ;D