What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

We still had truffles left so Mrs. Rock sliced them thin and stuffed them under the skin of a whole chicken. The resulting roasted bird was magnificent, as was the gravy from the drippings. Plain basmati rice and a green salad. Drank Frei Brothers Dry Creek Valley reserve merlot...which I thought a bit heavy for the meal but Mrs. Rock loved it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2010, 04:52:51 AM
We still had truffles left so Mrs. Rock sliced them thin and stuffed them under the skin of a whole chicken. The resulting roasted bird was magnificent, as was the gravy from the drippings. Plain basmati rice and a green salad. Drank Frei Brothers Dry Creek Valley reserve merlot...which I thought a bit heavy for the meal but Mrs. Rock loved it.

Sarge

What was the dressing for the salad....this is key for such a meal.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

CLIF All Natural Crunch Granola Bar...and Diet Coke.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 20, 2010, 05:09:53 AM
What was the dressing for the salad....this is key for such a meal.

Mrs. Rock invented the dressing. It's the second time we've tried it. She says the key is the type of dried tomatoes she used. From a jar of dried tomatoes in oil (bought from AldiSud), she sliced several superfine, crushed one clove of garlic, added a tablespoon of oil from the jar, a tablespoon of unsweetened Turkish grenadine syrup, then olive oil and balsamico vinegar. Tasted great and went very well with the chicken.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: abidoful on December 19, 2010, 09:45:04 AM
I'm a bachelor and I like to eat well, but I was sooooo disappointed yesterday when I couldn't find mussels from the nearest supermarket. All they have is like 15 different kind of Tuna cans but no mussels...;( It's different to live in downtown Helsinki--This is someways so miserable little town. The girl who worked at the groceries was sort of cute though; "mussels...? That's kind of EXOTIC". You know what Berlusconi said...

I feel your pain. Anything fresh and "exotic" --and that includes mussels and scallops (coquille st jacques)--is very hard to come by in our area of Germany. My sister-in-law lives in Bremen (a five hour drive from us). I'm so envious of the seafood shops in that city.

Sarge

karlhenning

First I knew there was any such thing as unsweetened Grenadine. Cherish your Mrs Rock, Sarge!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 20, 2010, 05:51:47 AM
First I knew there was any such thing as unsweetened Grenadine. Cherish your Mrs Rock, Sarge!

Yes, when I called her for the recipe, she specified it must be unsweetened...and from our local Turkish shop  :D

Sarge

SonicMan46

Sarge - that chicken sounds (i.e. tastes more likely) outstanding!  Susan will put different herbs, etc. underneath the skin of foul - really a new taste experience for those who have not given the method a try!  :D

For an after dinner suggestion - this time of the year, we are into Moravian Ginger Cookies - just wafer thin w/ an overpowering flavor of spice/ginger and some heat on the tongue - the saying that you 'can't eat just one' does not apply, better still is you can't just eat a dozen or a whole tin -  :P

For those in the USA (postage considerations), an excellent example is made by the Salem Baking Co. - if interested, check their website in the link for prices & shipping - now I've seen these in other cities and on other online catalogs, so might be available in your town?

But an Old Salem tradition in Winston-Salem, and BTW the Moravians made many more tasty items as the website above shows - enjoy the holidays!   :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2010, 06:01:04 AM
Yes, when I called her for the recipe, she specified it must be unsweetened...and from our local Turkish shop  :D

One of the benefits of a rich immigrant population!

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2010, 05:29:52 AM
Mrs. Rock invented the dressing. It's the second time we've tried it. Recreating it might be difficult though. She says the key is the type of dried tomatoes she used. From a jar of dried tomatoes in oil (bought from AldiSud), she sliced several superfine, crushed one clove of garlic, added a tablespoon of oil from the jar, a tablespoon of unsweetened Turkish grenadine syrup, then olive oil and balsamico vinegar. Tasted great and went very well with the chicken.

Sarge

Yumm!  My wife and I are balsamic vinegar snobs fans, to the point that we enjoy it on EVERYTHING (we have not tried it on vanilla ice cream, but we would probably enjoy it on that as well ;D).  Here are two we roll out, the first is a glaze and the second the real deal:

and for the special salads:

http://www.giusti.it/eng/index.htm

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on December 20, 2010, 06:07:23 AM
For an after dinner suggestion - this time of the year, we are into Moravian Ginger Cookies - just wafer thin w/ an overpowering flavor of spice/ginger and some heat on the tongue

Mrs. Rock's mother still bakes traditional cookies for Christmas. Her ginger cookies are outstanding.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 20, 2010, 06:08:55 AM
One of the benefits of a rich immigrant population!

Indeed! It's a great place to buy fresh fruit and veggies too....very high quality.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on December 20, 2010, 06:10:06 AM
Yumm!  My wife and I are balsamic vinegar snobs fans, to the point that we enjoy it on EVERYTHING (we have not tried it on vanilla ice cream, but we would probably enjoy it on that as well ;D).  Here are two we roll out, the first is a glaze and the second the real deal:

Vanilla!! Well, there's your main problem! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Quote from: ukrneal on December 20, 2010, 06:27:06 AM
Vanilla!! Well, there's your main problem! :)

Ah.  The simple pleasures in life.  When done right, nothing better. :)

greg

Ken's Winghouse in Altamonte, FL...

the spiciest wings there. My favorite food, possibly, plus the more spicy, the better. I like it to be to the point where it is physically painful.  :)

Bogey

As per the wine thread:

Prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, complimented by garlic mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil and fresh garlic.  Chose this wine (2009) to go with the meal.  Just my wife and I will be drinking it, but we are most pleased with very modest sweet and dry finish.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2010, 05:56:08 PM
As per the wine thread:

Prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, complimented by garlic mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil and fresh garlic.  Chose this wine (2009) to go with the meal.  Just my wife and I will be drinking it, but we are most pleased with very modest sweet and dry finish.

Sounds like a wonderful dinner, Bill. We're celebrating all three days of Christmas at the in-laws. Mrs. Rock's mother is a great cook. Christmas Eve we had turkey, yesterday braised venison, and today will be leg of lamb. After that I'll need a week of vegetarian eating to clean my system  :D

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 26, 2010, 02:50:09 AM
Sounds like a wonderful dinner, Bill. We're celebrating all three days of Christmas at the in-laws. Mrs. Rock's mother is a great cook. Christmas Eve we had turkey, yesterday braised venison, and today will be leg of lamb. After that I'll need a week of vegetarian eating to clean my system  :D

Sarge

I hear you good brother.  Ham today with my folks, then we have guests for four days, so by Jan. 2, I will need a serious oil change. ;D

SonicMan46

Christmas dinner at home this year - Susan roasted a pheasant w/ wild rice stuffing, a veggie, and some sparkling wine - delicious bird (kind of like a small turkey regarding taste/flavors of the breast & legs) -  :D

jlaurson

Plans for chestnut soup were frustrated by early closing times of stores on the 24th... so I ended up with pork tenderloins a red wine reduction and in a heap of mushrooms and chestnuts. Not bad... but the color was far too uniform to impress...  Not failure outright, since it tasted OK, but sad. My heart wasn't in it, I suppose, cooking for myself.

Along with a cheap Italian Wine that is surprisingly good at pretending to be a big-grape kind of wine...
One of the few where the result isn't completely embarrassing.

Ca de Rocchi Ripasso Monterè 2008 Valpolicella

Chestnut soup until postponed tomorrow, in delightful company... a better wine and, just to show what kind of a class act I am, a screening of "Caligula" (uncut) to someone with but a faint idea of what that film contains. (Hey, it's Helen Mirren and Peter O'Tool... it's *art*!)