What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2011, 07:04:34 AM
Boy, I can't imagine not posting here for nearly a month!  :o

We just returned from a trip to the tip of Long Island (Montauk - further east than the Hamptons) to see Susan's mother who is now 90 y/o!

For 4 days, my diet consisted of Oysters & Clams on the half shell, Lobster Rolls, & Steamed Lobsters - one of the best 'lobster rolls' looked like the one below w/ plenty of chunks of meat, including whole claws!  We took a day trip and drove to the North Fork (where virtually all of the LI wineries are located - will report later in the wine thread) - quaint villages & some excellent wines - ate lunch at a little place in Mattituck -  :D

Dave,
Posting that without sending me a sample may have just cost you your Bach set! ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on May 12, 2011, 08:30:50 PM
Dave,
Posting that without sending me a sample may have just cost you your Bach set! ;D

Bill - only wish those would ship well, myself!  We are doing a short trip to the New England coastal area this fall, so will get another chance for the same food!  ;D  Dave

toledobass

Had some terrific yakitori in NYC.  Cold beer and grilled chicken parts on a stick?  Yes please! 
Also had a very nice brunch, complete with lobster Mac and cheese, with the good company of GMG's very own Bruce Hodges, aka, brewski. 

karlhenning

Quote from: toledobass on May 13, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
Had some terrific yakitori in NYC.  Cold beer and grilled chicken parts on a stick?  Yes please! 
Also had a very nice brunch, complete with lobster Mac and cheese, with the good company of GMG's very own Bruce Hodges, aka, brewski. 

Wish I'd been there with you gents!

Mn Dave

Mn Dave

SonicMan46

Tonight, ate in w/ Harpo's help!  ;D

Bison Filet Mignon (medium rare) w/ nice sauteed veggies and an Oregon Pinot Noir - excellent!   :P

PROBLEM - trying to use my new iPad2 to do the same as an 'on the road' laptop - pic below was taken w/ the iPad - crappy camera w/ poor resolution; had some apps that allowed me to crop & upload to my SmugMug account, but then could not figure out how to get the right URL of the image to paste into a post here - so now on my regular laptop - will continue to try -  :)

Bogey

On Sunday had guests and made some BBQ chicken which had a sauce spiked with balsamic.  Home made potato salad (the pink is thick sliced bacon) and baked beans set up the sides nicely.

PS Glad I gave that Syrah another try, Dave, as this was a wonderful addition to the dinner at a very nice price point!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Bill - that looks great!  Assume that the Syrah was from France?  Still need to give the Shiraz from Australia (same grape) some more chances (and try a number) - I'm sure you will enjoy as a 'red wine' drinker!

Susan & I are on a short 'Anniversary Trip' (No. 41) to Virginia - 3 nights at the Homestead w/ some wonderful meals and a short interlude to breakup the drive home in Roanoke, VA at the Hotel Roanoke - pics below - both very historic VA resorts - would take me several posts to describe our food, but we had a great time and outstanding meals at both places!  Dave  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on July 12, 2011, 01:11:31 PM
On Sunday had guests and made some BBQ chicken which had a sauce spiked with balsamic.  Home made potato salad (the pink is thick sliced bacon) and baked beans set up the sides nicely.

Wow...that looks sensational, Bill. How about sharing the recipes for the potato salad and beans?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 14, 2011, 02:42:18 AM
Wow...that looks sensational, Bill. How about sharing the recipes for the potato salad and beans?

Sarge

The potato salad is of the simplest form.  I will have Linda post it here.  The beans are a different matter.....they can take many hours to cook.  I will have her post both. :)

Bogey

Dave,
What are the Jefferson Pools on the ground and how much of the resort structure was built in the 1700's?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on July 14, 2011, 06:33:58 AM
Dave,
What are the Jefferson Pools on the ground and how much of the resort structure was built in the 1700's?

Hi Bill - I think the history is rather murky back in those days - the Homestead is stated to have been established in 1766 (i.e. pre-Revolution!); however, much of it was built decades if not a century or more after that time, such as the famous bathhouse (now the 'indoor' pool) - there is a President's Bar w/ portraits of our presidents who have either been in the area (earlier ones such as George, Tom, & Jim Madison) and later ones who likely stayed at the place - however, no pics of the Bushes or Obama.

Now Thomas Jefferson (and his father) own a LOT of property in the area included the Natural Bridge just south of Lexington, VA - how much more he owned, I don't know - the Jefferson Pools refered to above were likely near but probably not the natural springs that feed the indoor pool at the Homestead - I've not read the detailed history of the place, but its beginnings certainly go back centuries into our history.  But despite the ambiguities, the beauty of the area is beyond belief - Dave :)

Bogey

Thanks, Dave!

Another night of chicken on the grill....this time with a Dijon glaze.  The side was grilled Yukon gold potatoes, zucchini, and the secret ingredient, shallots all coated in olive oil and fresh ground pepper and coarse sea salt.  The wine is from Argentina and was quite tasty and had a wonderful finish....crisp, clean, nice flower aroma, and not sweet at all.   

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on July 14, 2011, 06:25:36 AM
The potato salad is of the simplest form.  I will have Linda post it here.  The beans are a different matter.....they can take many hours to cook.  I will have her post both. :)

Thank you. Looking forward to trying the recipes.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock has been experimenting with marinara sauce, making it from scratch with fresh tomatoes. So far, so good...really good  8)

Last night we had fried Zander (pike-perch) with a side of spaghetti in her homemade sauce. We drank a Reuilly, a sauvignon blanc from the village on the Cher, a tributary of the Loire. More rustic and acidic than the better known Loire wines Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumé, I enjoyed it. It was powerful enough to stand up to the sauce. Left click for full size picture.

Sarge

Bogey

Tell Mrs. Rock that our kitchen lab is always open for her to use when you are stateside! ;D

Tonight, back to the grill for blue cheese hamburgers:

First, you NEED to have the 80% lean....you go too lean and you find that it tastes like....well, it has no taste! ;D

Next, split your patty in two and spread the blue cheese that is mixed with cream cheese at a 50-50 mix (Philly....YO!)

Here it is topped with tomato, avocado, purple onion and ground black pepper.  Leave the condiments in the fridge as the cheese filling is enough for flavoring.

Cut in half, as a gal on the web said that the burger can explode when you take the first bite. 8)

The recipe came from the web....it was excellent!

bhodges

That looks totally delicious. I had a blue cheese hamburger about a week ago, but at a restaurant - good, but not nearly as enticing as these photos.  8)

--Bruce

bhodges

Quote from: Bogey on July 14, 2011, 07:07:47 PM
Another night of chicken on the grill....this time with a Dijon glaze.  The side was grilled Yukon gold potatoes, zucchini, and the secret ingredient, shallots all coated in olive oil and fresh ground pepper and coarse sea salt.  The wine is from Argentina and was quite tasty and had a wonderful finish....crisp, clean, nice flower aroma, and not sweet at all.   

Oh my...I haven't checked this thread in quite awhile, and clearly am missing all the summer fun.  8) The potatoes, zucchini and shallots sound especially enticing...

--Bruce