What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Well, today (Apr 19) is my BD!  :-\  ;D

Susan & I are now the same age (I have only 3 months to say that she 'robbed the cradle') -  ;) :D

Tonight, I asked her to prepare me a meal w/ some bird, i.e. pheasant or quail, she chose the latter; so my plate shown below:

Quail - simply sauteed w/ oil, onions, sherry (plus salt & pepper to taste) - really allows one to enjoy the taste of the little bird!
Quinoa - cooked w/ mushrooms & scallions - an interesting South American 'grain' popular in the Inca civilization - check HERE, if interested?
Peas - frozen and simply cooked; nothing special but a veggie that I've enjoyed since childhood -  :)

Sparkling wine for both of us but different - I had the Mumm from CA - Cuvee M - brut and delicious (a Pinot Noir would have been fine w/ me, also)!

Of course for this occasion, we had to use our special Laguiole knives - just so elegant (and effective) - ENJOYED!   Dave

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 19, 2012, 05:39:44 PM

Susan & I are now the same age (I have only 3 months to say that she 'robbed the cradle') -  ;) :D

Tonight, I asked her to prepare me a meal w/ some bird, i.e. pheasant or quail, she chose the latter; so my plate shown below:

Quail - simply sauteed w/ oil, onions, sherry (plus salt & pepper to taste) - really allows one to enjoy the taste of the little bird!
Quinoa - cooked w/ mushrooms & scallions - an interesting South American 'grain' popular in the Inca civilization - check HERE, if interested?
Peas - frozen and simply cooked; nothing special but a veggie that I've enjoyed since childhood -  :)

Sparkling wine for both of us but different - I had the Mumm from CA - Cuvee M - brut and delicious (a Pinot Noir would have been fine w/ me, also)!

Of course for this occasion, we had to use our special Laguiole knives - just so elegant (and effective) - ENJOYED!   Dave

Happy birthday, Dave!

That looks delicious. You're a lucky man, girls like yours aren't made anymore. 

:)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 19, 2012, 05:39:44 PM

Happy birthday, Dave!  Hope you and Susan enjoyed your day!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Happy Birthday, Dave! Your dinner reminds me that it's been quite awhile since we last had quail. I know what I'll be shopping for this weekend.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Thanks Guys for the BD greetings! :)

The dinner was excellent and the quail outstanding w/ that simple recipe which Susan has used for years!  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 20, 2012, 02:06:37 PM
Thanks Guys for the BD greetings! :)

The dinner was excellent and the quail outstanding w/ that simple recipe which Susan has used for years!  Dave

Yes, happy belated birthday to you, Dave! I hope it was an enjoyable one for you.

Harpo

Quote from: Eric on April 19, 2012, 05:50:49 PM
Happy birthday, Dave!

That looks delicious. You're a lucky man, girls like yours aren't made anymore. 

:)

Yes, Dave, you are indeed fortunate to have her.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harpo on May 20, 2012, 03:05:37 PM
Yes, Dave, you are indeed fortunate to have her.

Well, what's for dinner tonight!   ;D 8)

Karl Henning

That halibut was good enough for Jehovah . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gold Knight

Two slices of pizza: one plain, one with meatball topping.  ;D

Gold Knight

One thick home made cheeseburger with fried onions, ketchup and pickle, accompanied by a side of deli potato salad. Quite simple and yet so good!  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gold Knight on July 08, 2012, 06:38:14 PM
One thick home made cheeseburger with fried onions, ketchup and pickle, accompanied by a side of deli potato salad. Quite simple and yet so good!  ;D

I get heartburn just thinking about it. ;)

I had roasted chicken breasts with a lemon butter sauce, corn on the cob, and parmesan crusted potatoes tonight. Delicious.

SonicMan46

Susan (i.e. Harpo) and I are celebrating our 42nd anniversary tonight!  WOW -  :o :D

Yesterday we saw a movie & went out to dinner & tomorrow are planning a dinner out (probably sushi), so she decided to cook a dinner - well, we decided on a pheasant (a bird we both love - like a small turkey) - well she was @ the Fresh Market in the morning and had the 'meat man' give her a frozen pheasant, BUT when she got home, in the bag was a frozen rabbit, SO what to do?  Well, we have not had rabbit in the house for a while so I said find a recipe and make the little bunny -  ;) ;D

So, a nice simple dinner, i.e. rabbit w/ some plain green beans (we tend to avoid carbs @ our age but still love them - SAD!), along w/ a Biltmore Blanc de Noir sparkler (recently brought back from our trip a few weeks ago to Asheville) - plus, a little cake bought locally - great 'change of pace' - NOW, those who have not eaten rabbit, the analogy of course is that it tastes like chicken - well pretty close, the texture is the same and the meat is more like a 'combo' of dark/white chicken, especially the larger back leg of the rabbit; SO, if you like chicken, rabbit will not disappoint - pleasant dinner - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 12, 2012, 06:03:27 PM
Susan (i.e. Harpo) and I are celebrating our 42nd anniversary tonight!  WOW -  :o :D

Marvelous! Belated (but no whit less warm) wishes for a happy anniversary!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on July 13, 2012, 02:56:44 AM
Marvelous! Belated (but no whit less warm) wishes for a happy anniversary!

Thanks Karl for the wishes - the Biltmore sparkler went quite well w/ the bunny!  Dave  :D

Sergeant Rock

Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?  :D Congratulations, Dave and Susan. The dinner looks great !

I love rabbit. We most often have it at my in-laws. Mrs. Rock's mother makes a mean rabbit. And I recall vividly the first time I had it: at a farm in Alsace, cooked by the mother of my first wife's best friend from her Strasbourg university days. The mother was Polish (only spoke German, no French) who had fled Poland before the Soviet advance along with the father (a native of Alsace) who'd been unwillingly drafted into the Wehrmacht and sent to the Russian front. Anyway, she was a marvelous cook, and the meat was really fresh. They farmed rabbits and the one we ate had been alive that day. I don't know how much difference "fresh" makes, but man, I've never had rabbit that good again.

Here's the cook, on the left. Yeah, she was short; about 4'9'' or 10" Left click to enlarge.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Congratulations! That is a remarkable achievement! You get to continue the celebrtion over the weekend (at least, I hope you will).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock took over kitchen duties this evening, and excelled  8) She made Saltimbocca alla Romana (veal with prosciutto and fresh sage), noodles cooked in chicken stock, and peas, carrots and white asparagus. We drank a sangiovese/colorino blend, Rosso di Sera, the top wine from Fattoria Poggiopiano, a winery located in the Chianti Classico region. Here's the winery's website with an interesting video introduction: http://www.fattoriapoggiopiano.it/storia/?lang=en)

Sarge

Ataraxia

Bubble and squeak.

Not really. I just wanted to say it.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on July 13, 2012, 12:17:34 PM
Bubble and squeak.

I had to google that  ;D  Mrs. Rock wants me to make it.

Sarge