What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

A fairly simple, but delicious lunch.  Bok choy fried in olive oil, fresh garlic, and a dried and crushed super chili from last year's pepper garden.  Add milled sea salt and black pepper.  On the side, one and half ounces of aged gouda and a bowl of fresh raspberries for dessert.

This year's pepper garden as planted by our daughter.  She planted 12 or so different varieties.  Most will be ready in August.

I am about to take last year's dried and grind the different peppers together and put them into a shaker.  At least for me, I do not need to add much.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Sarge et. al. - my quest for a white wine I can really love continues. Today, bought my first two bottles of Grüner Veltliner, hearing that it's a nice dry white without being overladen with citrus tones. Gonna serve up the first bottle tonight with turkey-black bean-spinach enchiladas; I'm out of beer and the info sheet at the wine shop said "pairs well with Southwestern cuisine."

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2013, 02:37:30 PM
Sarge et. al. - my quest for a white wine I can really love continues. Today, bought my first two bottles of Grüner Veltliner, hearing that it's a nice dry white without being overladen with citrus tones. Gonna serve up the first bottle tonight with turkey-black bean-spinach enchiladas; I'm out of beer and the info sheet at the wine shop said "pairs well with Southwestern cuisine."
Well the turkey, black bean, spinach, tomato enchiladas were delicious (healthy dollop of cumin in those), topped with chipotle sauce and cheese... and the wine was fantastically smooth. Went great with the meal, although the food might have been a little too spicy for it. Grüner Veltliner and I are going to get along very, very well. :)

jlaurson

Sarge: Put in my first oder with Wittmann day before yesterday...

Silvaner trocken, 2012

Weißer Burgunder trocken, 2012

Grauer Burgunder trocken, 2012

Riesling trocken, 2012

Riesling 1l , 2012

Didn't go for Scheurebe & Rosé ... for no particular reason except that I can always get more Rosé when a woman that has a penchant for Rosé frequents my place on a regular basis...
a few boxes of the basic stuff... plus one box "Vom Schiefer" of his wife's stuff. Not usually (or until now at least not) a fan of slate (shale/shist)-taste... but I suppose a well made Riesling could well convince me. Aside, I like to surprise the palate. Which makes me wonder why I didn't go for the Scheurebe. Have you had that one and/or the Rosé? Am I missing out?

If those tickle my explorin' buds, without satisfying them, I'll try their Ortsweine. But mainly I was interested in their Pinot Blanc...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2013, 02:37:30 PM

Grüner Veltliner is a difficult wine to buy with confidence. At least I've found it so. It runs the gamut from basic rotgut to extraordinarily concentrated, spicy decadence (with alcohol in the 15% range) which goes with nothing else except itself. It seems you've found a good food wine. Excellent! The best Veltliner I ever had was at an upscale restaurant in the Akron Ohio area several years ago. My oldest friend had invited me to dinner. His wife is Austrian and she was quick to notice the wine being offered by the glass. 12 bucks, per glass, I believe. It was a perfect aperitif and segued well into the appetizers. I wish I could recall the producer. I'd stock up.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 20, 2013, 11:59:36 AM

This is even more unnerving than someone accepting ones recommendation for a CD  :D  I hope you enjoy the wines! Wittmann is an excellent vintner...but I'm too aware that taste in wine is so individual. If you don't like them, ship the remnants to me and I'll reimburse you!  I do hope you like his Riesling (my favorite grape, and the most noble of the whites  ;) )

Didn't go for Scheurebe & Rosé[...]Scheurebe. Have you had that one and/or the Rosé? Am I missing out?

I haven't...and that surprises me, considering Mrs. Rock is a huge fan of both. We are always on the lookout for good dry Scheurebe  (the grape has been vinified dry only rarely until fairly recently--it had the unfair reputation of smelling, if not tasting, like cat's piss). Our main source is Lingenfelder in the Pfalz. He promotes Scheu, and was one of the first, possibly the first, to go dry.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 20, 2013, 12:38:55 PM
Grüner Veltliner is a difficult wine to buy with confidence.

Sarge

I feel the same way... and that's coming out of (almost) Austria. A good artisan vintner Veltliner is worth trying... but even then, it's such a basic wine at heart, that aiming for it specifically isn't worth it. If I need very basic cooking wines (though generally one shouldn't cook with anything one didn't also want to drink), I aim for it sometimes.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 20, 2013, 12:54:16 PM
This is even more unnerving than someone accepting ones recommendation for a CD  :D  I hope you enjoy the wines! Wittmann is an excellent vintner...but I'm too aware that taste in wine is so individual. If you don't like them, ship the remnants to me and I'll reimburse you!  I do hope you like his Riesling (my favorite grape, and the most noble of the whites  ;) )

I made sure that they know my (not inconsiderable) order is linked to your name in their memory! And no... you won't be seeing much of that wine, I think. I like the area, I like the grapes... I don't think I'll be in for too much of a surprise, except a positive one.

SonicMan46

Well tonight, dining in w/ a favorite dish (some from our local seafood store + Susan's noodles) - Shrimp Thai Cakes w/ Whole Wheat Chili Oiled Linguini + Seaweed Salad - wine for the night a Ch. Ste. Michelle Sauvignon Blanc from the Horse Heavens Hills - the shrimp cakes are made locally along w/ the seaweed salad - this is a VERY tasty dish!  Enjoyed AGAIN!  Dave :)

Octave

Do we have a wine thread?  If not, would someone [I know so little, I'm not sure I'dbe the right one] care to start one?   I'm interested in learning. 
I think the subject could warrant its own home, if there isn't one already.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Octave on June 20, 2013, 04:53:19 PM
Do we have a wine thread?  If not, would someone [I know so little, I'm not sure I'dbe the right one] care to start one?   I'm interested in learning. 
I think the subject could warrant its own home, if there isn't one already.

Hi Octave - we not only have a wine thread but I started it back in 2007!  Check HERE and please contribute, there is a handful of 'active' wine lovers here and likely many more wine enthusiasts!  Enjoy - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Weißer Burgunder trocken, 2012

Today Mrs. Rock suggested we have dinner at the Landhotel Zum Schwanen in Osthofen, the village next to Westhofen where Wittmann's estate is located. The hotel has an attractive courtyard for outdoor dining

and the restaurant offers Wittmann wines. We drank the 2012 Weißer Burgunder for the first time. It has more fruit than the 2011; it's a tad sweeter without being sweet. It went really well with our dinner.

We stated with prosciutto and melon and then shared an Asiatic "salad" with very spicy glass noodles and raw Zander (pike perch) and creamed wasabi. Main courses: I had monkfish topped with an olive paste on a bed of ratatouille and gnocci filled with Bärlauch (bear's garlic). Mrs. Rock had Stubenküken (spring chicken, basically a baby bird) with a rhubarb/ginger salsa and orange ravioli. Left click to enlarge pics.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 21, 2013, 12:20:03 PM
Today Mrs. Rock suggested we have dinner at the Landhotel Zum Schwanen in Osthofen, the village next to Westhofen where Wittmann's estate is located. The hotel has an attractive courtyard for outdoor dining

and the restaurant offers Wittmann wines. We drank the 2012 Weißer Burgunder for the first time. It has more fruit than the 2011; it's a tad sweeter without being sweet. It went really well with our dinner.

Sarge

Well, coincidence of coincidences. I got my delivery today... put all the wine in my (not very appropriate) cellar... and brought one 2012 Weissburgunder up as a reward. And just minutes ago I had my first, very rewarding glass. Fritzy little thing... quite dry by my accounts (I'd be surprised if it surpasses 3, 4 g/l RS), with fruit, but also a bit of a tang. Love it!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on June 21, 2013, 12:32:30 PM
Well, coincidence of coincidences. I got my delivery today... put all the wine in my (not very appropriate) cellar... and brought one 2012 Weissburgunder up as a reward. And just minutes ago I had my first, very rewarding glass. Fritzy little thing... quite dry by my accounts (I'd be surprised if it surpasses 3, 4 g/l RS), with fruit, but also a bit of a tang. Love it!

Very glad, and relieved, you found the wine to your taste (as how could you not  ;) )  Yes, very dry without being austere. We'll be visiting the winery soon to buy a case or two.

Sarge

Karl Henning

It isn't routine; it's evergreen: oatmeal and green tea. Good morning from Boston!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2013, 04:10:50 AM
It isn't routine; it's evergreen: oatmeal and green tea. Good morning from Boston!

Morning, Karl (afternoon here). I'm ready for lunch. Leftover perch (in a Mediterranean tomato sauce) from Saturday's dinner.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Last night we had entrecote and white asparagus (Spargel season ends Wednesday). Raided the cellar and drank one of our two remaining 1990 Chateau Monbrisons.

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2013, 04:17:58 AM
Morning, Karl (afternoon here). I'm ready for lunch. Leftover perch (in a Mediterranean tomato sauce) from Saturday's dinner.

G'day, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Hello Sarge & Karl - now, I do enjoy eating 'green' asparagus and know how the 'white' version is grown (i.e. w/o sunlight), but just curious if the taste is much different?  Also, the meat, some type of rib cut, I assume?

For me, seafood the last few evenings - Saturday night, grilled salmon filets (w/ coastal dry rub) on a cedar plank - just 10 mins - quick & easy w/ a nice salad (mixed greens, walnuts, bleu cheese crumbles, & mandarin oranges - one of my favorite combos) - wine from the 'cellar' was an Oregon Pinot Noir (Ransom, 2010) - last night, a 'new' restaurant in town - had their 'catch of the day' - grilled tuna (rare) w/ cajun rice & a seasonal mixed veggie - wine another Pinot Noir (my choice for tuna & salmon) from California (Russian River Vly) - Dave :)

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 24, 2013, 09:04:15 AM
Hello Sarge & Karl - now, I do enjoy eating 'green' asparagus and know how the 'white' version is grown (i.e. w/o sunlight), but just curious if the taste is much different?

It's not even the same vegetable. (Well, it is, of course... but not in a practical sense. Germans consume White Asparagus probably in a relation of 10:1 (or higher) to green... and wouldn't have anything else. It's boiled or steamed (actually tastes better boiled, counter intuitively, because the stock it makes gives flavor back into the veg.) and has to be peeled. You couldn't grill it.  Which or whether it's better or not is almost a mute extraordinarily, curiously silent point, given how different they are.

Karl Henning

Just a niggling quibble, Jens, which I offer only because you're a writer, and prefer to get things right . . . but you want a moot point.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA