Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Okay, I have a photo!

Here's what all we did for the meal:
- sweet potato gnocchi from scratch, rolled over a fork and cooked to perfection (or close, for our first try!)
- a cream sauce with finely minced onions and garlic, a few sage leaves, and a whole lot of gouda
- crumbles of the last of my home-cured bacon
- for the salad, we put some aluminum foil on a pan and roasted a bunch of raspberries and blackberries until they were newly dried, then (using the same now juice-covered foil) baked a few slices of goat cheese too
- we both got a slice of bacon  :D
- Altamira Reserva Malbec 2009: a powerful partner with the resolve to stand up to all that sweet potato, gouda, and bacon goodness

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on July 10, 2013, 05:39:54 AM
Bought a whole cow tongue on a whim. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

But I'm having faint ideas about slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow broiling it.

right now it's brining...

SonicMan46

Hi Brian - that looks like a fine dinner and like the wine choice! :)

Susan & I are at the Snowbird Mtn Lodge (southwestern NC) celebrating our 43rd anniversary (YIKES!) - below a view of the Snowbird Mountains, part of Nantahala National Forest & location of the Cherohala Skyway - room has a nice hot tub on the deck w/ similar views of the mountains, but trees in the foreground give the feeling of being up high in a tree house -  ;D

Food here is excellent (package includes breakfast, bagged lunch, and dinner) - last night we both started w/ a great garden salad (fresh greens & excellent homemade 'green' dressing) - main course was duck breast cooked to perfection medium rare (one of the best that I've had in a long time!) along w/ a cheesy herb-flavored orso and some cruchcy green beans.  Wine for me a Pinot Noir.  Tonight I'll probably have the mountain trout - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 11, 2013, 06:04:15 AM
Hi Brian - that looks like a fine dinner and like the wine choice! :)

Susan & I are at the Snowbird Mtn Lodge (southwestern NC) celebrating our 43rd anniversary (YIKES!) - below a view of the Snowbird Mountains, part of Nantahala National Forest & location of the Cherohala Skyway - room has a nice hot tub on the deck w/ similar views of the mountains, but trees in the foreground give the feeling of being up high in a tree house -  ;D

Food here is excellent (package includes breakfast, bagged lunch, and dinner) - last night we both started w/ a great garden salad (fresh greens & excellent homemade 'green' dressing) - main course was duck breast cooked to perfection medium rare (one of the best that I've had in a long time!) along w/ a cheesy herb-flavored orso and some cruchcy green beans.  Wine for me a Pinot Noir.  Tonight I'll probably have the mountain trout - Dave :)

Congratulations on the milestone! That's a lot of 'yes dears'!  :P :)

And nice pictures as always...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

For dinner, I ate a shredded corn beef (that's been steamed to make even more tender) sandwich on sourdough bread with some mayo, spicy mustard, and baby swiss. On the side, I had some BBQ chips and some sweet horseradish pickles. To wash it all down with, I drank some freshly brewed sweet iced tea.

ibanezmonster

I've pretty much realized by now that I could never become an alcoholic, or even want to drink anything with alcohol, ever again...

wine looks so nice, but I'd rather drink something as disgusting as seltzer water. Oh boy, yet another thing to make me think that everyone besides me is simply crazy...  ::)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Greg on July 14, 2013, 10:14:34 AM
I've pretty much realized by now that I could never...want to drink anything with alcohol, ever again...

Why?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Greg on July 14, 2013, 10:14:34 AM
I've pretty much realized by now that I could never become an alcoholic

Funny, I'm coming to the opposite conclusion!  ;D

ibanezmonster

Brian

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2013, 01:51:58 PM
Solution:

Those look yummy.
Maybe I'll try those sometime, next time I'm not at home (not allowed to drink alcohol).

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 11, 2013, 06:19:07 AM
Congratulations on the milestone! That's a lot of 'yes dears'!  :P :)

And nice pictures as always...

Hi Neal - thanks! :)  At the Snowbird Mtn Lodge, we rented a timber-framed room w/ a deck that had a 'private' hot tub (unfortunately, we don't look the same after 40+ yrs of marriage, BUT still loved the experience!) - first pic below is from a 1/2 mile 'easy' hike to a trail on the property called Sunrise Point (obviously facing east) - second pic is from our deck as the sun was setting one evening (looks like a Turner painting to me) - Dave :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Greg on July 14, 2013, 02:05:18 PM
Those look yummy.
Maybe I'll try those sometime, next time I'm not at home (not allowed to drink alcohol).

He was pulling your leg. Don't try that crap. The only thing worse than drinking it would be liking it.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on July 14, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
He was pulling your leg. Don't try that crap. The only thing worse than drinking it would be liking it.
I wasn't joking. What makes it crap to you makes it great to people who don't really like alcohol. It's basically just fruit juice that gets you hammered.

I have friends who hate the taste of wine, but love to drink $5.99 "red table wine" that's sweetened to the point of being dead. I bring some when I visit them, because, hey, it may suck, but they like it!

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on July 14, 2013, 03:02:01 PM
I wasn't joking. What makes it crap to you makes it great to people who don't really like alcohol. It's basically just fruit juice that gets you hammered.

I have friends who hate the taste of wine, but love to drink $5.99 "red table wine" that's sweetened to the point of being dead. I bring some when I visit them, because, hey, it may suck, but they like it!

Oops. But I must say that, in a screw-all-relativism-when-it-comes-to-food mood, fruit juice that gets you hammered (or drinking alcohol by such means, when one doesn't even like it, for the express purpose of intoxication... as if there was anything desirable about alcohol per se) strikes me as nothing less than unapologetically sophomoric. Wine is as much a piece of culture as Dvorak and Bach are. Well, actually, much more so, probably. And should be treated with that in mind. A million different perfectly legitimate ways, sure. But just not badly.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on July 11, 2013, 06:04:07 AM
right now it's brining...

That looks so gross. Hope it tasted better than it looks. Not a tongue fan myself (being a sheltered American for most of my youth). But I recall an appetizer of tongue at a wedding I attended in 1974 in Nancy where everyone but me raved about the "delicacy." I nearly threw up  ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

From an abandoned Stanley Kubrick project, The Brining
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on July 16, 2013, 12:07:44 PM
From an abandoned Stanley Kubrick project, The Brining

:D ;D :D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock came home from work and announced she was in the mood for paella. No argument from me ;)  Black tiger shrimp, cod, scallops and Chorizo went into the mix. Had a mixed green salad with onions, tomatoes and radish sprouts. Drank a chilled rosé from the Languedoc. Williams pear brandy for dessert. Left click to enlarge pics.

Sarge