What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Is everyone else on a diet?  ;)

Last night: charcoal grilled lamb cutlets; a green bean salad with onions, feta, fresh dill in a lemon/olive oil dressing; plain taters with a dollop of creamy quark. Drank a fourth growth (quatrième cru) Margaux: 2001 Marquis de Terme. Left click to enlarge first pic.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2013, 08:24:36 AMplain taters with a dollop of creamy quark.
Been doing your shopping at CERN, then?  ;)

Last night I made a stir-fry in my new wok with various kinds of mushrooms, spring onions, and bean sprouts, but (at the bidding of a cookbook) added so many rice noodles that I had to pull half of them back out and throw them in the bin. Not the best start to attempting Asian cooking...

SonicMan46

Hi Sarge - those last two meals shown look fabulous, as usual; and the wine choices (+ after dinner drinks) also great - Susan & I are still eating well - just have not taken any pics lately - my bad!  :-[

But tonight, we tried a new restaurant (our 4th trip there, so enjoying!) - now I've usually chosen seafood (tuna & swordfish), but tonight I wanted a meat dish - SO, started (actually split because of size) a wonderful salad (top pic below) - I ordered a rarity for me, i.e. a hickory grilled pork chop cooked medium - came pink & juicy - the mash potatoes were flavorful and chunky - had a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir from CA (Russian River Vly).

Susan had a delicious burger medium rare w/ superb French fries - not her usual dinner dish but her mood for an early dinner - also an excellent bar there - her cocktail was a ginger mojito w/ extra fresh mint & lime - no dessert (we were just too filled) - will return in the near future!  Dave :)

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2013, 08:24:36 AM
Is everyone else on a diet?  ;)
Nice to see you eating and drinking well, 2001 is an underrated Vintage in Medoc/Graves (I have a Haut-Bailly 2001 myself waiting for the right occasion).

While not on a diet per see (not that it would do any harm), we had a week in San Sebastian this summer (what a fabulous city!) where "we stuffed ourselves silly" - well; not exactly, but we ate extremely well - in tapasbars and a couple of top restaurants, so well; we've eaten simply since our return. 

Parsifal

Sockeye Salmon, grilled over a combination of hardwood charcoal and cherry wood.  Accompanied by grilled corn and lemonade freshly prepared from lemon juice, cane sugar and spring water.  (Off alcohol at the moment in an effort to become a bit more svelte, otherwise I'd have snuck a bit of Pims #1 into the lemonade.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 22, 2013, 02:55:44 PM..but tonight I wanted a meat dish - I ordered a rarity for me, i.e. a hickory grilled pork chop cooked medium - came pink & juicy - the mash potatoes were flavorful and chunky - had a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir from CA (Russian River Vly).

That sounds like a sensational meal (and reminds me we haven't had potatoes that way in quite some time).

Quote from: Brian on July 22, 2013, 12:49:58 PM
Last night I made a stir-fry in my new wok with various kinds of mushrooms, spring onions, and bean sprouts, but (at the bidding of a cookbook) added so many rice noodles that I had to pull half of them back out and throw them in the bin. Not the best start to attempting Asian cooking...

I have a healthy distrust of recipes I see in cookbooks (or online). Most need tweaking to turn out well...to our taste anyway. That green bean salad we had: the first time I made it I followed the recipe exactly and, it was terribly bitter (way too much lemon zest). This last time, though, I followed my gut (and Mrs. Rock's recommendation) and it was perfect.

Quote from: The new erato on July 23, 2013, 01:15:18 AM
Nice to see you eating and drinking well, 2001 is an underrated Vintage in Medoc/Graves (I have a Haut-Bailly 2001 myself waiting for the right occasion).

It wasn't a great Bordeaux (rather one-dimensional) but much better than I expected. It went nicely with the grilled lamb; probably a better match than a more complex example would have been. And the price was right; one of the least expensive cru classé I've seen in years and it sold out quickly. I only managed to pick up a couple of bottles.

Quote from: Scarpia on July 23, 2013, 05:46:41 AM
Sockeye Salmon, grilled over a combination of hardwood charcoal and cherry wood.

Reminds me of one of the best meals I ever had: fresh wild Alaskan salmon a friend cooked on his Weber for me several years ago. Cost a fortune...but was so worth it (I kept telling his wife, who wasn't so pleased by the price :D ). I haven't grilled salmon in ages. We finally have a supplier of fresh fish close by now. Maybe this weekend.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

In this heat wave, I don't want to cook much. The kitchen is warm enough without several burners or the oven on. So last night a mainly cold meal: ham in aspic with a horseradish dip; pickled carrots and celery root, Krautsalat (coleslaw); and fried potatoes and onions. A plate of olives, peppers, cheese and dried tomatoes on the side. We drank a Weissburgunder from Weingut Pfeffingen, the Herrenberg GG (Großes Gewächs or Grand Cru). Left click to enlarge first pic.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 24, 2013, 07:20:27 AM
Reminds me of one of the best meals I ever had: fresh wild Alaskan salmon a friend cooked on his Weber for me several years ago. Cost a fortune...but was so worth it (I kept telling his wife, who wasn't so pleased by the price :D ). I haven't grilled salmon in ages. We finally have a supplier of fresh fish close by now. Maybe this weekend.

Sarge

Around here the price is not prohibitive ($16 to $20 per pound).  The truth is that farm-raised Atlantic Salmon can be more tasty off the grill (a bit more oily, allowing a crispy exterior and juicy interior).  Also, don't underestimate the deliciousness of grilled sweet corn with a bit of a twang from the hardwood smoke.  (Just soak in water for 30 minutes, roll in olive oil and salt and wrap in aluminum foil before tossing on the Weber for 20-30 minutes.)

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 24, 2013, 07:30:25 AMWe drank a Weissburgunder from Weingut Pfeffingen, the Herrenberg GG (Großes Gewächs or Grand Cru).
Sarge

You know I want notes on Weissburgunders. How's that GG-baby? And is it a good value, would you say?

Brian

It's high salmon season and I'm reaping the benefits. My grocery was advertising Canadian Coho for $8.99/lb. Time to grab a pound and serve 'em up. I don't have a grill, but there are a lot of creative ways to serve salmon deliciously. Doesn't hurt that it's probably my favorite fish.

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2013, 07:45:31 AM
It's high salmon season and I'm reaping the benefits. My grocery was advertising Canadian Coho for $8.99/lb. Time to grab a pound and serve 'em up. I don't have a grill, but there are a lot of creative ways to serve salmon deliciously.

And on top of all that, you can claim it's good for you!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2013, 07:45:31 AM
It's high salmon season and I'm reaping the benefits. My grocery was advertising Canadian Coho for $8.99/lb. Time to grab a pound and serve 'em up. I don't have a grill, but there are a lot of creative ways to serve salmon deliciously. Doesn't hurt that it's probably my favorite fish.

Salmon is a favorite of ours, whether raw as sushi/sashimi, smoked, or cooked in some fashion - Susan has a lot of excellent recipes and I do a 'cedar plank' salmon on the grill - an Oregon Pinot Noir is probably my favorite wine w/ this fish (and also w/ tuna).  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on July 24, 2013, 07:45:08 AM
You know I want notes on Weissburgunders. How's that GG-baby? And is it a good value, would you say?

When I first tasted it (last September) it seemed closed. It still does. Or perhaps it's the style: a rather austere minerality. Not a typical (in my experience) Pfälzer Weissburgunder: no explosive bouquet or fruit. It is deeply concentrated with a gorgeous color (noticeable in the picture).  Makes a good food wine. But it's not so enjoyable (to me anyway) on its own. Good value? Well, for €20 I expected more. (It's €17 if you take advantage of their subscription offer: order the 2013 now and take delivery when it's released in September.) But I prefer the Wittmann...that is good value.

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 25, 2013, 04:43:25 AM
When I first tasted it (last September) it seemed closed. It still does. Or perhaps it's the style: a rather austere minerality.... But I prefer the Wittmann...that is good value.

Wittmann upper class or Wittmann basic? The 2012 Weissburgunder, although in many ways very satisfactory, struck me as a little closed still, as well... and I actually preferred the 2012 Grauburgunder which seemed a little further along the way... if it is indeed a developmental thing, still, and not just their nature.

We have a Men's Night Out here, every so often... every 4 to 8 weeks, centered around food and good wine (or different beers, as last night--a rare but fun grilling exception with self-made sausages), several music-related people, but hardly all of them... and there I've found an excellent testing, tasting, and tippling ground!

SonicMan46

OK - Sarge & I need to get this thread back on track w/ some 'personal' pics!   :D

Tonight, grilled Chicken Yakitori (marinaded in soy sauce, onion, garlic, etc.), Rice, whole grain w/ mushrooms, herbs, onions, etc., and Tomatoes, local fresh produce w/ a little oil & salt/pepper + fresh Basil (the latter really adding the complexity!) - some Oregon Pinot Noir for myself - delicious variety and even healthy!  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on July 25, 2013, 08:42:47 AM
Wittmann upper class or Wittmann basic?

I meant the basic 2012, which I've had several times at a restaurant which offers Wittmann's wines.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Last night: Mrs. Rock's "Indian" fish in coconut sauce. Ingredients: coconut milk, 1 teaspoon Garam marsala (recipe to follow) 1 tablespoon tumeric, curry leaves, chopped onion and garlic, finely sliced red hot pepper, juice of half a lemon, butterfat (brand name here Butaris) and pollock filets. Garnish with spring onions.

Garam marsala:  pan roast coriander seeds, peppercorns, fennel seeds, one bay leaf and one crushed cardamom pod and seeds. When the spices have browned, dump in a mortar, add some rock salt and grind it up.

We drank a superb old Alsatian Riesling, the 1996 Grand Cru Schoenenbourg from Domaine Mittnacht-Klack. Mature Riesling goes so well with the flavor of coconut. Left click to enlarge images.

Sarge

jlaurson

"Mittnacht Klack" is a sensational name for anything, certainly Riesling. Sounds like the plot and or villain in a  George MacDonald Fraser novel.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 28, 2013, 08:14:44 AM
Last night: Mrs. Rock's "Indian" fish in coconut sauce. Ingredients: coconut milk, 1 teaspoon Garam marsala (recipe to follow) 1 tablespoon tumeric, curry leaves, chopped onion and garlic, finely sliced red hot pepper, juice of half a lemon, butterfat (brand name here Butaris) and pollock filets. Garnish with spring onions.

Sarge - that looks quite tasty and the wine pairing sounds perfect!  Congrats to Mrs. Rock - :)

For us last night, our local 'lodge' 5 mins from home - my 'once a month' necessity - Vension Medallions - ultra lean and tender slices served with raspberry merlot sauce and two sides. - vary my sides (plenty of choices), but last night cole slaw & steamed broccoli, along w/ a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir (La Crema from California) - Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 29, 2013, 08:24:06 AM
For us last night, our local 'lodge' 5 mins from home - my 'once a month' necessity - Vension Medallions - ultra lean and tender slices served with raspberry merlot sauce and two sides. - vary my sides (plenty of choices), but last night cole slaw & steamed broccoli, along w/ a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir (La Crema from California) - Dave

I've had La Crema several times. In fact, I think it was one of the pinot noirs we drank with that wild Alaskan salmon I mentioned a few posts back.

Sarge