What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on July 24, 2013, 07:42:06 AM
Around here the price is not prohibitive ($16 to $20 per pound).  The truth is that farm-raised Atlantic Salmon can be more tasty off the grill (a bit more oily, allowing a crispy exterior and juicy interior).  Also, don't underestimate the deliciousness of grilled sweet corn with a bit of a twang from the hardwood smoke.  (Just soak in water for 30 minutes, roll in olive oil and salt and wrap in aluminum foil before tossing on the Weber for 20-30 minutes.)

Our local "fishmonger" finally had fresh salmon again. We bought a good-sized filet (almost a kilo) and had enough for two meals, Saturday and Sunday suppers.

Sunday evening we supplemented the smaller salmon portions with a few fresh scallops. Charcoal grilled on the Weber after marinating the fish in olive oil, lemon juice, Herbes de Provence, Turkish chili flakes and sea salt. Served with corn and noodle salad. We drank a chilled syrah rosé from Chile, quite delicious. Went well with the food. (Saturday night we drank a Weingut Knipser Spätburgunder, i.e., German pinot noir.)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock did the cooking tonight. She made poached halibut, steamed Kohlrabi (cabbage turnip) and rice. Sauce was made with butter, neutral white wine, cream, sautéed leeks and mushrooms, tarragon and sea salt. We drank a sensational wine, a 2010 Würzburger Stein Weissburgunder (pinot blanc) Kabinett trocken from the Staatlicher Hofkeller Würzburg (€14.50). The wine tasted of lime and a melange of spices.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 30, 2013, 12:43:57 PM
Mrs. Rock did the cooking tonight. She made poached halibut, steamed Kohlrabi (cabbage turnip) and rice. Sauce was made with butter, neutral white wine, cream, sautéed leeks and mushrooms, tarragon and sea salt. We drank a sensational wine, a 2010 Würzburger Stein Weissburgunder (pinot blanc) Kabinett trocken from the Staatlicher Hofkeller Würzburg (€14.50). The wine tasted of lime and a melange of spices.

Hi Sarge - looking good as usual - love the 'screw top' (becoming one of my favorite enclosures) - how are the German wine makers/bottlers adjusting to using it - just curious?

Susan & I recently returned from a long weekend in Blowing Rock, NC - just a 90 minute drive (believe that I've shown some pics in the past in the travel thread).  One of our favorite restaurants there is called the Gamekeeper (menu in the link); as the name implies 'wild' meats a specialty - we both started w/ the Mixed Green Salad - Susan had the Bison - NC bison scotch steak w/ yukon gold, grilled cabbage, etc. - the bison is raised near Asheville - she likes meat 'medium rare' - had a bite, just delicious!

For me, the Venison rack chop w/ cippolini-thyme risotto, baby beet, & swiss chard - also 'medium rare' and delicious; a new cut for me (I do eat venison tenderloin once or twice a month at our little bistro shown a few posts back).  Wine for me (the usual) a CA Pinot Noir - shared a dessert - Blueberry Cobbler, warm w/ vanilla gelato & toasted pine nuts.

Our other memorable dinner was a place we had not tried on Main Street, Storie Street Grille - as usual we started w/ a nice salad (plenty of good options); Susan had lamb - I tried the North Carolina mountain trout. pecan crusted and grilled, finished with a white wine and lemon caper pan sauce, served with smoked gouda grits and grilled asparagus - two nice pieces of trout, light on the pecan topping and delicious - wine for me King Estate Pinot Gris from Oregon!  Dave :)

jlaurson

Had a superb dinner a few nights ago in a restaurant in the Bregenzerwald region... baked blood sausage on potato salad as an appetizer... to die for. whatever followed was wonderful, but sadly paled in comparison. Wine was a knock-out: An Alto Adige red, Baron di Pauli, 2006 Arzio... (50% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Cabernet Franc)

SonicMan46

Well, tonight I was grilling some Tuna - tried a new recipe from the book shown below (it's the only book I now use JUST to simplify my grilling life!) - recipe attached - really a superb flavor (and likely useable on other fish & meats) - NOW, the grilling time is from the book - we like are tuna rare, so I did just 2 minutes per side (for about a 1 inch cut) - came out w/ a pink but warm middle like a medium rare steak - SO, consider the timing.  We just had a simple salad plus some Pinot Noir for me (my choice w/ tuna or salmon) - was raining a little (I have a half umbrella over my grill) but ate on our porch w/ some guitar music on my little stereo there  (George Van Eps) - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 31, 2013, 06:52:39 AM
Hi Sarge - looking good as usual - love the 'screw top' (becoming one of my favorite enclosures) - how are the German wine makers/bottlers adjusting to using it - just curious?

Even many of best, the great estates (like the Hofkeller Würzburg) are taking to it with, I think, enthusiasm. I like screw caps. They simplify storage (especially once the bottle is open), and of course it takes less time to get the bottle open and the wine down your gullet. A definite plus :D  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on August 31, 2013, 02:21:59 PM
Had a superb dinner a few nights ago in a restaurant in the Bregenzerwald region... baked blood sausage on potato salad as an appetizer...

Mrs. Rock and I are jealous.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 31, 2013, 04:37:11 PM
Well, tonight I was grilling some Tuna - tried a new recipe from the book shown below

Thanks, Dave. I'll try that recipe next time our market has tuna.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 01, 2013, 06:51:46 AM
Even many of best, the great estates (like the Hofkeller Würzburg) are taking to it with, I think, enthusiasm. I like screw caps. They simplify storage (especially once the bottle is open), and of course it takes less time to get the bottle open and the wine down your gullet. A definite plus :D  8)

Hi Sarge - same feeling here - easy to remove & store leftovers (if any exit -  ;D).  New Zealand should be approaching 100% in their use of screw caps (may be there already - not sure, but I've not removed a cork from a Kiwi wine in ages, but I don't see the more expensive ones around my locale).

But the Pinot Noir that I had last night w/ the tuna had a screw cap - made at Meiomi by Joseph Wagner (son of Chuck & grandson of Charlie) of Caymus Winery fame.  Just mentioning this wine for those who can find it locally - about $20 a bottle in my vicinity - blended from three CA coastal areas (Sonoma, Monterey, & Santa Barbara) - available in my local grocery stores (legal in NC) & appearing on a number of restaurant lists; SO, for those looking for a relatively inexpensive P. Noir, check out this one - I've had 3 vintages now and though there has been some variation, each was quite tasty.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Susan's famous Matzo Ball Chicken Soup - she auctions this off yearly for our Unitarian Fellowship - and then makes an extra pot for us, so an uncommon treat - uses a whole chicken per pot & makes the 'balls' from matzo meal (and to perfection - soft, fluffy, & flavorful) - she no longer adds the parsnips (just a personal choice - I never liked them that much in the soup).

So attached a pic of a bowl of soup (I had an extra half bowl) - should have added a nice slice or two of Jewish rye bread!  For me, a Sauvignon Blanc from California - a winery that I've visited several times over the years.  Sometimes there's nothing like a GOOD soup for dinner - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 07, 2013, 04:18:08 PM
Susan's famous Matzo Ball Chicken Soup

That looks seriously good!

Does the auction take place at this time every year? If so I'll plan my next trip to North Carolina then--and I'll just happen to drop by your place around dinner time  :D ;) 

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Last night Mrs. Rock made Steinbeißer (wolffish) baked with fresh spinach. A cucumber/potato salad in a yoghurt dressing on the side. We drank a 2012 Deidesheimer Mäushöhle Riesling Kabinett feinherb, a gold prize winner from one of Germany's best wine cooperatives: Winzerverein Deidesheim.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 01, 2013, 07:39:24 AM
Hi Sarge - same feeling here - easy to remove & store leftovers (if any exit -  ;D).  New Zealand should be approaching 100% in their use of screw caps (may be there already - not sure, but I've not removed a cork from a Kiwi wine in ages, but I don't see the more expensive ones around my locale).

But the Pinot Noir that I had last night w/ the tuna had a screw cap - made at Meiomi by Joseph Wagner (son of Chuck & grandson of Charlie) of Caymus Winery fame.  Just mentioning this wine for those who can find it locally - about $20 a bottle in my vicinity - blended from three CA coastal areas (Sonoma, Monterey, & Santa Barbara) - available in my local grocery stores (legal in NC) & appearing on a number of restaurant lists; SO, for those looking for a relatively inexpensive P. Noir, check out this one - I've had 3 vintages now and though there has been some variation, each was quite tasty.  Dave :)

I must fully agree! I had this at an Italian restaurant for the first time last year and it was very nice (and at a reasonable price point). It can be found on sale for less than $20 (and it is carried in many places - Whole Foods had a big display last year). And I very much like screw cap for ease of just about everything! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 08, 2013, 08:42:53 AM
That looks seriously good!

Does the auction take place at this time every year? If so I'll plan my next trip to North Carolina then--and I'll just happen to drop by your place around dinner time  :D ;) 

Hi Sarge - auction usually takes place in the middle of the year - Susan sometimes waits months before making the soup, BUT we have some Jewish friends (a colleague) who missed out - so we invited them over for the soup which they loved (originally New Yorkers, so very particular about their 'native' soup - ;)) - that fish dish made by Mrs. Rock looks quite tasty to me (a spinach & fish lover!) - we'll have to exchange dinner invitations! 

Tonight, I grilled some lamb chops - a very simple recipe (attached) - the 4th time and always excellent - couple of changes for me - longer time on the marinade (usually about 15 mins or so in the frig and then a similar time @ room temp) - we like our lamb medium rare, so careful to watch - I usually do 3-4 minutes per side & then have Susan test the meat - often needs an extra minute or two but SO tasty w/ the Provence herbs - NOW, I think that this might work out well on a veal or a pork chop (might want to marinade longer w/ those cuts - not sure?  BUT worth a try) - Dave :)

toledobass

Cool weather here.  Time to make soup!  Maybe rasam for today. 

A

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Hi Allan - chilly & rainy here - some hot soup would be quite nice!  :)

For us, we just returned from a trip to Montauk, LI to visit my MIL/BIL - this makes 40 years of going to the eastern shore of that island - two treats are the wonderful seafood, especially shellfish, and the wineries on the North Fork - takes 2 ferries from Sag Harbor to get over Shelter Island to Greenport.

Susan & I feasted on shellfish the entire time (just 4 nights) - oysters, little neck clams, steamers, shrimp, & lobsters - we had lobsters three nights for dinner (looked like the one below), plus lobster rolls for 2 lunches - one of the best I've had in recent years is shown below (small restaurant in Mattituck on the North Fork called Love Lane Kitchen) - nearly all lobster (probably about half of a 1 1/4# one) on a buttered and toasted roll - $24 which is about ten bucks more than the usual prices but worth every bite!  Dave  :D

SonicMan46

Hate to post after my own one!  ;D

BUT, my weekend grilling assignment - decided on Baby Back Ribs w/ a dry Memphis Rub from Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible (both the rub & cooking recipes attached for those interested) - split the full rack about in half (applied a tsp to each side of Susan's half rack & double that on mine, left in frig for 6 hours - still a little too hot for us, so a few trials may be needed) - cooking time depends on your grill - I have a new Weber natural gas unit which seems to 'bake' quickly - put her piece on early - just 45 minutes and about 10 mins less for mine - SO, a few tries needed.  BUT, came out juicy and delicious w/ a bunch of heat (especially on my ribs) - had a Pinot Noir but a beer would have been better; Susan had a local IPA, which I probably would have chose w/ this dish - home-made cole slaw - AND as usual on our porch - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 28, 2013, 05:20:52 PM
Hate to post after my own one!  ;D

When the food looks this good, post away, Dave! It's been years since we had pork ribs. The picture makes my mouth water.

Sarge 

kaergaard

Absolutely time for soup! It's Chancellor Angela Merkels' favourite: Kartoffelsuppe, her own recipe, her own production - potato soup! -