What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

What's wrong with you people? It's Sunday, time for this...

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 15, 2013, 03:00:06 PM
What's wrong with you people? It's Sunday, time for this...

Home-made or carry out?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2013, 03:05:00 PM
Home-made or carry out?

Carry out (unfortunately), and now I'm paying for it. I need some ginger ale.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 15, 2013, 06:23:10 PM
Carry out (unfortunately), and now I'm paying for it. I need some ginger ale.  :)

Papa John's? Pizza Hut? Domino's? Yeah, I don't eat pizza as much as I used to but now if I do I'll make my own at home.

toledobass

Pasta with white beans and arrabiatta.  Braised some brocolli rabe in olive oil, anchovies and crushed red pepper too.  Delicious!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on December 20, 2013, 06:37:29 AM
Pasta with white beans and arrabiatta.

Oh yeah...I love "pissed off pasta"  ;D   Mrs. Rock makes a superb Penne all'arrabbiata:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,88.msg696877/topicseen.html#msg696877

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

toledobass

I made some kale and potato soup.  Used some leftover salami ends in it and some turkey broth that was frozen from Thanksgiving, loads of smoked paprika and a good hit of cayenne and it turned out a very good, warming soup for this cold night. 

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on January 04, 2014, 04:13:01 PM
I made some kale and potato soup.  Used some leftover salami ends in it and some turkey broth that was frozen from Thanksgiving, loads of smoked paprika and a good hit of cayenne and it turned out a very good, warming soup for this cold night.

Hit me with the recipe.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

heat up some olive oil,  throw in sliced up salami ends (or prosciutto bits, or bacon) let that render a bit,  (you can leave it veg too, but add 2 onions and maybe a grated carrot to the next step).  Add a chopped onion and couple cloves of smashed garlic, add a bay leaf, season with salt and pepper,  let the onions cook off for a while,  add potatoes (i used small fingerlings that i sliced in half if they were larger ones or left whole for the smaller ones, let them coat with the fat in the pan then season with salt and pepper, then a generous amount of smoked spanish paprika, crushed red and/or cayenne,  let that cook off for a minute or two. Add broth, bring to a simmer and let the potatoes soften,  add the kale a the final stage of cooking. 

A

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock excelled last night: roast venison with a red wine sauce, mashed potatoes (half sweet), and made-from-scratch red cabbage (it was to die for...if you're a Kraut lover that is  ;) )  Not shown: a homemade cranberry sauce. We drank one of my Christmas presents: a 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon from Weingut Philipp Kuhn, one of Germany's greatest red wine makers. He's based in Laumersheim in the Pfalz. The wine had a coffee and blackberry bouquet; a deep, lingering taste, not too tannic.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Hi Allan & Sarge - soup sounds delicious (maybe a little 'hot' for me - I've cut back on 'heat' w/ age - :))

I've never had a venison roast, but a lot of medium rare tenderloins which I love!

Susan is a big soup fan, especially on a chilly day - we were just out at our local Japanese place; I had my usual sashimi (tuna, salmon, hibachi) & a few rolls (shrimp tempura & king crab this time) - the day was cold and a little drizzly, so a soup for Susan - her favorite there is the Nabe Yaki Udon - big thick noodles w/ all sorts of protein, veggies, and an egg floating on top + two large shrimp tempura!  Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 05, 2014, 07:39:56 AM
I've never had a venison roast, but a lot of medium rare tenderloins which I love!

Deer, in supermarkets, in restaurants, is common in Germany this time of year. The taste is nothing like beef. Hard to describe but delicious. Even better than a roast leg of deer are deer medallions: steaks cut from, I assume, the tenderloin. But even in Ohio (when I get "home") I have venison often. My bro-in-law is a hunter, and a successful one.

Tonight we ate at our favorite local Italian (Al Fiume in Worms): I had broiled Rotbarsch (ocean perch or redfish) with rosemary potatoes and salad. Mrs. Rock ate a salmon lasagne. We drank a white from Piedmont.

Sarge

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 05, 2014, 11:27:59 AM
Tonight we ate at our favorite local Italian (Al Fiume in Worms): I had broiled Rotbarsch (ocean perch or redfish) with rosemary potatoes and salad. Mrs. Rock ate a salmon lasagne. We drank a white from Piedmont.

Sarge

Sarge, I'm passing through Frankfurt in May, but I'm afraid it's only a flight layover - will land at 9 p.m. and take off the next morning at 10:15 a.m. And in the mid-summer there is a very good chance I'll be tracking down distant relatives of my father who to this day own 'Vignobles Reinhart' in the Alsace. Maybe we can make our paths cross in the summertime...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on January 05, 2014, 01:21:47 PM
Sarge, I'm passing through Frankfurt in May, but I'm afraid it's only a flight layover - will land at 9 p.m. and take off the next morning at 10:15 a.m. And in the mid-summer there is a very good chance I'll be tracking down distant relatives of my father who to this day own 'Vignobles Reinhart' in the Alsace. Maybe we can make our paths cross in the summertime...

When I read your post last night my brain plugged in 9 a.m. I thought, yeah, we can definitely get together if you have a 24 hour layover.  But landing at 9 at night, and then the usual hour or so making it through baggage and customs makes it too late unfortunately. I'm sure all you'll want to do is crash anyway (from the jet lag). But if you're going to Alsace in the summer...well, that presents possibilities. Keep me up to date  :)

Sarge

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2014, 05:11:30 AM
When I read your post last night my brain plugged in 9 a.m. I thought, yeah, we can definitely get together if you have a 24 hour layover.  But landing at 9 at night, and then the usual hour or so making it through baggage and customs makes it too late unfortunately. I'm sure all you'll want to do is crash anyway (from the jet lag). But if you're going to Alsace in the summer...well, that presents possibilities. Keep me up to date  :)

Sarge

The flight's landing from Stockholm (I go to the USA in the morning), but yeah, I think the summer has possibilities. If/when actual plans form I'll let you know!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2014, 06:32:22 AM
The flight's landing from Stockholm (I go to the USA in the morning), but yeah, I think the summer has possibilities. If/when actual plans form I'll let you know!

Ah, no jet lag then. Still too late for me though. Way past my bedtime  ;D

Sarge

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2014, 06:37:45 AM
Ah, no jet lag then. Still too late for me though. Way past my bedtime  ;D

Sarge

Multiple people have independently told me that Jimmy's Bar in Frankfurt is where they would want to be if the world was ending in 2 hours, so I think I'll probably be there.  :P

toledobass

Cooking lots of stuff that takes time, but you get to see a big transformation.  Onion soup (which takes a while to properly caramelize the onions,)  turkey thigh confit, and baking off a boule of bread.

I'll get some bread pics up later!

A

toledobass

some more pic- the caramelized onions,  bread right out of the oven, and DINNER!!!!

A

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr