What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 30, 2014, 12:40:02 PM
The Fury comic first appeared after my comic book reading days were over. Rock, though, was part of my childhood.

Sarge

Someone told me once that DC and Marvel Comics teamed-up once for a story about Rock and Fury working together on a mission.  Never seen it though. 

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 30, 2014, 04:20:16 PM
Someone told me once that DC and Marvel Comics teamed-up once for a story about Rock and Fury working together on a mission.  Never seen it though.
"Oh Ken, you read a classical music discussion group? That must be very highbrow and pretentious."

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Ken B on July 30, 2014, 04:38:13 PM
"Oh Ken, you read a classical music discussion group? That must be very highbrow and pretentious."

;) Undeservedly, and imperiling its future, Classical Music carries that cross.  Some of the most "highbrow and pretentious" discussions I've ever been witness to - bar none and that includes some lofty lit & critical theory classes - have been among Donald Duck and Unca Scrooge comic fans.  Sophisticated literary allusions, deconstruction, philosophy, psychological analyses, alternative history, nothing is beyond these cats.  Same is true of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans (a series which continues btw in comic book form).   

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 30, 2014, 05:18:12 PM
;) Undeservedly, and imperiling its future, Classical Music carries that cross.  Some of the most "highbrow and pretentious" discussions I've ever been witness to - bar none and that includes some lofty lit & critical theory classes - have been among Donald Duck and Unca Scrooge comic fans.  Sophisticated literary allusions, deconstruction, philosophy, psychological analyses, alternative history, nothing is beyond these cats.  Same is true of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans (a series which continues btw in comic book form).
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Lit crit pond scum and Buffyologists. They are the kind that give bullshit a bad name.

North Star

To be fair, there is some depth in e.g. Carl Barks's Donald Duck / Uncle Scrooge comics.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ZauberdrachenNr.7

It's time for tea.  Past time, actually.

PaulR

Lemon-Parsley Pork Chops with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes :)

Mookalafalas

We bought a cuisinarte and my wife whipped up a bowl of pesto.  My god is it good! We also have a breadmaker.  A thick layer of pesto on home-made bread is incredible (and fast and convenient).
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on July 30, 2014, 05:47:53 AM
Born and raised there! and a resident until spring of '94.  Anxious to go back (if I can get my wife to deal with the winters).  My best buds are still there and miss the lilac festival, among other things.  I attended the Jazz Festival there last month.  Did you take the thruway or go out 104 to Buffalo?  If you took 104 you drove right past my (former) house in Clarkson. 

I generally took the I-490/Thruway route, as my commutes tended to be in non-daylight hours, and I just wanted to get from Point A to Point B.  I remember Rochester with much fondness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

Roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds, washed down with iced green tea.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: karlhenning on August 22, 2014, 10:41:48 AM
Thread Duty:

Roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds, washed down with iced green tea.
I've seen you mention green tea on more than one occasion. I love hot green tea with a big lunch at Japanese restaurants, but I dislike iced green tea. To me, the two taste totally different. I just like unsweetened black iced tea.

Also, I love green tea ice cream (I just had some earlier today!).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

listener

Fresh catch (not by me) Sockeye salmon, stuffed with mushrooms and shallots, a bit of fresh ginger and garlic, with lemon and dill, oven baked.   Fresh green beans with raspberry vinaigrette and new potatoes, and strawberries with crème fraîche for dessert.  Meal of the year for me.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: listener on August 22, 2014, 12:44:11 PM
Fresh catch (not by me) Sockeye salmon, stuffed with mushrooms and shallots, a bit of fresh ginger and garlic, with lemon and dill, oven baked.   Fresh green beans with raspberry vinaigrette and new potatoes, and strawberries with crème fraîche for dessert.  Meal of the year for me.

Tonight I cooked a, somewhat, similar meal: broiled cod loins marinated with fresh ginger, herb de Provence, garlic, honey, lemon, olive oil, Turkish pepper flakes (Mrs. Rock's marinade); green beans with onions and feta cheese and a lemon/olive oil dressing; baked rosemary potatoes. Drank a locally produced Grauburgunder (Pinot gris).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Wow!

It looks like Saturday is going to be fresh salmon and a white bean salad for me. I will steal your shallots and ginger idea!

EigenUser

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 22, 2014, 12:51:50 PM
Tonight I cooked a, somewhat, similar meal: broiled cod loins marinated with fresh ginger, herb de Provence, garlic, honey, lemon, olive oil, Turkish pepper flakes (Mrs. Rock's marinade); green beans with onions and feta cheese and a lemon/olive oil dressing; baked rosemary potatoes. Drank a locally produced Grauburgunder (Pinot gris).

Sarge

Quote from: Brian on August 22, 2014, 12:56:54 PM
Wow!

It looks like Saturday is going to be fresh salmon and a white bean salad for me. I will steal your shallots and ginger idea!

Other than the cheese, all of this sounds perfect for me! Especially Brian's. Salmon and white beans go really well together. Whole Foods used to make a white bean and salmon chowder and a Panera-like chain called "Le Pain Quotidienne" has a salmon/white bean open-faced sandwich.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on August 22, 2014, 11:53:14 AM
I've seen you mention green tea on more than one occasion. I love hot green tea with a big lunch at Japanese restaurants, but I dislike iced green tea.

I almost always drink it hot.  This afternoon I needed something cool I could just knock back, and thus the inspiration struck!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: EigenUser on August 22, 2014, 11:53:14 AM
I've seen you mention green tea on more than one occasion. I love hot green tea with a big lunch at Japanese restaurants, but I dislike iced green tea. To me, the two taste totally different. I just like unsweetened black iced tea.

Also, I love green tea ice cream (I just had some earlier today!).

Iced green tea can be good - it just needs a helpmate, ginger pairs well with it.  I like mint, too, and grow my own spearmint, peppermint, apple mint and pineapple mint in my herb garden.

Today, I'm making smashed pea and barley soup. 

Karl Henning

While I do not deny that ginger in tea is almost always good . . . I actually enjoyed this no-frills iced green tea.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Last night's birthday dinner...

- fresh figs, halved, topped with goat cheese, and wrapped with prosciutto di Parma
- shallot and thyme tarte
- mushrooms stuffed with chives, shallots, bacon, and more goat cheese
- cheesecake with Andes mint chunks in it and Oreo chunks on top

Friend made the cheesecake, and we did the rest of the cooking together. I have good friends.

Wines: three (3) pinots noir from Four Graces label (Black Family Wineyard), Willamette Valley, Oregon. We sampled and compared rare bottles of their two single-plot pinots with the blend of all their grapes that they sell across the country. It's clear that in the blend they heavily favor one over the other; the other has a darker, more elusive taste, like an evil twin. The blend is exactly how a textbook would describe an Oregon pinot. All three very good.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

You guys make me hungry.  And thirsty.  And it's only 8:00 AM here.