What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on September 25, 2014, 05:21:26 PM
Yeah but they die of cancer. Think of how many Japanese never live to see their 114th birthday.
Wow, good point. I guess in a way they're kinda reckless.  Think of all the great, great, great, great grandchildren they'll never see...
It's all good...

EigenUser

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on September 25, 2014, 06:41:54 PM
They look delicious! Compliments to the chef!
Thanks!

There's a Vietnamese restaurant here that prides itself on its Sesame Tofu (delicious deep-fried tofu in a sesame batter).  It's delectable but yes dangerous, so I don't visit it often.  Comes with what they call "circled broccoli" - first time I ordered it partly because I wanted to find out what circled broccoli was - it was just their awkward but inventive way of saying they've arranged steamed broccoli florets around the tofu like...well, covered wagons in a western!
:laugh: That's funny. Some exotic kind of broccoli? No, just regular broccoli arranged in a circle!

Now, about the danger, Nate - couldn't you get nearly the same effect with less risks to your health by using a wok?  Such is recommended.
I actually did use a wok. A year or so ago I learned how to from this Australian guy when I googled "how to deep fry tofu":
http://www.youtube.com/v/-XuBqI2sdas

Last week realized that I currently have the healthiest diet I've probably ever had in my life (medium carbs, low-ish fat, very high protein). The only other fried food I really like to eat is fish and chips, but that doesn't happen very often. The last time I had fish and chips was when I was in New England in July (which reminds me, I need to change that!).

If you do the Drachenburgers ( :laugh:) remember to press as much of the water outta the tofu as you can.
Point noted. It's the same with frying it.

If you are attacked by the lazies, you could make my Spicy Stir-fry Tofu Peppers & Mandarin Oranges instead - if you've a wok.  Will send the 'receipt' (love the old way of saying recipe).
That would sound good, except I don't like sweet/fruit-flavored sauces :(. I think I'll make the tofu burgers next weekend. I have too much going on this weekend! I have a math exam to study for (even though I took the class last year and did well, I'm afraid of fooling myself with that as an excuse for not studying this year and getting very different results), 80+ homeworks to grade, a new homework to make, and my friend is visiting, too! Next weekend I will try and reserve for the drachenburgers.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

The John and Nate repellant salad

Watermelon
Feta
Fresh mint
White balsamic vinegar

Not too much white baldamic, easy, delicious.

Mookalafalas

I'm dieting. Had cabbage and veggie salad with balsamic vinegar and nut-and-fake-bacon-bit sprinkles and tuna on top.  Better than it sounds.
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 05, 2014, 03:37:53 AM
I'm dieting. Had cabbage and veggie salad with balsamic vinegar and nut-and-fake-bacon-bit sprinkles and tuna on top.  Better than it sounds.
I have no idea what fake bacon tastes like, but otherwise that sounds great - if it was better than that..  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: North Star on November 05, 2014, 04:40:50 AM
I have no idea what fake bacon tastes like, but otherwise that sounds great - if it was better than that..  8)

Fakin' bacon is surprisingly good - at least the brand we like, Morning Star.  It's the only imitation meat we eat, outside of tofu burgers and such.  Quite nice in BLTs and atop baked tater.  I have had my fill of real bacon - my parents and grandparents served it twice a week or more and lots of it.  My grandmother would roast it - a whole pound - maybe 34 or 36 slices (called 'rashers,' actually) for five people. That's an ungodly amount o' bacon. It would all get eaten up and the overriding sentiment was, "wish there were more."

North Star

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on November 20, 2014, 07:03:57 AM
Fakin' bacon is surprisingly good - at least the brand we like, Morning Star.  It's the only imitation meat we eat, outside of tofu burgers and such.  Quite nice in BLTs and atop baked tater.  I have had my fill of real bacon - my parents and grandparents served it twice a week or more and lots of it.  My grandmother would roast it - a whole pound - maybe 34 or 36 slices (called 'rashers,' actually) for five people. That's an ungodly amount o' bacon. It would all get eaten up and the overriding sentiment was, "wish there were more."
Mouth-watering post :) And I think that's the basic unit of bacon per person, actually (90 grams, i.e. 'ungodly')  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

I finally went to Trader Joe's today, but I couldn't find those quinoa burgers you were talking about, Z7! So, I bought microwavable quinoa instead and I'm having that now.

I'm going to stop there more often! They also had these outstanding "shrimp bites". The box described them as "a sophisticated yet unpretentious sibling to fish sticks", and my friend and I had a good laugh over that.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 05, 2014, 03:37:53 AM
Has to be.

Cosi bel do

I'm currently preparing the foie gras for Christmas. :D 8) :D

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: EigenUser on December 10, 2014, 02:16:26 PM
I finally went to Trader Joe's today, but I couldn't find those quinoa burgers you were talking about, Z7! So, I bought microwavable quinoa instead and I'm having that now.

I'm going to stop there more often! They also had these outstanding "shrimp bites". The box described them as "a sophisticated yet unpretentious sibling to fish sticks", and my friend and I had a good laugh over that.

Here's a photo of the box; try not to miss these, quite tangy.  Tonight I am baking-up my first ever Kabocha Squash (also from TJ) - if it tastes anywhere near as good as it smells, I'm a fortunate diner.  Just basted it with melted coconut oil, sea salt and pepper.  This could be the squash for people who don't like squash, but too soon to tell for sure.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 17, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
This could be the squash for people who don't like squash, but too soon to tell for sure.

Yummy-licious - can confirm this to be possibly true for squash-haters.  Careful cutting it!

EigenUser

Here's a photo of the box; try not to miss these, quite tangy.
Perfect. Thanks! I'm back home for Winter break so I'll see if one of the local VA stores has it. The DE store might have, but I was with a friend (thus, distracted), so I may have missed it. They look/sound outstanding.

PaulR

EigenUser

Here's a photo of the box; try not to miss these, quite tangy.
I just got these today. Outstanding! Thanks for the tip.

PaulR

vegetable pad thai with dry fried tofu

Ken B

Freshly made kielbasa from a local Polish deli. Cooking it this moment.

Mookalafalas

Ate at seafood restaurant out in the countryside with about 13 adults and 7 kids.  Pieces of sashimi the size of a 10 year old's palm.  That was awesome, but sort of downhill from there, with lots of fried fish and fried calamari, although a wonderful crab soup and even a couple of vegetable dishes.  Not good for dieting, I'm afraid. 
It's all good...

SonicMan46

For Christmas & New Year's Eve's, Susan & I had our typical 'snack' dinners (like the one below from last year) - smoked trout & smoked salmon, usually on thin toasted rye bread, a dill sour cream sauce for the trout and a little cream cheese for the salmon; salads; caviar (we buy Paddlefish these days); and an assortment of cheeses (not much these days) w/ crackers.  Of course, a bottle of the bubbly - this year Dr. Frank from the New York Finger Lakes district (all vintage 2008 & made in the traditional Champagne way).

For Christmas & New Year's dinner, roast pheasant - perfect size for two people and basically tastes like a turkey - the joints are a 'bitch' to cut through, so I usually just take some large good poultry shears and cut the bird in half and then we each struggle get the pieces apart.

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 03, 2015, 02:59:46 AM
Ate at seafood restaurant out in the countryside with about 13 adults and 7 kids.  Pieces of sashimi the size of a 10 year old's palm.  That was awesome, but sort of downhill from there, with lots of fried fish and fried calamari, although a wonderful crab soup and even a couple of vegetable dishes.  Not good for dieting, I'm afraid.

We are making Thai chicken soup today, with lemon grass and coconut.