What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 19, 2015, 09:09:31 AM
I've never eaten fresh sardines but I've seen people at Spanish restaurants consume the entire fish. Did you eat the bones too? The other dishes all look great. Suckling pig...I always feel guilty but then I think, it's really their own fault: if only they didn't taste so darn good they might have had a longer life  ;D

Sarge

Small sardines can go down the hatch with everything on them... head-to-tail.

No pix, but as of late we've been busy in the leftover cooking mode and utilizing my current better half's parents veggy garden, making hokkaido pumpkin baked in a leeks-fennel aged* mountain-cheese. Tonight, a little cous-cous zucchini creation yet-to-be-concocted... perhaps with a few lentils, that other fennel still lying about, and, you've guessed it, the rest of the leeks.

Also, we made about a gallon of condensed sugo from all those tomatoes we picked. Winter may come!

(* 42 months!!! MY pride for which I have waited well over three years)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on September 09, 2015, 01:02:15 AM
Small sardines can go down the hatch with everything on them... head-to-tail.

I'll have to overcome my natural aversion and give sardines a try sometime  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

My recent favorite breakfast dish: Three-Pepper Cheese Grits (grits, Monterey Jack cheese, mild green chiles, ground black pepper, Cholula hot sauce).

8)

--Bruce

Brian

Huh, somehow I completely forgot to inform all you folks in this thread that this year I got a new side job as a freelance food and wine writer for a local newspaper!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2015, 12:12:53 PM
Huh, somehow I completely forgot to inform all you folks...

Congratulations. I loved the linked reviews. Looking forward to reading more. This line had me laughing out loud: "Luckily, we at the Observer believe that a fool and his money should stay together long enough to run for president..."

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2015, 12:12:53 PMwine

"Of the five listed wines, only one is from Burgundy. One is the unknown "JP Chenet,"

Not unknown...it is available in almost any German supermarket for a few Euro  :D  What is Old Warsaw charging for it?

Sarge

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 16, 2015, 12:39:22 PM
Not unknown...it is available in almost any German supermarket for a few Euro  :D  What is Old Warsaw charging for it?

Sarge
JP Chenet Sparkling Brut $39
JP Chenet "Vin Rouge de Bourgogne" [sic!] $28

Btw if you click my name, you can see a few more things I've written (there are somewhere around 20 total), including collabos with my friend.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 16, 2015, 12:30:55 PM
Congratulations. I loved the linked reviews. Looking forward to reading more. This line had me laughing out loud: "Luckily, we at the Observer believe that a fool and his money should stay together long enough to run for president..."

@ Brian - agree w/ Sarge above - excellent, concise, and often funny reviews - enjoyed reading and thanks for the links!  Dave :)

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 16, 2015, 12:39:22 PM
Not unknown...it is available in almost any German supermarket for a few Euro  :D 

Sarge

Is their rose any good? Have you tried it by any chance? It's cheap at local supermarkets here as well. I'm not much of a wine drinker (barely at all, actually) but I do like occasionally some very dry rose in the summer.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Draško on December 16, 2015, 02:29:04 PM
Is their rose any good? Have you tried it by any chance? It's cheap at local supermarkets here as well. I'm not much of a wine drinker (barely at all, actually) but I do like occasionally some very dry rose in the summer.

I haven't tried the rosé or the sparkling wine. The red was drinkable...at least it was twenty years ago when our budget didn't often allow a better wine.

Sarge

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2015, 12:12:53 PM
Huh, somehow I completely forgot to inform all you folks in this thread that this year I got a new side job as a freelance food and wine writer for a local newspaper!!

Congrats, Brian, and I am laughing my head off at the Old Warsaw review. I actually went there once, back in the day (presumably when things were perhaps a bit different - but maybe not), and this is a fine, light indictment of a restaurant whose time has probably come and gone (from your hilarious descriptions). Very funny.

--Bruce

bhodges

Today's grits (What can I say? I love them): flavored with Cotswold cheese (Double Gloucester) with onions and chives.

Eating lightly in advance of a spectacular-looking meal tomorrow night at this place:

http://www.bibianadc.com/

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brewski on December 30, 2015, 08:14:07 AM
Today's grits (What can I say? I love them): flavored with Cotswold cheese (Double Gloucester) with onions and chives.

Eating lightly in advance of a spectacular-looking meal tomorrow night at this place:

http://www.bibianadc.com/

Hi Bruce - love the Double Gloucester w/ Stilton which we likely will have w/ our New Year's Eve 'snack dinner' tomorrow night, along w/ some Paddlefish caviar and smoked salmon & trout - of course, a bottle of the bubbly!

That restaurant looks great - and familiar (can't remember if we ate there last time?) - have a great feast!  Dave :)

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 30, 2015, 08:50:31 AM
Hi Bruce - love the Double Gloucester w/ Stilton which we likely will have w/ our New Year's Eve 'snack dinner' tomorrow night, along w/ some Paddlefish caviar and smoked salmon & trout - of course, a bottle of the bubbly!

That restaurant looks great - and familiar (can't remember if we ate there last time?) - have a great feast!  Dave :)

OK, that 'snack' sounds mighty tasty. I'll be right over.

Oh, wait...never mind.  8)

Hope you and Susan have a great time as well.

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brewski on December 30, 2015, 08:14:07 AM

Sounds good. I love grits too...but I confess I've never eaten them with anything other than butter and sugar. I need to expand my palate  8)

Tonight we ate salmon and scallops (sautéed with spring onions and garlic), salad and baguette. We drank a local Grauburgunder (Pinot gris) from the Pfälzer winery Philipp Kuhn.

Left click to embiggen  :D

Sarge

bhodges

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 30, 2015, 12:45:17 PM
Sounds good. I love grits too...but I confess I've never eaten them with anything other than butter and sugar. I need to expand my palate  8)

Cheese grits (no matter what kind of cheese) are a Southern United States thing - often served as a Thanksgiving side dish, for example. I like going "savory" rather than sweet. Even oatmeal - which I fully grant is probably one of the healthiest things you can eat - is awfully bland, and I'm not that fond of adding cream and sugar - the latter gives me a big blood sugar crash later.

This year I tried adding rosemary (actually, herbes de provence) and garlic to oatmeal. Need to experiment a bit more - my ratios weren't quite right - but I can see the path ahead.  8)

--Bruce

Jaakko Keskinen

Mentos. I freaking love Mentos.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on January 08, 2016, 06:56:42 AM
Mentos. I freaking love Mentos.

Hah...I'm just now finishing off some Snackwell's devil's food cookies --- I freakin' love devil's food cookies. ;D

bwv 1080

Made three kinds of ribs Sunday - beef, spare and baby back
3 hours of hickory on the smoker @250 then another three in the oven @230
Simple rub of salt, pepper, brown sugar, cumin and chile powder

SonicMan46

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 12, 2016, 04:14:49 AM
Made three kinds of ribs Sunday - beef, spare and baby back
3 hours of hickory on the smoker @250 then another three in the oven @230
Simple rub of salt, pepper, brown sugar, cumin and chile powder

Look delicious! :)  My wife loves ribs looking like those and would enjoy tremendously (I call her the 'bone woman') - too cold here for me to use the grill but in a month or so, may cook up some for her on the grill!  Dave