Anime

Started by greg, September 05, 2008, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

To Love-Ru
26 episodes + 4 OVAs

Pure trash. I enjoyed it immensely.
See, I can have bad taste, too, but at least I realize it and know the difference between great art and garbage!  :P

Anyway, it is an ecchi about an alien named Lala (the pink-haired girl) who shows up naked in the main character's bathtub. She wants to marry him, which means that he will be the ruler of the universe, but he interested in Sairenji instead (the blue-haired girl). Every time he tries to ask her out, something incredibly unlikely will happen to interrupt.

It is just so out there and bizarre and sometimes constant fan service can ruin a show (Nisemonogatari is an example, me agreeing with almost everyone on this), this is an ecchi, so it's to be expected. The main character is a very gentle-natured kid that is very respectful toward women but constantly ends up falling on them in strange ways due to his clumsiness and they always get embarrassed and call him a pervert. And somehow, several of the girl characters are secretly interested in him for no apparent reason.

Such trashy entertainment, but entertaining enough for me to want to watch the sequels.  8)

ibanezmonster

Motto To Love-Ru
12 episodes

They took the comedy up a notch with this one. One of the funniest scenes has to be the one where they're trying to catch this guy who is stalking Sairenji at night while she's walking her dog. They catch him and this guy says, "Actually, I'm after him," pointing at the dog. Then the guy takes off his large trenchcoat and it turns out to be a giant female bulldog.  :P

At the end, he gets to confess to all of the girls except Sairenji (the single most important thing to happen in the show). But, as Lala said, if he marries her, he'll be king of the universe so Earth's rules won't apply and he can have as many wives as he wants. She's fine with it and knows Sairenji likes him and would be happy for them to all be together.

Can't wait to watch To Love-Ru Darkness now...

ibanezmonster

To Love-Ru Darkness
12 episodes + 4 OVAs

The last season of the series so far, and hopefully it will be expanded upon.
This season takes the show into some slightly more dramatic moments but never loses the silly jokes and crazy antics from the original season (and some of the most abundant ecchi/fan service in any show of the genre). Momo develops her harem plan for Yuuki Rito by trying to add more girls, but nothing is really concluded.

The girls are enough reason to watch the show itself, but the jokes never get old for me, which is why it was still so entertaining. Imagine the awkwardness of switching bodies with the opposite gender who happens to be your crush or being stuck holding hands with someone for an entire day and all of the awkward situations that would accompany that. And yes, it's natural for everyone to wonder why Yuuki Rito doesn't jump on that plan of becoming King of the Universe and having over 10 concubines instantly- answer: it's to keep the plot/entire show going. And did I mention how much I liked the girls in this show? Well, A LOT.  8)

now watching: Watamote  >:D

ibanezmonster

Watamote: Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui
12 episodes + 1 OVA that airs in October

A single word to describe this show: uncomfortable.

This show has no development but simply shows the daily high school life of Tomoko, an unattractive and extremely socially awkward girl with no friends. It's all black humor- bad stuff happens to her constantly, and while it can be very funny, ultimately watching several episodes at once can make you feel quite sick. It's an odd feeling watching a show about nothing but one person being constantly being embarrassed and letdown, with no one to support her and lift her up in any way.

The sense of isolation and Tomoko vs. the world mentality is portrayed by the lack of actual faces in the background characters much of the time. It's as if she views everywhere equally and "not her." Also, there is no resolution in the story. I'm not sure how the manga develops, but I admire whoever decided to make the story to decide that things never get better for her at all; it's brutally honest and a nice change from the typical happy ending. Apparently she just stays miserable and socially awkward forever?

ibanezmonster

bump for Watamote edit

edit: a week later, still thinking about this show. I know you can compare this to Welcome to the NHK, but still, it's not quite the same. It's uniquely depressing, but in a good way. Even if a show can make you feel so terrible watching it, that's something to at least admire.

That scene where she goes out shopping by herself and buys this Boy's Love game and wins a random prize at a fair that turns out to be a vibrator... then at night, she plays the game and doesn't use the vibrator in the way you'd think (just rubbing it on her face), then suddenly falls asleep. Her dad opens the door to see her asleep with a vibrator next to her a screen with some guy saying something ecstatically like "I don't know how much more I can take..." her dad just sighs and puts her in her bed. Stuff like that...  ???

ibanezmonster

Space☆Dandy
13 episodes

A show about a alien hunter, Space Dandy, whose job is to find undiscovered aliens and take them in for registration. Space Dandy is kinda like a Johnny Bravo-type personality, and I'd actually recommend watching the show English dubbing because of his voice actor (but then again, QT the robot's autotune voice could annoy some people).

It's a non-linear story and each episode is completely different from the next. There's a zombie episode, a home planet time loop episode, a race episode... it's all good fun.

ibanezmonster

Kyoukai no Kanata
12 episodes

Pretty boring. Not recommended. Kyoani may be starting a disturbing trend lately of making boring shows... starting with Tamako Market. This one contains the same boringness, but with a supernatural element.

ibanezmonster

Nekomonogatari: Kuro
4 episodes

Sequel of Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.
Pretty good. Not much to say about it.

Milestone reached- 200 anime entries in my completed list:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ibanezmonster

ibanezmonster

Another
12 episodes + 1 OVA

This show actually creeped me out, and I can't recall any other show or movie ever creeping me out, so I guess I have to give it credit for that.

It's about a high school class that has had a curse for years, where a student (or a relative of a student) dies each month. What I like about this show is that, despite it being in the horror genre, you never see any silly monsters or possessed people that make you laugh (for example, the girl in The Exorcist), but it's creepiness relies mainly in the storytelling and the foreboding sense that someone else will die soon. There is some atmosphere used which accentuates this, yet it's never so much that it feels like the show is trying too hard. Very good overall- will make you think and creep and you out at the same time.

ibanezmonster

Watched the sequel to Chuunibyou a few weeks ago... not much to say about that other than I think all the people who put down the sequel probably expected too much. It's just a show you watch for enjoyment and shouldn't take seriously at all.

What I'm really excited about is the announcement a few days ago of a new season of Digimon, with the original characters as the protagonists!  ???

The sixth season (Xros Wars) which came out a few years ago is the only season I haven't watched... I felt after season 3, the next two seasons declined in quality more and more.

Season 7, with the original cast. This will be one incredible resurrection!  8)

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/v/rVnqtcBcsPo

ibanezmonster

Monogatari Series: Second Season
26 episodes

The sequel to Bakemonogatari->Nisemonogatari->Nekomonogatari: Kuro, this show follows the same stylistic qualities that defined the show without being drowned in fan service (like Nisemonogatari), and as a result has been highly acclaimed (it's ranked #17 on MAL, much higher than the others).

It's divided into several story arcs and and includes some recap episodes. The best arc was probably the very last one. It involves two highly calculating characters scheming and trying to deceive someone. If you can follow everything, it can get interesting.

The trademark art style and endless dialogue is back. It's funny how places look in this show- huge, expansive spaces that are always empty except for the two characters (and I'm talking about an entire airport).

I wouldn't say that it's quite my style of show, though I respect it for what it's trying to do: be original in several aspects, and at the same time it pulls it off intelligently.

A few scenery shots to show of the modernist style. Notice the pure white with solid red pipes or ladders that stand out:

jimkita

Quote from: Greg on June 01, 2014, 07:17:54 AM

To Love-Ru Darkness
12 episodes + 4 OVAs

The last season of the series so far, and hopefully it will be expanded upon.
This season takes the show into some slightly more dramatic moments but never loses the silly jokes and crazy antics from the original season (and some of the most abundant ecchi/fan service in any show of the genre). Momo develops her harem plan for Yuuki Rito by trying to add more girls, but nothing is really concluded.

The girls are enough reason to watch the show itself, but the jokes never get old for me, which is why it was still so entertaining. Imagine the awkwardness of switching bodies with the opposite gender who happens to be your crush or being stuck holding hands with someone for an entire day and all of the awkward situations that would accompany that. And yes, it's natural for everyone to wonder why Yuuki Rito doesn't jump on that plan of becoming King of the Universe and having over 10 concubines instantly- answer: it's to keep the plot/entire show going. And did I mention how much I liked the girls in this show? Well, A LOT.  8)

now watching: Watamote  >:D

I watched this anime too and I like it .

ibanezmonster

No Game No Life
12 episodes

I have no idea how in the world this show got so popular and made #26 on MAL. I guess the appeal could be to people who are into strategic thinking and such, but I just felt that this show was dumb. This was a big disappointment, because it seemed like something I would have liked. The good news is that it only lasted 12 episodes.

The show is about a shut-in and his sister who are legends at video games and get transported to a game world where the objective is to take over as much of it as possible. They never lose in real life, and in the game world... they never lose. That's a big reason why I thought it was boring and predictable. I gave it only a 4/10 on MAL, which is an abnormally low score for me to give. I understand that my opinion of this show is in the extreme minority.

The one thing I like in this show is the artwork. Beautiful colors and scenery.

ibanezmonster

Starting up Digimon Xros Wars. At 79 episodes, this is going to take some time, even considering my vacation!

It's actually split into three parts, and from the reviews, I should expect it to be like this: part 1- mediocre, part 2- not bad, part 3- absolute trash.  ;D

2 episodes in and I see that it looks like it's sticking to the original formula of everything I like about the series.

Jaakko Keskinen

I really liked third season aka Tamers. Often dismissed as uncreative I find it deeply fascinating and characters are very likeable. If I had to say Digimon season that didn't much interest me that was probably Frontier. Btw, it took me many years to learn how different Digimon english dubs are from original japanese. I prefer watching anime in  japanese, with english subs (I know a few japanese sentences and words, especially nouns which intrigue me but not nearly enough to watch without subs).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

I thought it was odd that Tamers was the darkest season despite having the youngest characters. Brilliant, though. (Evangelion for kids?) I agree with Frontier not being extremely interesting. I liked it since it contained the things I like about the show, but really didn't contain any of the brilliance of previous seasons. As for Savers, I struggle to remember anything about the show; either my memory is bad or it was that dull?  :P

I really wonder how they are going to portray Digimon 2015. It's like they will have to pretend that the second season never happened, since that brought the whole first cast to an end.

What did you think about the first two seasons (and did you watch Savers and Xros Wars?)? I couldn't really choose a favorite between Adventure 1 and 2, though 2 is quite highly criticized for various reasons. What I liked was the exploration of both worlds, the constant plot twists, and some of the rather tragic characters. Ken, for one, enslaved and murdered countless Digimon who he thought weren't real and were just there for him to take out his personal problems on. Releasing this he goes through a process of redemption, hoping to be forgiven by everyone. And there is that character who dreamed ever since he was a kid to go to the Digital World- in the end, he falls to the ground and his body is halfway inside the edge of the Digital World, proclaims that he finally made it, and dies. I'd say that overall, Adventure 1 just took me away to a different universe that I could get lost in while Adventure 2 was just fun as hell to watch.

Oh yeah, and if I had to proclaim my favorite Digimon villain, I'd say Piedmon!  >:D ;D

ibanezmonster

Earlier today I was eating lunch at Firehouse Subs and watching a baseball game. It reminded me of that scene in Angel Beats! when they are on the baseball field and trying to pass on from their purgatory by wish fulfillment. The melancholy I instantly felt was just about unbearable, so luckily I was finishing up. And lucky was able to shake it off, though I won't lie and say I didn't kind of enjoy it.  >:D

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on August 09, 2014, 07:35:14 PM
What did you think about the first two seasons (and did you watch Savers and Xros Wars?)? I couldn't really choose a favorite between Adventure 1 and 2, though 2 is quite highly criticized for various reasons. What I liked was the exploration of both worlds, the constant plot twists, and some of the rather tragic characters. Ken, for one, enslaved and murdered countless Digimon who he thought weren't real and were just there for him to take out his personal problems on. Releasing this he goes through a process of redemption, hoping to be forgiven by everyone. And there is that character who dreamed ever since he was a kid to go to the Digital World- in the end, he falls to the ground and his body is halfway inside the edge of the Digital World, proclaims that he finally made it, and dies. I'd say that overall, Adventure 1 just took me away to a different universe that I could get lost in while Adventure 2 was just fun as hell to watch.

Oh yeah, and if I had to proclaim my favorite Digimon villain, I'd say Piedmon!  >:D ;D

I haven't watched savers but I basically know some of the plot and mainly how Kurata is quite possibly the most evil digimon villain ever and being the first human villain that actually truely was evil as Ken and Oikawa were very tragic and Yamaki (God I love Yamaki) had good intentions. From Xros wars I watched some of the episodes concerning Death Generals and I liked it but I haven't watched it all the way through yet. I like second season more than first despite it's flaws with some of the plot points. I really like the villains, Blackwargreymon was cool. And I have to say that Archnemon and Mummymon were extremely entertaining although I have to say they for some reason reminded me of Musashi and Kojiro (Jessie and James) from Pokemon. I could swear it was intentional considering in one episode when Blackwargreymon blasts them they clearly "blast away" like Team Rocket.

My favorite Digimon villain is without doubt Vamdemon aka Myotismon. Ryūzaburō Ōtomo does superb voice acting (he also voices my favorite character in One Piece, Crocodile, they even have identical laughs). He is so overwhelmingly cool and evil that I am wordless. Although I like him much less as Venomvamdemon and BelialVamdemon, probably because their appearance is less cool and intimidating.

While I love Piemon (Piedmon), especially his seiyu Chikao Otsuka,  my favorite Dark Master is easily Pinochimon (Puppetmon). Perhaps because despite him being a bit of a psychopath the way he genuinely wants friends is touching.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on August 10, 2014, 10:52:46 AM
While I love Piemon (Piedmon), especially his seiyu Chikao Otsuka,  my favorite Dark Master is easily Pinochimon (Puppetmon). Perhaps because despite him being a bit of a psychopath the way he genuinely wants friends is touching.
Puppetmon is awesome, too.  ;D I mean, a child-like Dark Master that wants to kill the Digidestined but just wants to play with them and be friends with them at the same time?  :P ;D

I watched the first four seasons on TV, so no subs or anything. A lot of the Japanese names I'm not even sure who they refer to (learned that Yamato = Matt, though). It's been a while. Other than Savers, about a week or so ago was possibly the first time that I watched a Digimon episode since maybe a year or two after Frontier ended in 2003. I watched the Adventure episode with Pixiemon- as it was playing, I could actually remember some of the lines.  :P ;D

ibanezmonster

Speaking of Puppetmon, this episodes was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/v/9Qy8oi_KST8

;D