What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 06:44:50 AM
IMO, this was an excellent performance of the Pathetique and the SQ is not too shabby either with excellent piano tone given the age of the recording.  I would put it in the same league with those I am already familiar with - those by Gulda, Fischer, Gilels, Kempff and Schnabel since I already own all the other sets. 

As to how much details each post should provide about the recording in question, it really is up to the individuals, is it?  There are other forum members who do not care about posting a thesis on what they are listening either ...

Sure, it's completely up to you. And no, a thesis is not necessary, but your thoughts/impressions on what you are hearing are very often helpful to people who haven't heard it before or who have heard it but are curious how others experience the performance. This information can be conveyed in a sentence or two, as you did so succinctly and effectively above. One not need to know anything about Music Theory to do this, either, for we are just sharing our subjective impressions. When I have time, I try to post my thoughts on what I am hearing, sometimes to alert others of stuff that I think is superb, other times to warn people about a poor performance or poor sound quality. Since few of us are lucky enough to have tons and tons of money, this info can often help guide our purchases, as I am sure you know. The info can also spark meaningful conversations, even branch off into another thread, to be discussed at length. 

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 05, 2009, 04:49:09 AM
Believe it or not, that is one Richter CD that I have yet to get. I forget why, but I think it has to do with a few people not recommending it. How's the rest of the set?

George,  I am surprised to find out there are some Richter's recordings you do not own.  It is like me finding some Handel oratorios I do not own - very rare indeed.

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set - Eroica.  It started with excellent tempi right out of the gate - the gradual buildup to the climax in the first movement is like the crest of a flood hitting the shore - steady and relentless.  Both the playing by the Philharmonia (probably much benefited from the tutelage by HvK) and the SQ is excellent in this 2000 remastering ...

BTW, I do not subscribe to the view that LvB symphonies sound beautiful only when they are performed on period instruments.  This is my 18th LvB Symphonies cycles and I expect to add the 19th and 20th before the end of the year to end my collection of these works.

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 06:44:50 AM
As to how much details each post should provide about the recording in question, it really is up to the individuals, is it?  There are other forum members who do not care about posting a thesis on what they are listening either ...

Yes, you are not the only one, but maybe you are the one to post your listening most often without any additional comments.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 05, 2009, 07:40:48 AM
Yes, you are not the only one, but maybe you are tho one to post your listening most often without any additional comments.

I generally skip those full-page reviews since I am only interested in what new recordings are out there or what worthy existing recordings may be missing from my collection.  I have a very different perspective for this thread ...

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 07:45:19 AM
I generally skip those full-page reviews since I am only interested in what new recordings are out there or what worthy existing recordings may be missing from my collection.  I have a very different perspective for this thread ...

You do not need to write full page reviews about the music you listen to, less may do.
But how do you think it may interest anybody to read about your listening, as far as you do not post any reflections at all?.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 05, 2009, 07:55:09 AM
You do not need to write full page reviews about the music you listen to, less may do.
But how do you think it may interest anybody to read about your listening, as far as you do not post any reflections at all?.

Q is the master at this - writes a little about a recording which piques my curiosity and I end up getting a good number of excellent recordings after I have done some research based on his tips.  Besides George, who has helped tremendously with my building out of my collection of piano works, Q probably has been the most helpful.  I may as well use this opportunity to extend my gratitude here ...     ;D

pi2000

Bronislaw Huberman In Performance
Now listening to Brahms  :-*

Enescu Mendelssohn Octets
warmly recommended!!! :o

Coopmv

Now playing CD7 from this set - Symphonies Nos 22-24, 26 & 27.  I will be the first one to admit I do not know these symphonies like I do Nos. 35 and 40.  The AAM performed with precision and emotion.  The first movement of Symphony No. 27 was just beautiful with its flow and rhythm.

Antoine Marchand

I am not an inconditional fan of Savall's recordings, but this reissue from 1988 is almost mandatory for people interested in Monteverdi. Great sound, personnel and general conception, packaged in the customary sumptuous way used by Alia Vox.

Claudio Monteverdi - Vespro della Beata Vergine 1610
Performers: Livio Picotti (Countertenor), Gian Fagotto (Tenor), Daniele Carnovich (Bass), Maria Kiehr (Soprano), Guy de Mey (Tenor), Roberto Abbondanza (Baritone), Montserrat Figueras (Soprano), Paolo Costa (Tenor), Pietro Spagnoli (Baritone), Paolo Costa (Countertenor), Gerd Türk (Tenor)
Conductor: Jordi Savall
Ensembles: La Capella Reial de Catalunya, Padua Centre for Ancient Music Chorus
2 SACDs (hybrid)

Coopmv

Indeed, this is an excellent set.  I bought the set a few months ago.  I need to find time for a second listen ...

The new erato

What a beautiful quartet, with Shostakovich and Beethoven stylistic associations within a theme and variations form. I need to seek out more of Simpsons quartets.

Bulldog

Gave another listen to Jill Crossland's traversal of Bach's WTC last night - fantastic playing.  I've never heard a piano version with such wonderful differentiation of color and texture within each piece.  Makes the listening experience constantly engaging and interesting.

Brian

Quote from: erato on December 05, 2009, 09:34:21 AM
What a beautiful quartet, with Shostakovich and Beethoven stylistic associations within a theme and variations form. I need to seek out more of Simpsons quartets.

If only Robert Simpson had founded a string quartet, and we could call them "The Simpsons"...

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which consists of some Handel and Mozart arias by the late Lucia Popp - a set that just arrived from MDT a few days ago.  What a coloratura soprano Lucia Popp was?  Selections from Handel Messiah sung in German and conducted by Neville Marriner with the Stuttgart Radio Symphonie Orchestra, though not the most natural sounding to the ears of someone who has over 20 versions of this work (all in English except one), are simply spellbinding. 

Papy Oli

Olivier

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 10:35:05 AM
Now playing CD1 from this set, which consists of some Handel and Mozart arias by the late Lucia Popp - a set that just arrived from MDT a few days ago.  What a coloratura soprano Lucia Popp was?  Selections from Handel Messiah sung in German and conducted by Neville Marriner with the Stuttgart Radio Symphonie Orchestra, though not the most natural sounding to the ears of someone who has over 20 versions of this work (all in English except one), are simply spellbinding. 

Yes, yes. That wonderful box knocked me for six too, when I bought one a few months ago. I'm not surprised you're enjoying it.

Lethevich

Quote from: erato on December 05, 2009, 09:34:21 AM

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on December 05, 2009, 10:57:13 AM
Yes, yes. That wonderful box knocked me for six too, when I bought one a few months ago. I'm not surprised you're enjoying it.

Indeed, I first experienced the artistry of Lucia Popp when I bought this CD years ago.  It was only recently that I found out she passed away back in the early 90's.  I love the voice of great sopranos.  For a pretty woman who could sing (like Lucia Popp), that was icing on the cake ...   :)

Coopmv

Now playing this CD from my general keyboard collection - Jill Crossland on fortepiano performing keyboard works by various baroque masters.  Her WTC has really struck me with its freshness in approach among my 15+ versions of WTC.  This CD is no exception, the English Suite No. 3 was performed with great tempi and sensitivity ...