Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Given the prognosis after a stroke or TIA this is definitely a very hopeful sign—working on regaining motor function immediately through the following days goes a long way towards foreclosing the possibility of permanent impairment, and can cut the recovery period from years to months.

My best wishes to Karl and his family for continued improvement. It sounds like he is receiving a high standard of care.

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on November 23, 2018, 01:49:38 AM
Some generally good news from one of Karl's brothers:

My emphasis above: as always, I try to be optimistic!

Definitely good news. Eagerly awaiting for more such.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Good news is most definitely welcome! Let's hope it continues!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Cato

Quote from: amw on November 23, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Given the prognosis after a stroke or TIA this is definitely a very hopeful sign—working on regaining motor function immediately through the following days goes a long way towards foreclosing the possibility of permanent impairment, and can cut the recovery period from years to months.

My best wishes to Karl and his family for continued improvement. It sounds like he is receiving a high standard of care.

I do hope so!  The inability to swallow set off huge bells in my head, because my mother (to be sure, she was 80 years old) lost the swallowing reflex  after a heart operation.  She was supposed to have a therapist work with her on regaining the ability.

Such therapy never came!  When we asked and then complained to the hospital about this, a therapist finally showed up...once!  The hospital then insisted that the therapy did not work and inserted a feeding tube...

...which (I think) contributed to my mother's 3-month decline and her death, because the feeding tube of course became infected at the nursing home, where she was transferred.

Hospitals often do what is convenient for them, and not necessarily proper for the patient.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

The standing up by the bed sounds encouraging - so I'm kind of hanging on to that for the time being and hoping for news, from our devoted reporter Leo, of further improvement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2018, 06:30:18 AM
The standing up by the bed sounds encouraging

Absolutely and so does the fact that he can remember names, apparently even GMG usernames. Let's pray and hope for further improvement!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Recovery will be a long road. At least things are moving in the right direction.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on November 23, 2018, 06:44:43 AM
Absolutely and so does the fact that he can remember names, apparently even GMG usernames. Let's pray and hope for further improvement!

+1
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Cato on November 23, 2018, 04:25:33 AM
I do hope so!  The inability to swallow set off huge bells in my head, because my mother (to be sure, she was 80 years old) lost the swallowing reflex  after a heart operation.  She was supposed to have a therapist work with her on regaining the ability.

Such therapy never came!  When we asked and then complained to the hospital about this, a therapist finally showed up...once!  The hospital then insisted that the therapy did not work and inserted a feeding tube...

...which (I think) contributed to my mother's 3-month decline and her death, because the feeding tube of course became infected at the nursing home, where she was transferred.

Hospitals often do what is convenient for them, and not necessarily proper for the patient.

The swallowing reflex is more complicated than we may imagine. My father, now 93, lost the ability to swallow following radiation for throat cancer. Even with a lot of physical therapy he must now be nourished by a feeding tube.

Does anybody know where Karl is being hospitalized? It is certainly too early now for visitors, but I'm close enough to Boston that I'd consider a trip up there when he's in better shape.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Cato

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 23, 2018, 09:13:55 AM

The swallowing reflex is more complicated than we may imagine. My father, now 93, lost the ability to swallow following radiation for throat cancer. Even with a lot of physical therapy he must now be nourished by a feeding tube.

Does anybody know where Karl is being hospitalized? It is certainly too early now for visitors, but I'm close enough to Boston that I'd consider a trip up there when he's in better shape.

No, I don't know: I will ask his brother for that information.

Brian

I've been following this thread with fear and hope and dismay all mixed up in a cocktail. This latest word about physical therapy starting, showing the beginning of a road back, is very heartening and inspiring. I'm sure that path to recovery won't be a straight line, but I am hopeful that our Karl will be here again some day.

Agree with all the sentiments shared here already.

Cato

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2018, 12:45:10 PM
I've been following this thread with fear and hope and dismay all mixed up in a cocktail. This latest word about physical therapy starting, showing the beginning of a road back, is very heartening and inspiring. I'm sure that path to recovery won't be a straight line, but I am hopeful that our Karl will be here again some day.

Agree with all the sentiments shared here already.

From Karl's wife a few minutes ago:

Today some things are encouraging, some discouraging... in about a week he will be in less danger.

Maria once more sends her appreciation for all the good wishes and prayers!

Papy Oli

Only just seen this awful news. My best wishes to Karl and his wife and family for his full recovery.
Olivier

Cato

Keeping Karl in mind...

I have asked his wife Maria whether he reacts to music: perhaps that has not been tried yet?

I recall the fairly famous story about comedian and cartoon-voice man Mel Blanc, who in the 1960's was in a terrible car crash, which put him into a coma.

For days he was unresponsive to anything.  One day, one of his doctors got the idea to ask him:

"So, Bugs Bunny, how are you doing today?"

And...in the Bugs Bunny voice!...Mel Blanc said: "Ehhh. not so good, Doc!  How about you?" 

Eventually he recovered and went back to work!   8)

Cato

From Maria, Karl's wife:

Thank you for the messages, I tell Karl and I know friends love him, and their attention and concern encourage him to recover. Communication makes me feel that I'm not alone in this tragedy.

Yes, Karl does respond to music. A friend brought a small player and few disks. Karl asked also to bring his speakers so he can listen to music through his phone. He has full reaction to music, knows what pieces sound like and remembers composers. The condition he has now called "neglect" is mostly about his physical condition.

So most of that is good news! 

Florestan

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on November 24, 2018, 07:02:56 AM
From Maria, Karl's wife:

QuoteThe condition he has now called "neglect" is mostly about his physical condition.

Concerning the term "neglect" in stroke victims: it can involve either hemisphere, or both.

Have you seen your stroke survivor leave food on half of their plate? Forget to put their recovering arm into a shirt sleeve? Bump into the door jam with the left side of their wheelchair? Not turn their head in your direction when you speak? If you have noticed any of these things, you've very likely witnessed one-side neglect. (see Possible Causes of One-Side Neglect)

One-side neglect can be very frustrating and is often misunderstood. Neglect is more than not being able to use the recovering side. Think of it as a lack of awareness of that side. This common effect of stroke can reduce the possibility of independent living and increase potential of painful injury. However, there are several things that you can do to help a person improve awareness of their recovering side.
Improving Awareness

Whatever the reason for someone's lack of awareness of one side, everyone (including family members, caregivers, nurses or visiting friends and relatives) can be helpful. Everything you do and how you do it helps improve awareness of the neglected side. Take every opportunity, large or small, to help them "tune in" to that side.

There is some indication that Karl's right hemisphere might be involved with this. 

See:

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/LifeAfterStroke/RegainingIndependence/EmotionalBehavioralChallenges/One-side-Neglect-Improving-Awareness-to-Speed-Recovery_UCM_309735_Article.jsp#

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on November 24, 2018, 08:00:42 AM

Concerning the term "neglect" in stroke victims: it can involve either hemisphere, or both.

There is some indication that Karl's right hemisphere might be involved with this. 

See:

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/LifeAfterStroke/RegainingIndependence/EmotionalBehavioralChallenges/One-side-Neglect-Improving-Awareness-to-Speed-Recovery_UCM_309735_Article.jsp#

According to what we know by now: Karl is conscious, can stand, can recognize names and usernames, can communicate (albeit slowly). This is excellent news and hopefully leaves plenty of room for further improvement. Deo gratias!