Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Karl himself wrote me two little sentences this morning!  "Just a hello" was one of them.

So that was a small piece of hope!  0:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2018, 06:09:09 AM
Karl himself wrote me two little sentences this morning!  "Just a hello" was one of them.

So that was a small piece of hope!  0:)

'Splendid' as Karl himself would say.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Karl sent me a longer note later this morning:

Here at the rehab hospital periodically they play the theme from Rocky and it means that a patient has been discharged. So it's funny because although it's a while since I've seen the movie I recall that Burgess Meredith was the coach and hearing the theme to Rocky just makes me think of The Twilight Zone

I am assuming that Karl typed this himself, which, if so, might show perhaps that his facility in typing with one hand is improving...or simply that he spent a long time composing it.

In either case, again a very hopeful sign!  0:)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2018, 08:37:03 AM

Here at the rehab hospital periodically they play the theme from Rocky and it means that a patient has been discharged. So it's funny because although it's a while since I've seen the movie I recall that Burgess Meredith was the coach and hearing the theme to Rocky just makes me think of The Twilight Zone

I am assuming that Karl typed this himself, which, if so, might show perhaps that his facility in typing with one hand is improving...or simply that he spent a long time composing it.

The fund-raising effort for Karl has broken $4,000!  It's a start!

I have not yet been accepted as a member at that "other" classical music site    ;)  , where Karl is a member!

aligreto

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2018, 12:11:45 PM

I have not yet been accepted as a member at that "other" classical music site    ;)  , where Karl is a member!

I was a member of CMG many years ago but have not visited it in some years. That is, in fact, where I first came upon Karl. I have made an indirect attempt through another member there to get the message to them regarding Karl's situation. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. I did mention Cato's attempt to make contact. We will see.

Florestan

+ 1
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on December 05, 2018, 12:11:45 PM

The fund-raising effort for Karl has broken $4,000!  It's a start!

Leo, I just posted a thread there explaining the situation and including the link to Facebook which you posted above. Hopefully it will get some attention.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 05, 2018, 01:07:01 PM
Leo, I just posted a thread there explaining the situation and including the link to Facebook which you posted above. Hopefully it will get some attention.

8)

Aha!  Great!  Let's hope for a good response!

vandermolen

+2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

knight66

Cato, Thanks for taking on the communication back and forth. I know from things happening in my own family that the burden on the partner to keep all and sundry informed is a heavy and time consuming one.

It was encouraging to see his message, no impairment of his sense of humour.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

zamyrabyrd

Yikes, I had no idea! Speedy recovery, Pal!

My husband had a stroke in January, 2013, but has remained mobile.
He still insists on smoking, which of course constricts blood vessels.
Reduce stress by all means, avoid high blood pressure.
We're waiting for you to get better (so I can argue politics with you again).

Best wishes,
Janet, the "zamyra-byrd" or "singing- byrd"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Cato

I received a message today from Maria: I will quote part it and summarize the rest.

Karl is significantly better, his speech improved and he's able to use a bit the speech to text feature for messages. Big progress. Some simple things are still a challenge for Karl, but all doctors I spoke with say he'll need 3-4 months to get somewhat to normal and a year to really recover. Everyone underlines the importance of continuing therapy. Yes, $4000 is a good start, although today the case manager gave me updated pricing for the next step facility it's $250-750 per day (!) depending on the facility.   

(My emphasis above.)

So Karl is not really typing anything yet, but his speech is clear enough for the machine to type it for him, which is an excellent sign.

The $4,000. refers to the fund-raising effort via FaceBook.

Their insurance has a deductible level, after which the company will pay a partial amount for Karl's treatment.  As to how much?  She gets a different answer from the bureaucrats every time she calls them! 

That is not unlike the test of the Internal Revenue Service done every so often by The Wall Street Journal: the reporters have a series of basic questions on federal taxes, and call the bureau c. 50 times over a few months with the same questions.

The answers, of course, are all over the place!  ;)

Anyway, yes, a long slow recovery, although nothing was indicated about the left-side paralysis.  His left arm is a "dead weight" right now.

zamyrabyrd

Can he read messages from here, or at least have someone to read to him?

Zb
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Cato

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on December 06, 2018, 04:17:20 AM
Can he read messages from here, or at least have someone to read to him?

Zb

No idea: since he has not yet come to write anything, I would say no.  I have an impression that he only has his phone, so perhaps there is a link from his phone to Facebook and e-mail account but not to the Internet (is that possible?).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Cato on December 06, 2018, 06:14:35 AM
No idea: since he has not yet come to write anything, I would say no.  I have an impression that he only has his phone, so perhaps there is a link from his phone to Facebook and e-mail account but not to the Internet (is that possible?).

I seem to recall that he uses an app (Tapatalk?) to access the site from his phone. I suspect that he has focused on facebook because a broader spectrum of his friends and acquaintances are there (including a lot of the people here).

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on December 06, 2018, 06:26:10 AM
I seem to recall that he uses an app (Tapatalk?) to access the site from his phone. I suspect that he has focused on facebook because a broader spectrum of his friends and acquaintances are there (including a lot of the people here).

I seem to remember him saying that Tapatalk has not worked with GMG since the Server Switch.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on December 06, 2018, 06:59:58 AM
I seem to remember him saying that Tapatalk has not worked with GMG since the Server Switch.

I think you're right about that, but I have no trouble using the site on a phone even without Tapatalk (whatever that is). The mobile version works quite well (on my phone, at least). I don't think Karl would have given up on the phone so easily.

Marc

Damn.
I missed this worrying news... that's what happens when you're no longer a true regular.

I keep my fingers crossed for a complete recovery.
All the best to you, Karl!

The new erato

New to me as well. Devastating news, hoping for a happy ending.