Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on January 25, 2019, 10:32:46 AM
Karl, thanks for sharing.....

Note on landlines:  in any area where the electric power goes off for an extended period, whether from windstorm, flood, or anything else,  cell phone towers will not operate once their back up batteries use up their stored power.  Meaning cell phone service in those areas will not be available until the power comes back on.

Modern land lines do not offer a real advantage. Almost all land lines now are some sort of digital system and there is a battery pack in the telephone box in your basement or on the side of the building which will keep it running for some time after power is lost, then it goes kaput.

North Star

Quote from: André on January 25, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
Thanks for sharing, Karl. I'm struck by how impaired talking (to oneself or other) may be a telltale sign of a serious health issue.

A good time for everyone to read this, I think.
https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/signs_symptoms.htm
QuoteStroke Signs and Symptoms

Sudden severe headache with no known cause is a stroke sign in men and women.
During a stroke, every minute counts! Fast treatment can lessen the brain damage that stroke can cause.
By knowing the signs and symptoms of stroke, you can take quick action and perhaps save a life—maybe even your own.

Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or difficulty understanding speech
Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance, or lack of coordination
Sudden severe headache with no known cause

Call 9-1-1 right away if you or someone else has any of these symptoms.

Acting F.A.S.T. Is Key for Stroke

When someone is having a stroke, every minute counts. Just as putting out a fire quickly can stop it from spreading, treating a stroke quickly can reduce damage to the brain. If you learn how to recognize the telltale signs of a stroke, you can act quickly and save a life—maybe even your own.
Acting F.A.S.T. can help stroke patients get the treatments they desperately need. The stroke treatments that work best are available only if the stroke is recognized and diagnosed within 3 hours of the first symptoms. Stroke patients may not be eligible for these if they don't arrive at the hospital in time.

If you think someone may be having a stroke, act F.A.S.T. and do the following simple test:

F—Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
A—Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
S—Speech: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is the speech slurred or strange?
T—Time: If you see any of these signs, call 9-1-1 right away.

As for the phone, maybe just have a spare mobile with big buttons on it.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: North Star on January 25, 2019, 10:45:12 AMAs for the phone, maybe just have a spare mobile with big buttons on it.

Yes, a smartphone is problematic because of the intricate gestures needed to navigate to the phone dialing feature. With an iPhone you can summon Siri and say "Dial 911" but that may be little help if speech is badly affected.

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 25, 2019, 10:44:15 AM
Modern land lines do not offer a real advantage. Almost all land lines now are some sort of digital system and there is a battery pack in the telephone box in your basement or on the side of the building which will keep it running for some time after power is lost, then it goes kaput.

Perhaps old technology is better...I've lost power after hurricanes for up to one week, and never lost landphone service even after cell service went down.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on January 25, 2019, 11:01:14 AM
Perhaps old technology is better...I've lost power after hurricanes for up to one week, and never lost landphone service even after cell service went down.

My previous land line battery would last about 2-3 days. Traditional phones were powered by the telephone wires themselves, but haven't lived in a place that offered that technology for a long time.

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 25, 2019, 05:56:45 AM
How my adventure began
In the wee hours of 20 November I stepped to the loo, I was standing there and I saw a kind of starburst, and I felt the sense of balance pass away from my lower body I fell forward, hitting my head on an inside corner of the wall, and fell to the bathroom floor.
I tried stepping out of the bathroom into the kitchen and collapsed on the floor; the evening before I had draped a Woolen coat over the back of a kitchen chair in my collapse I dragged this to the floor with me I found myself lying prone on the Woolen coat, and felt the cold kitchen floor beneath I felt comfortable and had the thought well perhaps I could rest here and get a little sleep; which, in hindsight, would have been a terrible.mistake.
But I thought if I'm going to lie flat and try to get some rest, I want to go back to the bed, so I made my way back to the bedroom crawling on hands and knees;while I was doing this I tried reciting a text we had sung in the recent Triad concerts, and I heard my speech slurring in my ear. So as I crawled I had a very powerful sense that I needed serious medical attention
I got back to the bed I found my cell phone, I futzed with it a bit but was unable to use it to call, however I reached for the landline and dialed 9-1-1 there is a firehouse just at the core end of the street, so their response was very rapid, they brought me to the hospital and there the journey began

Your ability to stay cool and do what was needed despite what was happening to you is an admirable sign of strength. I'm sure that strength will continue to serve you well.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pat B

How my adventure began
In the wee hours of 20 November I stepped to the loo, I was standing there and I saw a kind of starburst, and I felt the sense of balance pass away from my lower body I fell forward, hitting my head on an inside corner of the wall, and fell to the bathroom floor.
I tried stepping out of the bathroom into the kitchen and collapsed on the floor; the evening before I had draped a Woolen coat over the back of a kitchen chair in my collapse I dragged this to the floor with me I found myself lying prone on the Woolen coat, and felt the cold kitchen floor beneath I felt comfortable and had the thought well perhaps I could rest here and get a little sleep; which, in hindsight, would have been a terrible.mistake.
But I thought if I'm going to lie flat and try to get some rest, I want to go back to the bed, so I made my way back to the bedroom crawling on hands and knees;while I was doing this I tried reciting a text we had sung in the recent Triad concerts, and I heard my speech slurring in my ear. So as I crawled I had a very powerful sense that I needed serious medical attention
I got back to the bed I found my cell phone, I futzed with it a bit but was unable to use it to call, however I reached for the landline and dialed 9-1-1 there is a firehouse just at the core end of the street, so their response was very rapid, they brought me to the hospital and there the journey began

Thanks for sharing. It's scary to think about how many slight changes could have prevented you from getting to the hospital.

I am glad to hear your recovery is going well.

vandermolen

Thanks for sharing this Karl.

I never knew that Americans used the word 'Loo' I always thought that was characteristically British.

I've always argued with my wife about maintaining a landline (not to mention my CD collection 8))

The fact that your doctor has said that a full recovery is on the cards is wonderful news.

All strength to you my friend.

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Thanks, friends!

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2019, 05:32:48 AM
Thanks for sharing this Karl.

I never knew that Americans used the word 'Loo' I always thought that was characteristically British.

Jeffrey
I think this remains substantially true
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

After all, Boston is the unofficial capital of New England. :D

Mirror Image

How my adventure began

Wow....that's all I can really muster up the energy to say at the moment. You were incredibly fortunate to be able to react and get help in that condition. Someone was certainly watching over you, my friend. I'm sure you're counting your blessings. I was worried about you, but I knew that you were doing okay once I've read Cato's updates on your progress. Here's to continued improvement and hoping you can get back to the things you love doing and to the life you were living.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 26, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
Yes, of course. I was forgetting that!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: André on January 26, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
Well,"New" England, "New" Mexico... the "New" pretty much killed it.  :P
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

André

Quote from: springrite on January 27, 2019, 12:43:23 PM
Well,"New" England, "New" Mexico... the "New" pretty much killed it.  :P

Of course. Like Nouvelle-France, for example  :D

Rons_talking

It's great to see you writing and sharing the harrowing story. You stayed cool under a terrible strain. Keep up the recovery; GMC needs you!

Karl Henning

Thanks!

Recently began to get a very little control of the left pinkie. 2nd &3rd fingers still want to move together but they are getting looser. Progress
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 29, 2019, 06:12:16 AM
Thanks!

Recently began to get a very little control of the left pinkie. 2nd &3rd fingers still want to move together but they are getting looser. Progress
Can't wait till the middle finger can move independently. That might come in handy sometimes.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 29, 2019, 06:12:16 AM
Thanks!

Hopefully, you'll recover your 'live long and prosper' sign in no time! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

springrite

My Dad, age 81, just left the hospital two days ago after successful surgery for cancer of the intestines. He is cancer free and very optimistic as he starts his recovery.
Karl, you WILL recover and be (almost) as good as new! Believe!