Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on February 09, 2019, 06:27:30 AM
Karl has reported that he will attend a TRIAD Choir rehearsal this morning! 

I find that to be very encouraging news!  0:)

Actually a workshop/performance at Curry College.
In the workshop, I did do a little singing and sight reading, which was rather rough on my part, but nevertheless felt great.
The Curry College Choir and Triad shared the concert after the workshop. And the men of Triad sang It Might Happen Today. Triad founding member David Harris,
Who had served as a clinician during the workshop joined Triad for this, and actually basically site Reddit for the performance, which is one of the bravest things I think I've known any singer to do. Two Tenors who have joined Triad since the November concerts also sang the piece. It was very gratifying to be there, I was the recipient of many many warm hugs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 09, 2019, 02:08:43 PM
In the workshop, I did do a little singing and sight reading, which was rather rough on my part, but nevertheless felt great.
The Curry College Choir and Triad shared the concert after the workshop. And the men of Triad sang It Might Happen Today. Triad founding member David Harris,
Who had served as a clinician during the workshop joined Triad for this, and actually basically site Readit for the performance, which is one of the bravest things I think I've known any singer to do. Two Tenors who have joined Triad since the November concerts also sang the piece. It was very gratifying to be there, I was the recipient of many many warm hugs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

vandermolen

Who had served as a clinician during the workshop joined Triad for this, and actually basically site Reddit for the performance, which is one of the bravest things I think I've known any singer to do. Two Tenors who have joined Triad since the November concerts also sang the piece. It was very gratifying to be there, I was the recipient of many many warm hugs.

Excellent Karl  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

Good stuff.

Mirror Image

Great stuff, Karl. 8)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: North Star on February 10, 2019, 09:08:12 AM
Great news!

Karl - great to hear that you are 'up and about' - hoping for further improvement and good news!  8)  Dave

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Rons_talking

This is amazing!!

Karl Henning

This is the as-yet-tentative program for Triad's spring concerts:

It will be interesting to see if they go forward with programming It Might Happen Today, again.
In general, they want to, because it is felt that we can do an even better job than on the November concerts.

Innocence
*Julian Bryson--To Youth
Karl Henning--It Might Happen Today (or another TB piece, still looking)

Love
Chen Yi--A Set of Chinese Folk Songs (Fengyang Song, The Flowing Stream, Thinking of My Darling)

Poetry
Avrohom Leichtling--Madrigals, Book III:  2. Song of Derivations and 4. A Comparison... (MIDI)

History (Politics?)
Charles Turner--Madrigals (The Queen's History)
Julian Bryson--e pluribus unum (Hope Like Gold)

ca. 24 minutes

Intermission

Meditation
Karl Henning--Alleluia

Nature
*Saunder Choi--Vere Novo (Soprano/Alto Only)
*Pamela Marshall--Songs from a Quaker Heart (Life in Conjunction, Leaves, Spring Sunlight)
Charles Turner--Madrigals (It Is Snowing)

Wind
Charles Turner--Madrigals (Not Only Leaves)
*Eric Whitacre--Little Man in a Hurry (Bootlegged Draft Score)

ca. 25 minutes

* denotes pieces with piano accompaniment

There is also room for 1 or 2 solos, so if you have something that would fit the theme of Madrigals and would provide a nice contrast somewhere along the way, let me know!  I suggest that preference go to those who didn't sing a solo on our last concert, but all suggestions are welcome.

If you absolutely hate this, let me know ASAP!  I'm always open to suggestions.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Good OT session this morning. , the therapist confirmed what I have been feeling over the weekend: that the left arm is doing better with extension and that I've been getting more motion out of the left fingers
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 19, 2019, 07:20:21 AM
Good OT session this morning. , the therapist confirmed what I have been feeling over the weekend: that the left arm is doing better with extension and that I've been getting more motion out of the left fingers

Tickling Miss Clara Nette might be their next task?!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on February 19, 2019, 08:17:12 AM
Tickling Miss Clara Nette might be their next task?!   0:)

As yet that remains futurism, my hand is not yet able even to assemble the clarinet. However, I have been thinking about making some plaintive noises on a cheap recorder that I have around
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

pjme

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 19, 2019, 09:47:19 AM
As yet that remains futurism, my hand is not yet able even to assemble the clarinet. However, I have been thinking about making some plaintive noises on a cheap recorder that I have around

Baby steps!  "Plaintive noises" could be right up there with - YES! - atonal honking!    0:)

When was the last time GMG had a good "atonal honking" debate?!   ;)

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2019, 10:05:12 AM
May mr. Händel inspire you:

https://www.youtube.com/v/lyv4bkyHt-Q

Excellent!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Half of my OT this morning was exercise with clips and clothespins, and flipping playing cards. This went much better today than the last time, both in terms of the fingers cooperating, and the hand functioning as a whole. And tomorrow I'll have another great session with the electric stim, and I'll make even more progress over the weekend.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA