Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

karlhenning

Quote from: John on February 24, 2010, 08:55:18 AM
Is the concert being recorded?

I'll have my device.  Not sure if it's being recorded otherwise.

karlhenning

Rehearsal was very nice.  The performance is unlikely to be perfect, but then (a) if I had wanted to hear it done perfectly right the first or second time, I should have written an easier piece, and (b) it's an honor to have the piece selected for this special event, and there are practical reasons why rehearsal time has been limited.

My own wee Microtrack II made a nice debut, and I have sound.  I'll need to perform slight operations in order to make it available . . . will try to see to that tomorrow.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 24, 2010, 08:27:04 PM
Rehearsal was very nice.  The performance is unlikely to be perfect, but then (a) if I had wanted to hear it done perfectly right the first or second time, I should have written an easier piece, and (b) it's an honor to have the piece selected for this special event, and there are practical reasons why rehearsal time has been limited.

My own wee Microtrack II made a nice debut, and I have sound.  I'll need to perform slight operations in order to make it available . . . will try to see to that tomorrow.

Just wanting to wish you good luck for the performance tomorrow, Karl. And if you do get a recording up and running somehow, I'd be very glad of the chance to listen.

karlhenning

mahler10th

QuoteMy own wee Microtrack II made a nice debut, and I have sound.  I'll need to perform slight operations in order to make it available . . . will try to see to that tomorrow.

This is great news.  I hope the slight operations are successful.
:)

karlhenning

Do I remember how this is done?
No, maybe it's code that has changed . . . but here's the URL:

http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/op78feb10rehearsal.mp3

mahler10th

Thanks.  I am having a listen.   0:)

karlhenning

Thank you for listening gently!

Elgarian

Listening to it now for the third time. Bear in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about, won't you?

I'm surprised by how readily I'm willing to accept it - so far out of my usual listening ruts. What I find most difficult is the organ, but I wonder if that's a recording problem: the bass notes seem to be unpleasantly obtrusive sometimes. But the singing is something else again. There's a sort of hypnotic, tidal, wavelike quality to it, with the sound of the voices sweeping in and out like ripples of water on a beach. Some of the things the female voices are doing are really quite thrilling - there's a passage of just a few notes at about 2.00 minutes which quite makes me catch my breath, it's so beautiful. Unearthly.

For someone like me, the length is just right. It's long enough to become immersed in it, and short enough to be able to keep replaying it in the hope of digging deeper. Thanks a lot for this Karl,- I'm rather cheered up to find I can actually listen to music like this and really get something worthwhile out of it instead of just being baffled.

karlhenning

Thank you, from my heart, Alan.

The recording may well be at fault . . . it's threadbare equipment in whose use I am not expert.  Could partly be that the group of singers is smaller than I should normally expect for the piece (though they are a good group of singers, and their sound is larger than you expect for six people).

karlhenning

Lethevich

It's awesome - I'll be the first to put some money down if a professional CD of your choral music is released. The setting I most admire is Pärt's, but this is a nice foil to that - the Pärt dirges quite impressively, this floats in a late Renaissance way, but with a more interesting tonality.

It's quite cool how some of your music takes that I like about John Tavener (anti-plush choral music), but not what I dislike (the poppy qualities, the sentimentality).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

karlhenning

There IS a chap here to record the concert. I can just relax & enjoy myself!  I may take a "field recording" anyway, for the sake of instant gratification

MN Dave

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 26, 2010, 02:50:21 PM
There IS a chap here to record the concert.

Excellent news. Hope it went well!

karlhenning

jochanaan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 25, 2010, 12:54:47 PM
Do I remember how this is done?
No, maybe it's code that has changed . . . but here's the URL:

http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/op78feb10rehearsal.mp3

Listened to this on a friend's computer--I'm still dealing with 56k dialup on mine, so it's not worth trying to listen to extended files like this on it.  Unfortunately the friend's computer's tiny speakers didn't give me much of the organ pedal, so I'm afraid I can't give you an adequate response just yet...but what I heard sounded very nice. :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 27, 2010, 12:25:45 PM
Visually, I am surely no James Cameron, but . . . .

Karl, beautiful piece...and moving. Love your cinematic minimalism too  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"