Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Ah the marvels of the Internet(s).

My ol' clarinet teacher posts rarely to fb, but she did recently, about upcoming concerts she is playing with a trio (cl/vn/pf).  So, I pinged her with an e-mail message asking if I'd sent her any Henningmusick of that scoring.

She wrote back (with marvelous economy), No. Can you?  So, last night I managed to find pdf files I had already prepared of Night of the Weeping Crocodiles & Mirage.  I don't know why I don't already have pdf's of Fragments of « Morning Has Broken » . . . but I quickly found the source Finale files both for Fragments, and for my arrangement of the Sibelius Valse triste.  Sent them all to Nancy last night.

Got word from her this morning that she will be meeting with the Gang of Three on Friday, and they'll do some reading.

karlhenning

Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 12:15pm

WEDNESDAYS AT THE CATHEDRAL PRESENTS
Out in the Moon:  The k a rl h e nn i ng Ensemble

Peter H. Bloom, flute
Paul Cienniwa, harpsichord, piano
Karl Henning, clarinet
The Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont St., Boston, MA 02111

Karl Henning:  Lunar Glare, Opus 98
Henning:  All the Birds in Mondrian's Garden, Opus 97 № 2
Henning:  Swivels & Bops, Opus 97 № 3
Henning:  Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a

Free will donation

karlhenning

KING'S CHAPEL PRESENTS (http://kings-chapel.org/music2.html)
Music of Karl Henning

Peter H. Bloom, flute
Karl Henning, clarinet
King's Chapel
Corner of School & Tremont Streets, Boston, MA 02108

Karl Henning:  Irreplaceable Doodles, Opus 89
Henning:  Here You Go / Hear You Go, Opus 101
Henning:  Heedless Watermelon, Opus 97 № 1
Henning:  All the Birds in Mondrian's Garden, Opus 97 № 2

A suggested donation of $3 is requested at the door. These programs are supported by individual donations.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 27, 2010, 09:29:02 AM
This is the one that will bring the house down.

greg

Man, I wish I could be there.

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on April 27, 2010, 12:36:57 PM
This is the one that will bring the house down.

The flutist, Peter Bloom, has responded very warmly to it . . . we had a great time rehearsing it yesterday.  He said, leaving the sentence open-ended, "If the audience doesn't have as much fun listening to this as we have, playing it . . ."

". . . Jack, they dead," I offered.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 28, 2010, 03:53:12 AM
The flutist, Peter Bloom, has responded very warmly to it . . . we had a great time rehearsing it yesterday.  He said, leaving the sentence open-ended, "If the audience doesn't have as much fun listening to this as we have, playing it . . ."

". . . Jack, they dead," I offered.

As a famous man once said: 'As long as I have blood in my veins and breath in my lungs, I shall continue to swivel and bop with the best of them.'

Is there any chance of a recording, Karl?

karlhenning

I'll have my shoestring field recorder, Alan.

For the 21 June concert, though, my friend Shauna is available to make a proper recording.

Franco

Good to see more Henningmusick is being performed. 

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 28, 2010, 12:14:52 PM
I'll have my shoestring field recorder, Alan.

For the 21 June concert, though, my friend Shauna is available to make a proper recording.

Hoorah!

karlhenning

Hearty thanks, Franco & Alan!

Rehearsing again with Peter this afternoon . . . more swivelling and bopping is indicated.

karlhenning

A short piece suited to a contemplative opening voluntary, my Canticle of St Nicholas for organ solo is now available at Lux Nova Press.

karlhenning

Rehearsing Lunar Glare and the Fragments of « Morning Has Broken » this afternoon.

karlhenning

Rehearsal went very nicely.  I still need to practice some passages, though . . . .

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 04, 2010, 03:40:32 PM
Rehearsal went very nicely.  I still need to practice some passages, though . . . .
I sincerely hope that swivels will not be in short measure, and that allocation of bops will be generous.

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on May 06, 2010, 12:36:50 PM
I sincerely hope that swivels will not be in short measure, and that allocation of bops will be generous.

We'll do what in musical jargon is known as our darnedest!

Out in the Moon

The k a rl h e nn i ng Ensemble

Peter H. Bloom, flute
Paul Cienniwa, harpsichord, piano
Karl Henning, clarinet

Music of Karl Henning:

Lunar Glare, Opus 98 — première
All the Birds in Mondrian's Cage, Opus 97 № 2
Swivels & Bops, Opus 97 № 3 — première
Fragments of « Morning Has Broken », Opus 64a

Wednesday, 12 May
12:15PM

The Cathedral Church of St Paul
138 Tremont Street, Boston
(near the Park St 'T')

karlhenning

Great news is just in yesterday & today.  Having reviewed the MIDI sound-files of both Mirage & Night of the Weeping Crocodiles, the crack violinist (friend of a friend) has signed on for the 21 June concert.  And my friend Shauna is available and on board for recording the proceedings.

Now that all the desired pieces of the puzzle are in alignment, the Henningmusick to be featured at this gala event will be:

Gaze Transfixt (pf solo)
Lutosławski's Lullaby (pf solo)
Heedless Watermelon (fl/cl)
All the Birds in Mondrian's Cage (fl/cl)
Swivels & Bops (fl/cl)
Lunar Glare (cl/hpschd)
Mirage (cl/vn/pf)
Night of the Weeping Crocodiles (cl/vn/pf)

. . . and a scene from White Nights arranged for the six of us (fl/cl/vn/gtr/hpschd/pf).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 08, 2010, 05:50:42 AM
Great news is just in yesterday & today.  Having reviewed the MIDI sound-files of both Mirage & Night of the Weeping Crocodiles, the crack violinist (friend of a friend) has signed on for the 21 June concert.  And my friend Shauna is available and on board for recording the proceedings.

Great news indeed for those of us who can't attend the concert. A recording!  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Elgarian

During the last few days, I have managed to gather together a small swatch of swivels and a big batch of bops - purely to meet any emergency that might arise on the run up to the first performance, you understand. They are not, I must admit, of the highest quality, but should there be even the slightest doubt about the sufficiency of s- and b- items, let me know and I'll email them to you (provided I can find suitable swivel and bop compressing software).

Signed on behalf of
The Elgarian We-Are-Determined-To-Help Service