Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on May 12, 2010, 02:08:13 PM
Veni, swivi, bopi. . .
Glorious!

This raises the possibility of a whole new level of Latin bopswivistic discourse! I've almost completely forgotten the little Latin I knew, but for some reason I've always remembered a completely inconsequential sentence from a Latin primer about a cock crowing, and 'the boy Sextus' getting out of bed. I now see that this had a purpose after all, waiting for completion and fulfilment thus:

"Mane gallus canit et swivit, et puer Sextus e lecto surgit, et bopit."

secondwind

karlhenning

In a ponderously improbable turn of events, the pianist who will be taking part in the 21 June Henningmusick event has asked if I am available to play a recital this Sunday, and if I'd like to play Brahms.  I've played both sonatas, but it's been some little while.  The idea of playing both sonatas on the same program is too delicious not to take up.

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on May 13, 2010, 04:22:06 AM
Swiveto ergo sum. :D
I think Descartes would be proud of this new development of his conclusions, though I believe current philosophical thinking would be less certain of deducing the existence of a swiveller, and would replace that with something along the lines of 'There is swivelling going on'. (Similarly the existence of bopping doesn't, I suppose, imply the existence of bopsters as entities, per se.)

See what infinite fields of inquiry we've been led into, by a piece of music we haven't even heard yet?

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2010, 05:19:04 AM
The idea of playing both sonatas on the same program is too delicious not to take up.
We want to hear them, and we want it NOW.

secondwind

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2010, 05:19:04 AM
In a ponderously improbable turn of events, the pianist who will be taking part in the 21 June Henningmusick event has asked if I am available to play a recital this Sunday, and if I'd like to play Brahms.  I've played both sonatas, but it's been some little while.  The idea of playing both sonatas on the same program is too delicious not to take up.
What wonderful music!  Lucky audience!  And Karl, you've got three whole days to get them ready--what will you do with all that time?   I assume that since the pianist suggested Brahms, she must know the sonatas well.  Have fun.

Scarpia

Quote from: secondwind on May 13, 2010, 08:05:55 AM
What wonderful music!  Lucky audience!  And Karl, you've got three whole days to get them ready--what will you do with all that time?   I assume that since the pianist suggested Brahms, she must know the sonatas well.  Have fun.

Have the viola sonatas been transcribed for clarinet?

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on May 13, 2010, 08:50:44 AM
Have the viola sonatas been transcribed for clarinet?

You've got it reversed. (Or, good jest!)

karlhenning

Quote from: secondwind on May 13, 2010, 08:05:55 AM

Had a great time rehearsing today.  I feel that it is a triumph, that I can play the two sonatas through, and still have chops ; )

secondwind

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2010, 11:34:22 AM
Had a great time rehearsing today.  I feel that it is a triumph, that I can play the two sonatas through, and still have chops ; )
Chops and bops!  Multi-talented!

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on May 13, 2010, 11:56:56 AM
Chops and bops!  Multi-talented!
Not to mention swivels and swonatas.

karlhenning

Yes, even after a full afternoon (as it felt) of rehearsing both of the Brahms Opus 120 sonatas . . . I practiced again later this afternoon with Peter Bloom, and we coasted through the Swivels & Bops very tidily.

greg

secondwind

Happy Brahmsing tomorrow, Karl.

karlhenning

Thanks!  Rehearsal today was great fun, yet again.

karlhenning

And now, to play along as part of a service (music to include my Canzona & Gigue, though).

karlhenning

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2010, 09:50:13 AM
Brahms in 10 mins.
Sounds like you're going to be playing it way too fast ....

secondwind

Was it a breakfast recital? 

secondwind

No, I see I've led astray by a time zone difference.  So, how did it go?