Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

(Strange, I thought I had linked ReverbNation . . . try again.)

At this point I do not expect that Eric Mazonson will wish me to make the Brahms Sonatas available publicly.  So rather than create an event at Instant Encore just for the encore we played that Sunday (the Tropes on Parasha's Aria from White Nights), I have added that mp3 to my ReverbNation profile.

Elgarian

Listening to Swivels and Bops now for the second time, as I write this. Initial reaction is strange, as if there are two listeners rather than one. The first listener panics a bit and keeps saying, wait, wait, that's out of tune and this is out of tune, and in any case where is the tune? I need something to hang onto. But the second listener, who seems to be the one who controls my smiling muscles, finds it all pretty good fun, and finds himself conjuring up images of people on busy streets, dodging traffic. Then in the closing half minute there's a feeling of descent ending with a plop - similar sort of feeling to that Enigma Variation about the bulldog jumping into the water, but more gently humorous.

So it's strange, having these two responses running parallel to each other. Is it normal, I wonder? Which one is me? Whatever the answer is, I think this is good for me, Karl. And it's a great title.

karlhenning

I often have parallel listeners, so you aren't alone, Alan -- whether it's normal . . . .

Glad you're enjoying the piece!  It's the one piece which was included on all four programs, so (and we already know not to be worried that none of the four outings yet was perfect) there will be observations of swivels from several swivelling angles.

Many thanks!

karlhenning

I should probably fear to publish these performances, rough as they are in (many) spots . . . but we played enough events these past two months, that I can let a few roughs stride alongside the smooth.  Audio from the 18 May event is up.

karlhenning

Peter & I rushed the Birds . . . not a fatal misstep, perhaps . . . wonder what running time Nicole & I brought it in at? . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 01, 2010, 07:18:07 AM
And thanks for reminding me of that Wuorinen Trio, which (strange to tell) I don't think I've ever heard!  Must rectify that instanter.

Done.  Great piece!

Saul

Karl, I saw a few clips of you on youtube playing  the clarinet with a woman in someone's house.

Must have been loads of fun...

It sure looked like it was...

karlhenning

It's always fun to play.  Possibly the reason we use the verb play.

Saul

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2010, 03:50:36 PM
It's always fun to play.  Possibly the reason we use the verb play.

You're a playa... :) :D

karlhenning

karlhenning

Tolerable degree of consistency in the pace of Swivels & Bops, really.  Timings for three of the four performances are:

3:38 (12 May)
3:27 (18 May)
3:40 (22 June)

We do not yet have audio for the 21 June concert.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 08, 2010, 06:45:15 AM
Tolerable degree of consistency in the pace of Swivels & Bops, really.  Timings for three of the four performances are:

3:38 (12 May)
3:27 (18 May)
3:40 (22 June)

We do not yet have audio for the 21 June concert.

Not surprised that Peter & I were able to take it on the faster side (12 & 18 May) than Nicole & I;  Peter & I had had the benefit of at least three rehearsals (and the 18 May performance, the additional benefit of the previous performance).  Nicole & I didn't rehearse the piece until th day of our first performance together (21 June).

karlhenning

Sign My Snarling Movie is on its way!

(All right, that was OT.)

karlhenning

Standing here on 34th St, waiting for the Bolt Bus which will ferry me back to the Town of the Pulse. Just had a lovely breakfast with Bruce.

bhodges

I enjoyed it, too, Karl!  (And glad you made it on time!)  I hope all the degenerate music we listened to didn't turn your brain into mush.  ;D

--Bruce

karlhenning

If it did, I rely on you gents to alert me (with all possible discretion). And now I am on board!  Was a long queue, but my ticket turned out to be a sort of priority seating. Sweet!

karlhenning

Even while I am at work on the viola sonata, I am plotting the next piece . . . I've about done selecting texts for a cantata for soprano, mezzo, recorder, alto flute & harpsichord.

Luke

Well, the instrumentation sounds enchanting! - will you divulge the texts?

karlhenning

Probably tomorrow . . . still mulling one matter . . . .

karlhenning

Some work on the viola sonata on the bus ride in. Slow and steady . . . .