Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Weird, having The Shed boarded up.  Is the Bridge still in there?  Has it been consumed in the immolation?  What will Dave think of the Shostakovich Cello Concerti?  Have I just been watching "Captain Fantastic" on Do Not Adjust Your Set?

I did some editing of past posts, to delete outstripped PDFs of Suspension Bridge and save server space.

karlhenning

What a pleasure to meet with Dana at last!  He plays beautifully, has an instrument with a splendid voice, and is enthusiastic for the piece, nearly as enthusiastic as I am, myself!

I had a dozen practical, detail-oriented questions, to sort out which it was of invaluable ease that we met in person.

Now, some little work folding that information into the scores of Fair Warning & Suspension Bridge . . . and then on to completion of Tango in Boston!

karlhenning

Right ho.  Possibly the scores of Fair Warning & Suspension Bridge (In Dave's Shed) are now truly complete!

I think I'll just leave the staves at their present size for the second movement (the piano isn't too small, is it?)  My problem is that in some files (and Suspension Bridge is one of them), Sibelius freezes on me when I go to the Document Setup page (wonder how I'd search for the fix for that on their website?)

Back at the time when the Bridge acquired its Shedly mystique, I also had a new 'subtitle' for Tango in Boston . . . which I've forgotten (so it cannot be important, I suppose).  I'm vacillating between leaving it as is, and a 'new' new subtitle.

Oh, yes!  And I've got an mp3 of Suspension Bridge . . . though it's less successful than that for Fair Warning (not that I could consider that mp3 a great success, mind you).  If anyone wants a listen to that mp3, pleased advise, I am at your service.

karlhenning

Thank you, sir!

I've actually got a wav file which I need to convert to an mp3 . . . I'm just re-booting the desktop, which was a bit sluggish just now.  I shall see to that shortly.

karlhenning

I'll have that mp3 tomorrow . . . I had fun re-building [much of] that old trunk of Tango in Boston in Sibelius tonight. Paul Revere at Hora Cero . . . .

Luke

Me too.... btw Karl, I don't know if I could open your file on my old Sib 3, but I'd be willing to try, to see if I could do something about the stave sizes.

karlhenning

I can "back-save" it to 3, and we can see how it flies . . . .

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Tweaking the wav file e'en now. Stand by. (Curiously, or not, the slowest part of the process is compression to the mp3.)

And thank you — I am grateful for you chaps' kind interest!

karlhenning

Hmm, even the resulting mp3 file was (just) too large (I think) to try to upload. The "quick-&-dirty" solution seemed to be, to break it up into two "halves" . . . but then, the piece presses on practically without a break for most of its span.  (Well, there a caesura where the violist takes a 'breath' between the end of a pizz. phrase, and the start of the moto perpetuo, but . . . .)

karlhenning

Latest (last?) version of Suspension Bridge:

karlhenning

Latest (last?) version of Fair Warning:

karlhenning

I've finished re-creating the old Tango in Boston (the old score here) in Sibelius, and have already made emendations and additions.  Tying it in with the earlier movements has been almost effortless, even the old "raw" score had elements common to Suspension Bridge, in particular.  The attached is not finished, of course . . . I still have little more than the basso ostinato at m49ff.  But the end of the piece is near!

karlhenning

I'm in that state where, I'm not sure that what it needs is just a slight adjustment here, and there, or what it needs is for me to just throw out the past two days of work . . . but I have apparently reached the final double-bar.

karlhenning

So, at a quarter to five, I was in that sort of queasy doubt when the ink is not yet dry.

At eight, I've made some minor adjustments . . . I'm a bit closer to consenting that it may be done.  I'll sleep on it yet.

(I'll go ahead and delete the 4:45pm file.)

karlhenning

I need still to add a dynamic marking here and there, but by and large, I think I'll take it.

I almost wonder if I want to alter the very ending slightly — almost, because I am simultaneously wondering if I am "dreaming up" things that "want" changing.

karlhenning

Luke, are we ready for more harmonics notation turbulence? ; )

I'm inclined to leave it as is (as Dana appeared to suffer no question about it when we met on Friday).  Another violist friend (in Belgium) suggested that (in the second movement, m.22, e.g.) I specify the note which I mean to sound . . . which I thought sufficiently clear by just that note with the small circle. (Guido, by all means feel at liberty to chime in.)

Should I bracket a G in that bar for good measure (heh)?  And how should I do that in Sibelius . . . .

Thanks!