Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Just got a call from my publisher . . . seems that someone in Bisceglie has placed an order for the string orchestra version of The Canticle of St Nicholas. There's a piece I haven't thought about in a long while.

AndyD.

"Fair Warning" Movement 1

At times in this first movement there's an almost snake charmer melody in the viola. It sounds Gypsy Slav, or perhaps a tiny further bit East...Magyar?

The prickly pizzicato/piano interaction in the middle really reinforces the overall dynamics. Porcupineal. Let's do it very carefully, baby!

The ending is bordering on grotesque, but I get the feeling that's what you were aiming for.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 14, 2010, 12:12:07 PM
Just got a call from my publisher . . . seems that someone in Bisceglie has placed an order for the string orchestra version of The Canticle of St Nicholas. There's a piece I haven't thought about in a long while.

Great!

Is this first performance of Henning work in Italy?

Have you called NAXOS to ready their microphones?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on September 15, 2010, 04:02:50 AM
Great!

Is this first performance of Henning work in Italy?

Curiously, no, though possibly the first performance of a Henning instrumental work in Italia.  A girls' choir in Firenze once sang the 2-voice original version of the Alleluia in D.

Quote from: CatoHave you called NAXOS to ready their microphones?

Hah!

karlhenning

Quote from: AndyD. on September 15, 2010, 01:47:47 AM
"Fair Warning" Movement 1

At times in this first movement there's an almost snake charmer melody in the viola. It sounds Gypsy Slav, or perhaps a tiny further bit East...Magyar?

The prickly pizzicato/piano interaction in the middle really reinforces the overall dynamics. Porcupineal. Let's do it very carefully, baby!

The ending is bordering on grotesque, but I get the feeling that's what you were aiming for.

Interesting, and thank you, Andy!

karlhenning

Whew! At last I've finished the program notes!

karlhenning

I'm not flying to Rochester until tomorrow, so I'm going to miss it . . . but Dana is going to give an interactive lecture/demo this afternoon.

karlhenning

I misremembered the time, and actually Dana is on with his lecture/demo even now.

karlhenning

Hard to believe, really. Music which I only started plotting in July, and quite challenging technically, Dana is going to play to an audience tonight.

On a less sublime note: hard to believe that I'm flying to Newark. (I'm not really, only flying through.)

At the airport, just waiting to board.

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 28, 2010, 06:09:33 AM
...quite challenging technically...

Hey, Mr Understatement, good luck to all concerned tonight - can't wait to hear how it went. Wish I could be there! I may have missed a meeting but, will recordings be in the offing at any point?

karlhenning

Oh, I'm expecting so! Many thanks for the kind wishes!

karlhenning

In Newark airport now. Still waiting to board, and the plane is to leave in less than half an hour.

karlhenning

karlhenning

karlhenning

Sitting in regal comfort, sipping peach juice chez Dana while he warms up the viola. He tells me that the pianist likes the piece, too. Very warm here in Rochester. Just having a wonderful time.

karlhenning

Wow, what a wonderful performance!

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 28, 2010, 04:05:53 PM
Wow, what a wonderful performance!

Great to read that!

I hope the tape recorders or the Mp3's or 4's or whatever were rolling!   :D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

I am delighted to report that both audio and video documents were made of the event. I don't yet know when they may become available to me. To us. To the wide world.