Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on October 20, 2010, 06:06:47 AM
There are similar quotes about more famous composers, so yeah: idiots.  ;D

Thanks, Dave.

karlhenning

Quote from: Woody AllenSome drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle.

karlhenning

KING'S CHAPEL PRESENTS (http://kings-chapel.org/music2.html)
Music of Karl Henning

Karl Henning, clarinet
Heinrich Christensen, organ

Tuesday, 26 October
12:15PM

King's Chapel
Corner of School & Tremont Streets, Boston, MA 02108

Karl Henning:  Prelude on Kremser, Opus 66 (2002)
Henning:  Handeliana, Opus 83 (2005)
Henning:  Canzona & Gigue, Opus 77 (2004)
Henning:  Fantasy on a Tallis Hymn, Opus 30 (1997)

A suggested donation of $3 is requested at the door. These programs are supported by individual donations.

karlhenning

Quote from: Greg on October 19, 2010, 05:36:45 AM
I listened to the Viola Sonata last night. Very well written- awesome piece!  8)

It has a really contemporary feel to it. The buildup in the middle movement reminds me of the buildup in the middle movement of Adams' Harmonielehre, although there are more Darmstadt-ish influences overall.

Do you have an opus number for it yet?

You still in Florida?  Another friend of mine in Florida just listened, and reports back with a thumbs-up.

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2010, 09:33:41 AM
You still in Florida?  Another friend of mine in Florida just listened, and reports back with a thumbs-up.
Yep. Are they North, Central or South Florida?

karlhenning

greg

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 18, 2010, 05:10:41 AM
And with mighty thanks to Luke, here are links to mp3 versions he has kindly uploaded at 192 bits:

Fair Warning
Suspension Bridge (In Dave's Shed)
Tango in Boston (Dances with Shades)

Now downloading der Henningmusik.

karlhenning

Woot!

Just yesterday, a lady at work called the music "Awesome!"

I am merely reporting the fact; I cannot comment on its accuracy.

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2010, 04:23:24 AM
Woot!

Just yesterday, a lady at work called the music "Awesome!"

I am merely reporting the fact; I cannot comment on its accuracy.

Yeah. But what are they saying on Youtube, that's the question...

(hello, btw - been away for a few days!)

karlhenning

And hello, back, lad!

At least no one on YouTube is telling me that a piece of mine, which has nothing of Chopin or of Hungarian dance to it, reminds him of Chopin or of Hungarian dances
; )

karlhenning

Well, I've sent links to the sound-files to a couple of violists, both the kindly Belgian who vetted the quadruple-stops &c., and the kindly now-Ohioan with whom I once played The Mousetrap.

I've also sent them to an old friend in San Diego, who wants to show the piece to a violist in the orchestra there . . . and to an old virtual friend, a conductor who just generally expresses continued kind interest in my work.

Luke

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 25, 2010, 04:15:09 AM

I've also sent them to an old friend in San Diego, who wants to show the piece to a violist in the orchestra there . . . and to an old virtual friend, a conductor who just generally expresses continued kind interest in my work.[/font]

let's conflate the two....wouldn't this piece make a spectaularly impressive viola concerto, the piano part orchestrated and inflated? I can almost hear the opening in my head now, in rather Tippett-like hues perhaps...wow!

karlhenning

Hmm.  Fascinating notion!  I think I'd as soon try to write a new piece, though.

karlhenning

In anticipation for this, I'm re-charging the Microtrack II

karlhenning

Went tolerably well. Depending on how well the audio took, could be the best-yet document of Kremser. Everything else had something or other go on to keep it from Preferred Document status . . . all the same, a concert in which I need feel no great shame.

karlhenning

I had grand designs of finishing a piece for this.  Didn't seem a particularly unrealistic plan, as I had plenty of time and it won't be an enormous piece.  That must all look like a preamble to making excuses, so I'd best get it done with:  things at work (while on the whole good) have been a notch or two more hectic, and my energy level hasn't been at its peak.  For another project, I might have pressed on;  for whatever reasons, this is a piece which I didn't want to force out.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 27, 2010, 04:14:53 AM
Went tolerably well. Depending on how well the audio took, could be the best-yet document of Kremser. Everything else had something or other go on to keep it from Preferred Document status . . . all the same, a concert in which I need feel no great shame.

No, I still haven't attended to the audio from that recital.

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on September 08, 2010, 10:18:33 AM
Great news on the radio show!

Will it be possible to listen to it via the Internet?  Most radio stations are broadcasting or "webcasting" these days.

Don't know just when the show will be, may be in 2 or 3 weeks.

karlhenning

Dana is conducting his defense tomorrow afternoon, so he asked if I had any further comment on the naming of the movements . . . and I've sent that on to him.