Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

The Castelo novo needs a bit more massaging than I had figured.  Still seeking to Make It Work.

karlhenning

Elsewhere, Joe wrote:

Quote from: Joe_CampbellPost it here please. No off-topic responses. Be it known to ye that I have indeed made a blood pact with the moderators, so that he/she who dares to reply with information other than that of the topic clearly put before us shall be turned into a turnip at midnight.

You have been warned.

So that if, at some point, this Henning writes a piece of the title Turnips at Midnight, you'll know why . . . .

karlhenning

DMC Duo are playing Angular Whimsies in San Diego (again) this afternoon: 4:00PM at UCSD, Camino 153. An old friend of mine will attend, I believe . . . so we may have a report!

karlhenning

Quote from: Apollon on March 22, 2011, 07:21:03 AM
DMC Duo are playing Angular Whimsies in San Diego (again) this afternoon: 4:00PM at UCSD, Camino 153. An old friend of mine will attend, I believe . . . so we may have a report!

My old friend (as it turned out) could not attend. So I haven't heard any word, as yet.

karlhenning

The choir of First Church in Boston are singing Love Is the Spirit as part of the service tomorrow (Sunday the 27th).

The service is broadcast (and live-streamed) on WERS FM in Boston; the service begins at 11:00AM Chowder Time.

karlhenning

Quote from: Apollon on March 26, 2011, 04:46:14 PM
The choir of First Church in Boston are singing Love Is the Spirit as part of the service tomorrow (Sunday the 27th).

The service is broadcast (and live-streamed) on WERS FM in Boston; the service begins at 11:00AM Chowder Time.

And they sang the piece very well, indeed. (I think this was the third time Paul has programmed the piece.)

karlhenning

I wish to announce that I am not planning to leave GMG.

jowcol

Quote from: Apollon on April 11, 2011, 03:30:36 AM

I wish to announce I am relieved, since if you did leave, it would have been likely that it was the McDonald's thread that was the last straw, and I would have been the miscreant most responsible.....
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Cato

Quote from: Apollon on April 11, 2011, 03:30:36 AM

YAY!

Cato will stay as well!   0:)  Until called by a higher power!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scarpia

I see no mention of new compositions.  Does this this mean you're entering a Sibelius-like final phase?  Do composers nowadays still throw unpublished manuscripts on the fire, or do they use paper shredders?

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 12, 2011, 04:48:05 PM
I see no mention of new compositions.  Does this this mean you're entering a Sibelius-like final phase?  Do composers nowadays still throw unpublished manuscripts on the fire, or do they use paper shredders?

Well, unless there is some sudden demise in my near future, I do not see this as a final phase. But, half-yes, I 'slouched into' a sort of sabbatical, and I am only now gradually ramping production back up. A trio for alto flute, clarinet and cello. Thanks for asking, Scarps!

karlhenning

Some of my tones may even twirble . . . .

Scarpia

Quote from: Apollon on April 13, 2011, 05:35:42 AM
Well, unless there is some sudden demise in my near future, I do not see this as a final phase. But, half-yes, I 'slouched into' a sort of sabbatical, and I am only now gradually ramping production back up. A trio for alto flute, clarinet and cello. Thanks for asking, Scarps!

Maybe that's what Sibelius said in 1926.   :P

karlhenning

DavidW

Yeah get back to work Karl!! ;D

Cato

Quote from: Apollon on April 13, 2011, 06:12:56 AM
Some of my tones may even twirble . . . .

Great!  How about a Toccata a la Taneyev?

You could call it...

Ready?

Toccataneyev!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Quote from: Leon on April 13, 2011, 09:32:52 AM
Interesting, I hope it goes well.  I also have recently written a couple of things using alto flute. 

It is a beautiful instrument, isn't it?

Quote from: Cato on April 13, 2011, 09:21:46 AM
Great!  How about a Toccata a la Taneyev?

You could call it...

Ready?

Toccataneyev!   :o

To allude to another thread, I've been thinking that when a Russian sneezes, the sound is mighty close to tchituev! ; )

karlhenning

Quote from: Apollon on March 08, 2011, 05:34:05 AM
The Castelo novo needs a bit more massaging than I had figured.  Still seeking to Make It Work.

Gave up; I didn't think that I had time enough to modify the piece, soon enough that the singers would have sufficient time to rehearse it, around their various other commitments (Holy Week, Easter & all).

May just be one of those pieces which, tailored to a specific group of performers, will not readily find anyone else to perform it.

A pity, because I do think it a mighty fine piece.

For that matter, since I do not know when (if at all) Tapestry may try it again . . . maybe it will never be performed as I composed it.

karlhenning

Without comment just yet . . . .

karlhenning

ditto