Henning's Headquarters

Started by BachQ, April 07, 2007, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2011, 04:47:09 AM
A most curious dream last night, in which Charles & I talked a good deal about our respective music. Whatever else, it must mean that right down into my subconscious, I have full confidence in the Viola Sonata.

And rightly so!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2011, 06:40:22 AM
Wuorinen

Oh I see! That was no dream, you feel asleep while talking to him on the phone! :D

;)

karlhenning

Hah! Charles & I get on fairly well; I understand, though, that he might be averse to people he's on the phone with falling asleep (I am speculating . . . .)

In other news, I met Jaya at FCB this morning; she has perused the first pages of The Mystic Trumpeter, and she is enthusiastic.

Still, I've been making progress mostly on the Cello Sonatina . . . sometime I should fold the new stuff into the Sibelius file . . . .

DavidW

It's still strange to me to think composers working without quill and ink! :D

karlhenning

Oh, I've never written with a quill . . . tomorrow I'll show you the ink draught of the new contrapuntal stuff, though.

Latest Cello Sonatina:

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2011, 09:24:17 AM
Cor, and I've just found a print-out I made of Poe's "Annabel Lee" . . . I remember a strong impulse to set it, but I do not at all recall what I had in mind, voice-wise . . . .

Hey, I remembered what I had in mind for "Annabel Lee"! I selected that poem to set unaccompanied for Carola's crack quartet.

I don't know if I deserve to be so happy just for remembering this . . . but I am.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 05, 2011, 05:25:33 AM
Do you mean that you dreamed about Koechlin? ???

Ack! Nightmare!

That beard haunts me still . . . .

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2011, 04:16:32 PM
Ack! Nightmare!

That beard haunts me still . . . .

Koechlin: Hello Karl, how do you shampoo your beard?  I find that it's all in the conditioner... ;D

Karl: why I never thought I would be having a conversation with one of the members of ZZ top, could you sing that song?

:D

karlhenning

Swear they go crazy 'bout Les heures persanes . . . .

karlhenning

Okay, some raw document . . . much of this sketched during downtime at FCB yesterday morning:

DavidW

Cool!  I can just see you working on that by candle light... of course isn't that what made Bach go blind?

karlhenning

A friend in North Carolina sends me extra candle-ends . . . .

karlhenning

Is it too obvious, with the stretto (or is that not quite right? I mean the interval between entrances getting shorter) and the inversion?

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on June 07, 2011, 06:30:00 PM
Let Lethe have another turn!  I am busy most of tomorrow and on the road to Peoria on Thursday!   :o   Yes, and the sooner I can turn around and leave Illinois the better!   0:)

The Road to Peoria!! I have found the title for the projected harpsichord solo piece.  Perfect, as it is intended for Paul, a native of Niles, Ill.

karlhenning

There are two kinds of living musicians. Those with enough of a name to appear in Listen magazine. And the rest of us.

karlhenning

DavidW

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2011, 10:36:45 AM
There are two kinds of living musicians. Those with enough of a name to appear in Listen magazine. And the rest of us.

It's not helping them any with those of us who have never heard of Listen magazine.   :P

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 09, 2011, 06:57:27 AM
It's not helping them any with those of us who have never heard of Listen magazine.   :P

Arkivmusic's magazine.  It was Joshua Bell on the cover, I received a free copy. :)